ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need help identifying a williams lump

hi people, needing some help,

ive just gone and bought a clio 16v off a mate and its just been rolling roaded giving out 156 bhp, its had an exhaust and a k & n slapped on it,

from looking at the spec sheets 4 a 16v it reads that they give out 137 bhp and that a williams gives out 150bhp,

im not to sure what lump ive got, is there any visual differences under the bonnet that i can look for to say if its a williams,

everything says that its a 16v

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Simple really.

When booting it does it seem to start going better from 4k?

williams and trophy

under the inlet manifold is a tin plate..its on the gearbox side of the block..its a bit tricky to get ur head in to see it but itl either be f7r (2.0)or f7p(1.8) thats stamped on the plate........

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I think my way is easier! lol

That plate is well hard to get to and read!

ive been told the rev limiter is at 6 and a half thou, ive just bought it off a friend, he wasnt sure either, only cost me 900 bux, very clean aswell, soon as it gets passed 4k its off

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by j.leggz on 25 October 2004
y would it b a dodgy rr

Because the majority of Rolling Roads arent calibrated correctly and give false results. I cant beleive how anyone can buy a car and not know what engine is in it? How long did your friend have it? Did you buy the car without checking any of the history or something?

172 Cup

Ego boost, lighten your wallet, maybe better throttle response, thats about it.

Dastek or similar would be a different story however...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

To give you an idea mate - most valvers with a chip, filter, exhaust and decat only make about 150-60bhp.

Oh and i have a HillPower chip which deffo made a difference. Not that much quicker but deffo smoother and you get the higher limiter.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

If it redlines at 6,500 rpms then it sounds like a Williams engine or a 2.0 of sorts.

(I know of some one that bought a 1.8 from a breakers only to realise it was a Williams engine - it does happen)

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Dastek unichip - piggyback ecu that is re-prograbable and actually gives you a gain in power unlike plug and play chips.

Also can be removed easily in times of emergancy!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Bout £200 incl VAT.

Id so some proper research before going and buying one just cause its cheaper than a UniChip.

Piggyback or standalone ECUs are far far more programable than simple chips.

Personally though on a normally aspirated car I wouldnt worry about it unless your having headwork and cams done.

the dastec uni chip will cost over £400+ all in and wont give a higher limit until u buy another part for it where as the hill power chip will lift limiter on willy/valver and will cost about £170 fitted with club discont all depends what buget u have

what colour is the dot on the dip stick, if its a valver it will be white or black,
a williams had a blue dot.
(however i have heard that some blue ones found their way on to valvers !)

BMW 320d Sport

Unless youve driven both you wont tell the difference by when it gets going, in a Willy its a little lower down but theyre both full up on the cam by 4500-5000. Best way is either the engine tag which will be F7R for a 2.0 engine and F7P for a 1.8, but this is tricky to find. Easiest way is just to cane it to the limiter. If it hits around 6500 before it calls time, then its a Willy. If it gets around 7000 then its a valver.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Quote: Originally posted by willy 0329 on 25 October 2004

the dastec uni chip will cost over £400+ all in and wont give a higher limit until u buy another part for it where as the hill power chip will lift limiter on willy/valver and will cost about £170 fitted with club discont all depends what buget u have
Just raising the rev limiter is about as usefull as a chocolate kettle IMO.

Williams hits peak power around 6K rpms - then it drops off so why raise the limit to say 7k rpms when your getting less power there?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

zorst manifolds are different, williams one is tubular! the willy engine in mine untill i changed the manifolds had a big kick at 4k same as the valver, but if ur limiter is 6400 then its most likely a williams lump!

boot it from 2krpm, and see if it pulls well, if so its a 2.0 if not its a 1.8

MERCEDES CLS AMG

clio 16valve engine code - F7P 722

Williams engine code - F7R 700

The engine code can be found on the block - to the r/h/s of the oil filter - little silver tin plate 5cm x 3cm pot rivetted on.