ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 owner in NZ Q1

gofaster

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan Pulsar GTi-R
Hey anyone reading this first post.

Recently purchased a 2005 Clio 172 with 60,000km on the clock :)
Used to do a bit of clubsport stuff at local track and now back into Motorkhanas

Today, I took the Clio out to its first sealed Motorkhana and would like advice on 2 things I noticed.
Clutch pedal seemed to "stick" to firewall a few times on some tests, e.g. while quickly depressing clutch to initiate handbrake turn. It popped back after a few seconds. (doesn't do this on standard slower gear changes on the road).
Loud bang from engine bay with more jerky movements (like driving into garage, selecting reverse quickly and backing out)
Could that be broken engine mounts?

Any useful suggestions appreciated, as I am not too mechanically minded.
PS. Love the car, little pocket rocket.
Boys at the track were impressed too, just wish it could handbrake better.
Cheers, John

monaco 172
2005 Clio 172? They stopped them in 03 as far as I know. Unless it was old stock?

Engine mounts could be a cause of the bang. Id recommend a powerflex dogbone mount and new upper engine and gearbox mount. Febi

gofaster

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan Pulsar GTi-R
Thanks for the mount advice Febi.
Regarding year, it was registered new in NZ June 2005.
Not sure of manufactured year, might have a look for a stamp in engine bay but doesn't worry me too much.
Cheers, John

Clio RS 172 2002
Definately a 172. It will also have ESP and the increased-castor wishbones.
The cargo nets are scarce. :)