ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need TV advice

Fiat Panda 100hp
I bought this from ebuyer last night http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145386

I didn't read up properly on the spec, and its doesn't have 1080i/p I don't think. Just called ebuyer and its too late to amend the order or cancel it.

So I would have to receive it, send it back and then re do the whole thing.

The question is, would I miss 1080p/i? I know hardy anything is in 1080p. I don't have skyHD but thinking about getting a PS3. So would 720 be sufficient for my needs?

sufficient yes but so is water but beer is much nicer
720=water 1080p=beer ;)

simple as i can put it lol
depending how close you sit you may notice the difference but maybe not

Octy VRS
It does have 720p/1080i but not 1080p. At that size you aren't going to really notice and it will look fine with the PS3.

Bumder With A Buffer
Be carefull about sending things back to ebuyer.

We wanted a graphics card at work and our receptionist went to order it. Unfortunately rather than selecting that unit she scrolled down to the bottom of the page and tick all those "You might be interested in these" boxes.

Box turns up and we have a 32" PC monitor a 28" Tv 32" tv and a few other things. Rung up ebuyer and they refused to take them back (even though they were never opened). Even spoke to the owner of Ebuyer who said it wasn't there fault so they wont take it back and to employ someone sensible (which he is right on in some respect!!).

They offered to take the stuff back for and give us £1200 back??? The original order was £2000 odd i think.

Maybe its different for a business who buys stuff but still I didn't understand it and they were generally c***s :)

A4 Avant
I don't think you'll notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 37" set unles your sat 1' infront of it.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Reading up on it and it seems the progressive 720 is better than the 1080 interlaced picture. Makes sense, theres only 540 lines on the screen at once on 1080i as oppose to the 720p.

As above though it might have 1080i.

on a 1366x768 screen like you have there is always 768 lines on screen hence the resolution
if you display a 720p image it re-samples it to 768 lines a 1080i display will always show 768 lines too it resamples it down

on a 1920x1080 diplay with 720p input it will display 1080 lines
with a 1080i input it will display 1080 lines at once a lcd tv cant display an interlaced image its progressive by nature so combines the image to one frame (deinterlacing)

1080i or 720p will be more than enough for now.

Hardly anything actually broadcasts in 1080p yet.

E.g. Xbox 360 games are at 1080i / 720p although the Xbox itsel will broadcast at 1080p.

You'll be more than happy with 1080i on that screen tbh.

vers le haut doigt milieu
1080i is exactly the same as 1080p but interlaced scan gives you on frame split into separate fields to give u half a frame in fields writing half the lines in intervals of every 50th of a second. However Progressive scan is sending the same image twice every 25th of a second, this reduces flicker and projects in more cinematic term as to the format 35mm projector. Basically its cool if it doesn't have 1080p unless your looking for (or understand) the above.

There is no need to worry mate ur TV is perfect.

Last edited:
  Clio 197 F1 & 911 C2S
OK - I've lost count of the times I've made this post on various car forums, but here goes again.

There is no such thing as an interlaced image on an LCD or plasma screen. These TVs are, quite simply, progressive by nature. Because this type of screen has fixed pixels, there is no form of scanning involved (as with CRT), and therefore you don't need to draw alternate lines from the top left to bottom right.

What actually happens when you feed an LCD or plasma with a 1080i image, is that it marries up each half of each frame and displays them as a single, whole frame.

HOWEVER - and this is the important part - if you feed your TV a 50Hz 1080i signal, you will basically be viewing a 25Hz 1080p image, because each one of those 50 frames per second is only half a frame. If you're watching a 1080p 50Hz feed (on a compliant TV of course) you're getting 50 frames per second - the result being smoother motion etc.

HOWEVER - yes there's another however - the pinacle of image quality isn't just 1080p, it's 1080p 24Hz. This is because movies are shot at 24fps, so if your TV can accept a 1080p 24Hz signal, it means that no post processing nonsense has been applied to the film - anyone who understands what 3:2 pulldown is will know that this is very good news, and anyone who doesn't, I'm afraid it would take me most of the night to explain.

Now some of you are probably thinking that 24fps isn't going to look particularly smooth, and you'd be right. This is why most modern TVs will apply some kind of even pulldown technique to compensate - this can be anything from 3:3 up to 5:5 pulldown. This basically means that each frame is repeated several times a second to appear smooth to the human eye, but because none of the frames are being altered in any way (as they are using 3:2 pulldown), there's no degredation in image quality. Hence a 1080p 24Hz source with 5:5 pulldown applied, will result in a 1080p 120Hz picture.

To address another point made above - yes, the larger the screen, the more beneficial a full 1,920 x 1,080 panel is, but that doesn't mean that a smaller screen won't still look better with a full HD panel. Basically, a full HD screen with 1:1 pixel mapping is displaying each and every pixel of the source exactly as it should be, with no need for scaling. This method will always produce a sharper picture, with everything else being equal.

It is however worth remembering that resolution is only one asptect of image quality, and actually not the most important by any stretch. For me, nothing is more important than good black level response, which is why I'd take a 1,024 x 768 8th gen Pioneer Kuro over almost any full HD LCD screen. Luckily I have a full HD 9th gen 50in Kuro now, which is, quite simply, the best TV on the planet right now.

Another majorly important aspect is picture processing, which is why you pay more for a TV from the likes of Philips, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony etc. Far cheaper TVs will have similar specs, but won't have anywhere near as good picture processing, which usually results in standard definition looking terrible - which unfortunately, is what you'll still be watching a lot of the time.

Hope that's useful :)