ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Needing Advice / thoughts

E46 M3, Clio 182
Currently own a 05 182 FF with under 48K, had the car a year, no problems, just had a service etc., tidy car, needing absolutely nothing!

I haven't taken part in any track days yet, but it's something i would really like to get into so I’m thinking to sell up, get a phase 1 and start slowing building a track car (cage, stripped, seats to begin with) while using as a daily. Then buy a new daily and go down the cams, ITB's route and have it just for enthusiastic drives and track days.

I’m 20, I have a fairly good income but it's not the best, so it would be a slow, gradual project.

Now I’m stuck on whether to bite the bullet and just go for it or wait a few years.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Use your 182 - make sure there's decent brakes (Pagids from Danny519 will do) and unless you're only going to do a taster session, from my experience, get some decent rubber - road rubber will not do you any favours on more than a couple of laps.

I used the GF's old 182 for a couple of track days earlier in the year and LOVED it. Just wish I'd stuck some R888s or AD08s on :(

Do some homework on the whole 'making a track car' .. 99.9% of bods on here that do just that, never take it on track, sell up or break the car within a year.

CS logic at its best.

Daniel, Frayz and others will confirm that a standard 182 is a hoot around a track. You don't need to spend thousands to have fun.

Go for it, you're only young once!!

What's your reasoning for selling the 182 and getting a PH1? Guessing you could get about £2.5k cash back and use that to fund some upgrades? And strip the PH1 to the bare metal rather than ruining a more modern and valuable car?

Obviously though changing to a new car you don't know what's wrong with it and what could go wrong. You know your car is fine and there are no surprises lurking. Not that much is a big deal apart from the cambelt anyway.

If money isn't tight then you could just slowly upgrade you current 182. They don't actually need very much to become awesome track day cars. I've taken mine a lot further than I originally intended and it's only a little bit better. But I'm upgrading and changing things for more of a hobby and learning curve at the same time.

But selling up, getting £3500 for the 182 and buying a £1000 172 is not a bad idea. Once you start you won't be able to stop.

E46 M3, Clio 182
Yeah that's my biggest concern, i know my car and a new car could be problems. But im weighing up if its worth the gamble and like you said, i will then have money spare for mods ;) think i just need to man up and go for it! LOL

Definitely start doing track days. I'm addicted and can't get enough of them!

You just need to weigh up whether you want to cash in and have some money spare for upgrades, but also potential for little things to pop up. Could end up finding an ideal cheap 172 though that has nothing wrong with it.

If I were to do it again. I'd probably buy a cheap 172 and go from there. Rather than my 38K mile 182.

EDIT: Just to clear things up and to agree with Rob below.. When I say I'd get a cheap 172, I mean if I were going back in time to before I even had my 182. No way would I sell my current car which I know and have looked after to get a cheaper one. Sounds a bit contradicting but I know what I mean in my head.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'd not be selling your 182 that's for sure. No matter what you think, it's fairly certain it won't save you money.

You currently own a car that, by your own admission, has been taken care of by you. You're then going to buy a ph1, that you personally don't know anything about. You'll end up spending bits and bobs here and there, braided lines, new discs and pads, cambelt probably.. with all of these things it basically won't take long until you've spent you're entire budget on getting the ph1 up to standard.

If I were you, I'd look at some buckets for the 182, either Trophy Recaro's, or if you're wanting to keep something comfortable, or some bimarco futuras if you're looking for something more serious.

If you want to start on the 182, the following bits will get you in a car that'll be amazing on track days.

Buckets seats
Upgraded pads and brake fluid
Coilovers if you have the budget, eibach sportlines if you don't.
Harnesses if you feel the need
Yanoo gear shift kit

With the above you'll be flying.

Then, if you want, there's nothing to stop you ITB'ing the 182 when funds appear.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Slippy tyres can be fun ;)

But yes, some decent rubber would go down a treat.

Not in a FWD car trying to pull out of corners !!

Seriously - book an evening session or taster session at Brands/Bedford with the car as it is and see how you get on.

work for BMW
you said yourself your 182 is tidy with no problems , why risk selling it for a potentially fault ridden 172? Just spend a bit of money on upgrading the 182 track , tyres , brakes and go do a track day!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Stick with what you know, so keep your 182.

Do a taster session to see how you get on (you'll love it)

Then just upgrade things as and when you need them/can afford them. Decent front pads and fluid is one of the first things you will need to change and then go from there.

Get a second hand set of 15" alloys off here with track focused tyres on, r888 or Federal RSRs are what I'm trying ATM. Will save you a lot in tyres costs with the smaller wheels.

Too many people spend a fortune on fancy coil overs, cages etc and can't afford to do many track days a year (it ain't a cheap hobby unfortunately). I'd personally rather do more trackdays in a well maintained standard -ish car (decent brakes and lowering springs aside).
Its all about having fun in your car at end of day