ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need urgent help!!

clio 1.2
Just been sitten in the car and turned on the ignition and....NOTHING. So i waited and kept tryin every so often and after around 25mins it started, this has been happening every now and then for the last two weeks and is really doing my head in.

One thing i have notcied is that the battery light on the dash comes up in the bottom left, i have just got my clio last month and is my first car so not really clued up on this sort of thing so it may sound dumb but...do i need to change the battery??

many thanks

clio 1.2
cheers m8 any ideas on how to keep i running for at least one more day sounds like its on its backside right now

visualize whirled pe
Could be a battery prob. Easy things to try.

Does it sound like the starter motor (the wirwirwir noise on start up) is slow to turn (more like wiiiiiirrrr...wiiiiiiirrrr....) when it does start.

Do the lights go dim with the engine off.

like above check connections are they loose / damaged.

If so, possibly a new battery is needed.

visualize whirled pe
BTW every time you start the car you cain the battery, especially in the cold weather, the engine is harder to turn, if it's dark the lights are on, the heater and the heated rear window it all takes it's toll.

Try to start the car with foot on clutch, less resistance.

Dont be stop starting the car frequently.

A good drive might help the battery but once they are buggered they usually never recover if they are old, a charge will just pep them up a bit.

My old Scirocco had a knackerd battery and it made the car a real dog, I changed the battery and coil and it started / went like a new car again.

clio 1.2
Thanks 4 all the help...the motor is pretty much normal i think i turn it on it wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs then stops after 5 seconds or so, just had the car out on a run so fingers crossed it will start for work, i will look at the connections in better light but i think its the battery with the light comming on and all. how much would a new starter motor cost out of interest.

thanks

visualize whirled pe
Not lightly to be the starter motor if the battery is showing signs of dying but it still starts. If you jump start the car from a jump start box or other vehicle and the engine starts ok then the starter motor will be fine.

A new battery could cost from £30 to £70 for a decent one with a 3 year warranty. I dont know what a gear box would cost, I fitted one to my mk2 golf years ago, that was about £25 from a breakers, like I said doubt it is the starter.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
you need an 8mm spanner for the terminals. and a 13mm socket on a rachet with extension for the clamp. job done

Cheers m8 go get a battery tomorrow not hard to fit are they?
Not hard to get one at all, if you a costco member they're a bit cheaper than other places. Your probably looking at £40 (ish) for one.

Depending on the age of your car and if you've got the standard stereo in it, you'll need to put the radio code in once you change the battery over.

Clio MK2 (1.2)
hope your not gettin same problem as me, my car starts when it wants, and when i realy need it doesnt do nothing, ust turns over & over, until in the end i hav to disconnect battery to reset Ecu,, and it works :D