ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 owner

Clio 172
Hi everyone,

I've just put a deposit down on a Black 172 (02), very exciting. But immediately I have a slight problem, the tax is due this week on the 31st July which I have no qualms paying, but having just bought the car it will take some time for the V5 to turn up, and I obviously don't have the Tax renewal letter (for the reference #). So I don't think I'll be able to tax it without either of these? Does anyone know?

Not a great start as an owner to get caught with an untaxed car right!? Hopefully I can keep it off the road until this is all sorted, clampers seems to be everywhere around here!

Once I get it I'll put some pics up, it is one of the most immaculate 172's I've seen given its age.

Cheers,
Steve

Clio 172
It is an option, but it is a dealer not a private sale, so the old owner is long gone as it were. Not a huge problem apart from I guess the tax disc would end up posted to the old owners house?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You know when you buy a car and the seller tears the bit off for him and the bit for you. I'm fairly certain I used that bit to tax the car. As I bought my car and taxed it the next day at the post office. My log book v5 only turned up the other day too...

Clio 172
good point, i forgot you get to take a piece from it. I'll find out on Thursday if that is enough! Otherwise I'll be hiding it out of sight somewhere until my V5 comes!

Get the dealer to tax it for you. Use to work at one and they have there ways of taxing cars. They just use the green slip and there own insurance docs.

PH2 Track Car
You can even take the green slip and your own insurance docs to post office to tax it.

Clio 172 Cup
+1 for using the green slip.

Previous owner nicked the tax out of my car when he sold it to the dealer. Strangely enough it's still showing as taxed so he hasn't refunded it yet. Been waiting for the v5 for 2 weeks now, they take ages but I can't get a duplicate disc without it.