ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need detailing advice!

Renault Clio Mk2
So I've just cleaned my car using some halfords shampoo, lambswool mitt and some microfiber cloths, cane up looking nice but I'm sure it could be better! My question is what else should I buy? I was thinking a Polish and wax to shine and protect it, but need some advice as I'm new to detailing! Here's a photo of her all shining :)
image.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Looks nice and clean ! That red can be really rewarding when polished and waxed. Ive only hand polished once before as it truly is knackering. I would probably invest in a polishing machine but admit they can be expensive as you will probably pay around a 100 including a few pads.
If you dont want to buy a polishing machine then you could just buy this stuff:

Tar and glue remover - this will remove most of the contaminants on the paint which washing will not get rid of. the paintwork needs to be really clean otherwise you will have problems with waxing.
vp-citrus-tar-glue-500ml.jpg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engin...pro-citrus-tar-and-glue-remover/prod_586.html
-----------------------
This is really useful too for decontaminating the paint but is optional.
carpro-iron-ls-500ml.jpg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1352

I would stay away from a clay bar unless you are going to polish as it will induce swirl marks.

Once the car is really clean you can wax it which should hide a lot of swirls and make it really shiny. There are loads of waxes http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/cat_4.html and for the price I dont think you can go wrong with :
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/chemical-guys-xxx-hardcore-paste-wax/prod_132.html
cg_xxx.jpg

You will also need to buy a pads for the wax and a couple of thick microfiber cloths to buff it off with.

Renault Clio Mk2
That's amazing! Thank you so much! Couple of questions, should I be using the bug and tar remover with washing? And how often should I wax the car? I was thinking a weekly wash and then wax whenever I need to? Thanks

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
That's amazing! Thank you so much! Couple of questions, should I be using the bug and tar remover with washing? And how often should I wax the car? I was thinking a weekly wash and then wax whenever I need to? Thanks
You wont need to use tar remover often. Wax once every 3-4 months and top up with quick detail spray

Renault Clio Mk2
You wont need to use tar remover often. Wax once every 3-4 months and top up with quick detail spray
How often? Or is that dependent on road conditions and stuff? Just when needed then? And oh okay! Thought it needed to be done more often that that :) sorry I'm new to detailing, what exactly is quick detail spray? And how often should I be doing that? Much appreciated :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
How often? Or is that dependent on road conditions and stuff? Just when needed then? And oh okay! Thought it needed to be done more often that that :) sorry I'm new to detailing, what exactly is quick detail spray? And how often should I be doing that? Much appreciated :)
A decent wax will see you a few months durability. I normally top up with QD spray once every 3 weeks

Basically its a wax top up or a quick show and shine. Theres plenty of good detail sprays out there

Zaino Z6
Bouncers done & dusted
Sonax brilliant shine detailer
ODK entourage
KKD mist x

Theres a few very good ones for you

Renault Clio Mk2
A decent wax will see you a few months durability. I normally top up with QD spray once every 3 weeks

Basically its a wax top up or a quick show and shine. Theres plenty of good detail sprays out there

Zaino Z6
Bouncers done & dusted
Sonax brilliant shine detailer
ODK entourage
KKD mist x

Theres a few very good ones for you
Thanks for all that information! Will hopefully pick up a bottle of one of those soon then! Is it just spray on, wipe and wipe off? Also is a weekly wash and dry suffice?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
A quick detailer is a great product. I wash my cars weekly, religiously. I also use a qd after every wash, not really needed but it's something I like to do. Invest in a good micro cloth that lasts. The cheap ones are 'ok' but easier with a good one.

My method isn't exactly up there with the pros but time over effort suits me.

Wash with two buckets. One bucket with soapy suds, something ph balanced ideally, ph will be on the tin so to speak.

I cleanse the car with lime prime. Cleansing is a bit like when your better half (not you Obvs, as man! ;).) uses a face wash, gets rid of any old polish/wax etc.

A nice easy polish, there's loads to pick from, try not to get carried away and spend hours looking for one. I like the autosmart range as I get that through work ;).

Wax. Again, lots to pick from. Could try a sample pot the dodo juice. About £6 for a 30ml pot on eBay or alike.

Quick detailer. Again lots. I've got done and dusted which is popular.

Sealent. Used instead of wax. Easier to apply and remove imo, well depending on which one.

Where are you based?

Renault Clio Mk2
A quick detailer is a great product. I wash my cars weekly, religiously. I also use a qd after every wash, not really needed but it's something I like to do. Invest in a good micro cloth that lasts. The cheap ones are 'ok' but easier with a good one.

