ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Neros any good on track?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
the cheap argument doesn't hold up tbh, could easily buy some pre loved 15" with used yoko ad08's on them for less than replacing the Pirellis

if the point is to specifically maintain the use of a road tyre then its a nothing of nothing choice, they will all be pretty useless and let go easily leading to understeer and a lot of sounds similar to a stuck pig. However if this is the aim here, maintain the use of inappropriate tyres on a track car then my money would go on Michelin's ps4 is it they're upto now? as said though a set of those in 205/45 fitment for your standard 16" wheels is not financially making any sense to me either

Im with Coops on this one. Buy a set of 15's stick r888r's on it. Use them for track days. Sorted :up:

I'm reaching for the wallet....... no, no, no ...

Part of the challenge is seeing just what can be done with as little spend as possible. I think what'll actually happen is that we'll all come away from the first brake-pads-only track day and probably all agree it'll be more fun with some minor mods.

15s and used trackday tyres sound sensible.
For reference mate I just sold a set of 15" OZ F1's with AD08R's with 7-8mm on for £300, wouldn't recommend the Yoko's for track work mind but you get the gist regarding cost of 15" wheels and tyres.

I used to buy 4 x 048r at 20 quid a tyre 4 sets at a time and get to go chooae my sets using a duro gauge

All sets then matched nicely

Just need a friendly local race team with the right tyres

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Clio 182, Audi A8
Shakedown went well. Road tyres were fun, challenging and frustrating in equal measure. Car was brilliant. What I lack in talent it made up for in a brilliant chassis. Had no idea these things were so much fun. I expected lift-off oversteer to result in reversing into the scenery, but it's incredibly catch-able. Only things that went past it were GT3s, an Atom and (just about) a Fun Cup car. DS2500s were fine for five laps.

Tyres.... hmmm.... I think I'll have to jump, but it somehow feels like a bit of a cheat sticking non-road tyres on it.

Clio 182, Audi A8
So, I'm beginning to warm to the idea of 15s. Will all Clio 15 inch wheels work with/fit 195 50 15 A048s...?

Clio 182, Audi A8
Not yet fitted, but I'd imagine different league. Have run them on other cars, but years ago. Found a friendly race shop who gets lightly-used cast-offs. 200 squids a set.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
This is the whole point: the idea is to go about this by spending the minimum possible. It's not about the mods, it's about running with what we've got. I've got Neros.
Four pints before we settled on this idea we were arguing about runaway costs in F1.

If its on a budget just get down the track and run them off, you will have fun regardless. Ive had a couple of great days on budget tyres on track when funds are low.

Edit - just seen that you have used them. Go 15s now

Swift Sport
Imprezaworks: you're right, 15s or a dedicated spare set could be an option, but it's a little challenge I've set myself: simplification. It sounds like you might know how expansive and expensive things can get on race or track day cars in pursuit of removing even the tiniest of performance or dynamics niggles. Been there, done it and had the bill. So, simplification: what's the minimum I can do to the car and still have fun? If you were told there's only one thing you could do to a track day car, then it'd be a brakes upgrade all day long. If there was two, then you'd add tyres. If there was one thing that'd drive you mad, it'd be understeer. I think I can sense oversteer in my 182, and understeer is a fwd thing anyway. I don't know the car yet, though. I've not even worked out what all the buttons do.

But then, of course, the day after I first take it on track - assuming I don't leave it in the scenery - I'll be making a list of things I want to do to it.
You sound like me!
Only problem I find with trackdays on road tyres is I round the shoulders of the tyres off way before they get low on tread.

Last edited:

Clio 182, Audi A8
Hmm. Right. Got a proper tyre pressure gauge yesterday. Used to have one that cost as much as a set of tyres, but just fumbled along with a supermarket one past couple of weeks. Turns out that what I thought were 33/30 tyre pressures according to supermarket gauge night before a track day were actually 48/46 when I checked them after a ten minute 30mph run to the shops yesterday. No wonder it was a bit lively on track on road tyres the other day: .

You cant go wrong with the A048s, the difference will be staggering compared to the utter tosh neros. I've just got hold of a used set of Kumho V70a which are meant to be a brilliant all-rounder.