ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help setting up my Wireless PC router for xbox live

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hey

Anyone out there who has set up a Netgear DG834G wireless router before. I am currently trying to set it up with no joy.

Basically i ordered it off ebay and it come with no disc or instructions, i have been to the official site and thats not much use.

My current Broadband comes through ADSL, i have plugged all the wires in and my wireless router is next to my PC and is connected using an ethernet cable. The only reson i need the wireless router is for my xbox about 30-40 feet away in my bedroom.

Im not sure if i havent set up the right type of network or whether the 2 things are too far away but the router is saying it cant establish a connection to the internet and the xbox cant find anything

Any help would be great, either posting back on here or adding me to your msn addy Rahni25@hotmail.com

Cheers

Carlos

Fiesta ST
just a basic check:

that Router has ADSL modem built in i think? So what you need to do is from you filter thats plugge3d into your BT socket plug it straight into your router. Using your PC and internet explorer type in the IP of your router eg: 192.168.1.1 login into your router using username/password. Down the left hand side you'll have tabs for different settings. go to ADSL tab and fill in your ADSL details (username/password) this will connect your router to your ADSL provider. Again down the left you'll have tabs for setting up wireless connection. Best to use WEP security and use a key. This key you'll need when you want to log your xbox onto the network.

ok cool thanks for the reply

I have done most of that though and the router still says it cant connect to the internet, i have reset the factory settings to give it another go because i did add a lot of crap to it trying to get it to work.

Another thing do i need to set up some sort of network seen as my ethernet wire is running between the router and the pc, as atm i dont think it is set up and that could possibly be the reason why, as i said above no manual though to check whether this is what should happen

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
ok 1 thing at a time. Getting the Router to connect to your ISP.

Use PPPoAif that dont work try PPPoE

Login in user name: type out your full ISP username

Password: type in your CHAP password for the ISP

Who's your ISP with?
What error code do you get?

My Isp is NTL, freedom broadband, its through ADSL because i got no phat broadband wires out in the sticks where i live. the message just comes up saying that the router would go to netgear homepage if it was set up right and that it cant find a connection.

Just done what you said and it says

"LCP is allowed to come up"

Atm my method of connection is an extension lead comming to an adsl splitter, and then i have set it up as it says in the book and as you explained. The router has an ethernet cable going into the pc and another cable going into the splitter which came with the router. Its ADSL connection currently as there arent any companies with wires down here

if its easier to add me to msn than repost on here my addy is above, i can show you some screenshots then if thats ok

Fiesta ST
Sorry confused here a little. If your PC is currently using a ADSL modem and your on the internet your router will not beable to connect to your ISP aswell. The router has a ADSL modem built into it. The router will connect to your ISP then your PC connects to the router via Ethernet. The PC will then use the router as a network connection to access the internet.

That make sense?

Fiesta ST
see diagram

Nothing else should be plugged into the ADSL Filter - no usb ADSL Modems etc

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 39
Right this is how the wiring is set up atm. I need a ADSL splitter on every socket for phones in the house that are in use so there are a few around the house. Where my pc is the phone point is over the other side of the room so i have a splitter there with an extension lead coming to the pc.

The picture shows three wires. the splitter coming out of the ADSL hub is the one that come with my router, the White wire goes to the router and the black wire goes to the extension lead from the phone point. The single black wire coming out of the hub is the usb lead. Hope this helps

hehe seem to be posting stuff at the same time right ill try that and give u an update in a bit, if nothing comes of it atleast our post count is up a bit :p

Fiesta ST
right thats where your going wrong :)

See my diagram (took me ages that!!)

You can't use the Speed touch Modem and the router. The router has the USB modem built in. Best plan is to follow my diagram. that means unplugging your Speed touch modem completely. The ADSL filter can only have a phone plugged in the phone side of the filter and the Router plugged into the data side. log into your router via IP and try to connect

tried to connect used the wizard and for some reason i got this screen come up

Does that mean the password i have input for my ISP is wrong?