ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

netbooks...what you got?

looking to get a netbook for a few trips away soon so dont have to take my vaio laptop, had a look yesterday at a few but the keyboards felt really cheap and didnt look like they would last, anyone bought any recently? any recommendations? i am not sure on the ipad given lack of usb, card reader, flash, camera.

SLK 350
I have my EEEPC 901HD with me on my world tour, it's been an absolute godsend. Depending on the type of travel you're doing, the main concern is battery life. On this I can watch two movie's on a bus journey, or get circa 8 hours of low intensity stuff.

The keyboard is actually something you adapt to very quickly, for instance, I was completely unable to type on this when I got it, but can now touch type quickly and easily on it. Something to consider perhaps.

If I were buying a netbook now, I'd be looking at the Acer Ferrari, though it's battery life suffers because of how powerful it is. The EEEPC 1001HE is also a stellar performer. In honesty, the only time I've really thought "jesus I wish this was quicker" is when I learnt this is incapable of playing most H.264 files reliably - kills the CPU.

The other thing that's made mine so handy is the fact it has an SD slot, meaning my pics come straight from the cam, and get uploaded straight to Flickr, no messing.

All the netbooks around the £300 mark are pretty much the same spect in terms of ariel atom processor, 1gb ram and 160-250gb HD and XP or windows 7.

I just chose one that I liked the look and feel of, keyboard swang it for me and the 8.5 hour battery life! Its an Asus one!

Oh yeah battery life tends to vary between 3 hours and 9 hours on netbooks so that could be a deciding factor for you.

RB 197
I have an Eee PC 1001HA Shell. Does what i need it to do, battery life is 'ok' and it's easy to throw into my bag for travels/work. Also good keyboard and nav pad.
Paid 199 for it :)

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I had an EEPC701 4G SSD until it got stolen when my house was broken into. Highly recommended! However, to replace it I bought a Compaq Mini 110c from Staples for £200 quid which came with XP. They also do the exact same machine with WIndows 7 for £280?!? So I whacked Win 7 on it and its been spot on.

200 quid got me:

Intel Atom
160 gig hard drive
10 inch display
8 hour battery life (In reality I get 6 hour ish)

Had it for about 4 month now and its spot on, keyboards pretty much full size, its fast enough for net, Itunes and Utorrent to be running at same time. I actually haven't used my desktop since getting it lol

I haven't seen any netbooks with cameras/flashes?

You can get the adaptor packs for the iPad so you can slot in camera cards etc.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Been thinking about one of these as well and getting a media pc for films etc.

UR R26
i got the samsung nc10, it has a built in camera. What i use it for i cant fault it.

its still running like brand new and i got it when i was first released.