ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Flame Red owner!

Sport 172 flame Red
Hi All!

had this little beauty about 2 weeks now and took months finding one i really liked!

one saturday morning i took the gamble and travelled 4 hours to view the car, after lots of discussion a deal was done!

few photos from the drive home:

546_10151307762001075_1371726569_n.jpg

215915_10151311315731075_1148282946_n.jpg

and one i took this morning, all photos are pretty shocking and from an iphone but i am hoping to get some propper photos soon!

47358_10151320228771075_894688110_n.jpg

I have had a few cars previous but nothing to rave about or get excited over but Its safe to say i have fallen in love with this little pocket rocket!
The way i see it, its like driving a naughty jack russell!

mods so far:

Team Dynamics wrapped in Toyo Proxes
ITG Panel Filter
Upgraded exterior and interior bulbs to LEDS
C2 stubby aerial

Mods to come:

Lowering Springs
Cup Spoiler
Ktec exhaust system
Front and rear struts

eventually i would like to have a few track days so i will be on the look out in the near future for some decent buckets.

Currently just enjoying driving and constantly grinning on every drive!

Any Mods you may think would suit the car please feel free to let me know and i will stick them on the list!

Thanks Brad.

Sport 172 flame Red
thanks! what splitter would be reccomended for this colour? i was thinking of getting a carbon one

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Miss my flamer, wish i knew what happened to it :(

lol at the typical "cold war camera" pictures everyone does these days.

Sport 172 flame Red
Little update nothing to rave about mind.

Got my f1 Sticker in the week also,

Recieved my members pack yesterday so this morning i set about washing the car and applying my stickers :D

I will be attending tonights car cruise/meet in Peterborough and i will try to hand out the Cliosport flyers!

some photos after a clean:

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Now im Thinking of painting all my calipers silver (this one is a brand new caliper) and i think it looks quite smart behind the black wheels.

What Colour would you guys sudjest i paint my calipers?

Please excuse the missing dust cap.

IMG_1206.jpg

Sport 172 flame Red
mine are black...... haha nice mate yeah i love it! i will be purchasing some springs after xmas is out the way

I meant the car was black. Everything was black!

What springs are you thinking of? Coilovers will go lower ;)

58442_461841253637_5398016_n.jpg

Sport 172 flame Red
i like that! but the roads near me are pretty bad so it would not be a good idea lol so springs are my best option! :)

Eibachs are my first choice

I reckon springs would bring it down nicely if you got a decent set. Sportlines are good for handling but don't lower much.

Sportlines are made by Eibach. They say 55mm drop front and 30mm rear, but realistically they only bring it down a little bit!

Sport 172 flame Red
hmmmm i dont mind coilys its just the price difference that is winning me over as i want to various other mods too

'Cheaper' coilovers are available, I've always opted for used sets off here as they're a lot cheaper than buying new! Springs may suit you though but won't give the best drop, just a subtle one.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I had rokkor coilovers & 15mm spacers on my old flamer, looked epic :)

lovely car!

PH2 Flamer
Ive just got ktecs on mine. If i was to track mine id change them. But its a daily. I prefere turini's, dont look as busy as the 1.2s with all the spokes. Plus id dred cleaning them. Mine are boring enough to clean lol.

Ive just got ktecs on mine. If i was to track mine id change them. But its a daily. I prefere turini's, dont look as busy as the 1.2s with all the spokes. Plus id dred cleaning them. Mine are boring enough to clean lol.
Haha my current one has Turinis - I know the feeling!

Sport 172 flame Red
Lovely 172! this is the one from Chorley ? i remember seeing it for sale, but i didn't have the readies when it was up for sale

it sure was mate, got a lovely deal from the guys at Renault and with 6 months warranty, a full service, full mot, 6 months tax and new brakes all round i just had to travel the 4 hours to get her for £2300 :)

i love the look of flamers with the cup spoiler! i am planning to have a few trackdays next year so suspension set up for track is a must

Sport 172 flame Red

These Wheels take foooooooorrrrrrreeeevvvvveeerrrr to clean! but they look great cleaned up

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks lovely. In honesty, for track days, the stock suspension is more than good enough! Just invest some cash refreshing track rod ends etc.

Having said that, I'm busy building my flamer into a track day car and I plumped for some Bilsteins B14 coilovers. My project thread is here if you want to see the mods I've done to mine;

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?612638-Cub-172-s-Flamer-Project

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Can't beat a nice flamer :)[/FONT]

Last edited:
  Sport 172 flame Red
Thanks for all the help and ideas!

i have a bit of a worrying issue with the gearbox, going into 3rd it seems to crunch but any other gear is fine? I have had a few occasions where it hasn't wanted to go into 3rd :/ once I am in 3rd I can put it in neutral and it will go into 3rd with no problems?

i have done a quick search and it seems common?

I have warranty so I'm not too worried but if anyone could shed some light on what may be happening that would be much appreciated :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It's likely to be the synchro and is likely to get worse. If you have warranty get it back to the garage you bought it from and ask them for either a replacement gearbox or a rebuild. Neither job is cheap, so I'd act on it sooner rather than later so you have plenty of in date warranty to fall back on. The gearboxes in these clios are a weak spot unfortunately, built from chocolate.

It could be the dogbone mount being knackered, and replacing it with an upgraded powerflex item can help. Either way, take it to the garage you have the warranty with and get them to sort it.

Sport 172 flame Red
Ahhh not good!

I shall be calling them today, problem is I bought the car 4 hours away but I need to read through my warranty agreement as I'm sure the dealer said it can be used at various car garages around the country.

Sport 172 flame Red
UPDATE:

Took the car out for a drive to see how things are reference Gearbox, at smooth low speeds the gearbox shifts perfectly but as soon as you ask for a bit of power from 2nd to 3rd the shifts are not as smooth but no crunching, as soon as i go from 4th to 3rd at speed the gearbox doesnt sound happy, driving at low speed then shifting is completely ok.

i have been reading about having the gearbox oil changed to see if there is any difference?

Really quite gutted about this tbh as i havent had the vehicle 5 minutes but i do have warranty so thats not too bad.

BG FF 182
Looks well smart! Lovely colour! IMO though the ITG filters are a waste of money, I had one for about a year then stuck a standard one back in, couldn't tell the slightest difference!

Sport 172 flame Red
No deffo a synco issue. the more strain put on it. the worse it will be.

i will be contacting 519 in bedford tomorrow to get it checked out

Looks well smart! Lovely colour! IMO though the ITG filters are a waste of money, I had one for about a year then stuck a standard one back in, couldn't tell the slightest difference!

i heard good reviews about them and one came up for sale second hand in very good condition so i thought ahh what the hell might aswell, its something to make the mod list longer hey!