ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some camshaft help

ph2 172
Hi, I'm after some cam advice for my K4J engine. I'm looking for some aftermarket cams and catcams do some for the K4M. A couple of people on here said they will fit. I'm hoping they know what they are talking about cause the K4M has a different stroke to the K4J.
Anyway I've tried reading on the web about understanding cam profiles but I just cant understand it. So could you guys please explain what these cams would do to my engines performance and how they would shift torque/bhp around the rev range?

partnr.
duration
duration
maximum lift
lift at TDC
parts
application
[data link]
[0.1mm+cl]
[1.0mm+cl]
[cl=0]
[cl=0]
[-]
(TURBO)

O.E.M.
238 / 229°
189 / 182°
9.15 / 7.95mm
0.30 / 0.50mm
O.E.M.
HYDR: O.E.M.

234 / 226°
195 / 188°
9.25 / 8.25mm
0.45 / 0.65mm
O.E.M.
HYDR: sport
245 / 234°
204 / 195°
9.50 / 9.25mm
0.75 / 0.95mm
O.E.M.
249 / 245°
211 / 204°
9.70 / 9.50mm
1.05 / 1.35mm
O.E.M.

I sort of understand the duration length differences between oem and aftermarket cams but that's about it.
Thanks
James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Different stroke wont effect what cams fit.

Even the wildest of those cams you are looking at are still relatively tame.

I've no direct experience of that specific engine though to give you exact figures of what each will do I'm afraid.

I'd probably go straight for the hottest of those though personally, assuming they can assure you that they dont need other changes like pocketed pistons due to the extra lift (doubt they will though, still pretty tame like I said)

ph2 172
Thanks for the reply, I've seen a couple of the 1.6 k4m projects use the 704's but surely there is a reason behind the other two cams being for sale.
I'm not after some wild cams cause it's an every day car that needs to be drive able. There are "race" cams available but need modifications to fit and probably loose all bottom end power.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is no reason for them not to offer intermediate cams as well, could be useful to people who care about emissions, but personally I would go straight for the 704s on the basis that the others wont really feel like much change.

As I said though, im basis this on experience of other engines, not your specific one.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
704's are still quite mild really. What else are you doing to the engine? There are other cam profiles available which are not listed, but you will need to change your valve springs. There are 7 further profiles to choose from for the K4, 3 of which I'd say are suitable for consideration in a near standard engine

ph2 172
So far I've got K&N 57i gen 2, 4-2-1 raceland manifold, soon to be de-cat 2inch straight through with a couple of silencers in there too, its had a superchips remap.
Next step to me seems like cams, then that should just about do it.... unless I decide to port/polish the head and match my plastic inlet.

ph2 172
Not sure what I'd need to do that. I think if I went K4M I'd definitely get rid of the FBW throttle for a cable, so I think I'd need
K4M engine
ECU
accelerator pedal + cable

E36 M3. 182
IIRC the cable throttle k4m were in the ph1's and as such you might have issues with the car side of the electrics (UCH etc.....), so might be best getting a later one fitted then seeing if its really necessary to bin the fbw throttle. Youll need a proper mapping session done if you change the cams, so the mapper might well be able to get it running well on the fbw......

E36 M3. 182
And for tuning ideas, there were threads a while back by mini-valver and hutchie who had tuned up k4ms..

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
for my k4m ive got a 4-2-1 raceland manifold,decat 704s to be fitted but wont be on the road till march as soon as its on the road will be going on the rollers for a power run so can give you an idea then what it will be hoping for 120bhp ish