My method isn't exactly up there with the pros but time over effort suits me.

Wash with two buckets. One bucket with soapy suds, something ph balanced ideally, ph will be on the tin so to speak.

I cleanse the car with lime prime. Cleansing is a bit like when your better half (not you Obvs, as man! :wink:.) uses a face wash, gets rid of any old polish/wax etc.

A nice easy polish, there's loads to pick from, try not to get carried away and spend hours looking for one. I like the autosmart range as I get that through work :wink:.

Wax. Again, lots to pick from. Could try a sample pot the dodo juice. About £6 for a 30ml pot on eBay or alike.

Quick detailer. Again lots. I've got done and dusted which is popular.

Sealent. Used instead of wax. Easier to apply and remove imo, well depending on which one.

Where are you based?
I'm also hoping to give her a weekly wash! It's nice to see the car actually clean for once haha! So you use the qd weekly after washing and drying? Or after washing before drying? Bought some megs microfiber cloths earlier and they're much better than the cheap rubbish I had before haha! Thanks for all that information, very informative without being too much for me to take in haha! I'm in Banbury, Oxfordshire!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If you want complicated take a trip over to the detailing thread. It's hugely informative and some of the members are brilliant at this stuff. Wash, dry, qd, admire. If I think on and you want to cover postage I can send you some stuff to try if you want

Renault Clio Mk2
If you want complicated take a trip over to the detailing thread. It's hugely informative and some of the members are brilliant at this stuff. Wash, dry, qd, admire. If I think on and you want to cover postage I can send you some stuff to try if you want
Yeah I've been trying to educate myself as much as I can haha! Sorry didn't quite understand that last bit of your message?

Renault Clio Mk2
I have bits and bobs that you can try if you want. Wax, sealent, Polish etc. I could stick some in a box and send it to you. Only charge is the postage, products are free. Entirely upto you but the offer is there.
Only if you're not needing them, that would be amazing!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Here's a little how to and product list :smile:

Pre wash - auto finesse citrus power, valet pro citrus pre wash etc

Rinse

Wash - you're looking for a shampoo with no gloss enhancers if you want to use wax. Auto finesse lather is decent.

Rinse

Decontaminate - autosmart tardis, iron x (lemon scented one is a must!) and a clay bar (use the clay only after chemical decontamination!)

Rinse, re wash and dry.

Polish - an all in one like auto glym super resin polish or auto finesse tripple are ideal for starting out. They have mild abrasives, cleansers and lay down a little protection.

Wax - get some sample pots to see which you like before buying a full tub.

Plastics - auto finesse revive is brilliant on plastics. Especially after wiping them with isopropyl alcohol.

Wheels - fk1000p sealant, it's high temp so will stand up to brake dust... But I like auto finesse tough coat because it's spray on and buff off.

Look into glazes as well to hide deeper scratches And swirls

Renault Clio Mk2
Here's a little how to and product list :smile:

Pre wash - auto finesse citrus power, valet pro citrus pre wash etc

Rinse

Wash - you're looking for a shampoo with no gloss enhancers if you want to use wax. Auto finesse lather is decent.

Rinse

Decontaminate - autosmart tardis, iron x (lemon scented one is a must!) and a clay bar (use the clay only after chemical decontamination!)

Rinse, re wash and dry.

Polish - an all in one like auto glym super resin polish or auto finesse tripple are ideal for starting out. They have mild abrasives, cleansers and lay down a little protection.

Wax - get some sample pots to see which you like before buying a full tub.

Plastics - auto finesse revive is brilliant on plastics. Especially after wiping them with isopropyl alcohol.

Wheels - fk1000p sealant, it's high temp so will stand up to brake dust... But I like auto finesse tough coat because it's spray on and buff off.

Look into glazes as well to hide deeper scratches And swirls
cheers for that! think i'll buy a few of those products after pay day:D broke atm haha

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Righty then @sprentice

I have a few bits for you to try if you want, just need to grab a small box (gigady) in work.

Lime prime-cleanser.
Autosmart Polish-mmm polish
Done and dusted- qd
50cal-glaze.
And my all time fav sealent- nano sealent
Will throw in the applicator pads and a couple more

F9BC78E7-265F-4FB4-B2E7-8B03A63B28B1_zpshgxkci3d.gif

Renault Clio Mk2
Haha I know it's not cheap but I'm not going to go all out, just some of the very basics but good quality products :) already found out how expensive running a car is and I haven't even passed my test yet hahaha

Renault Clio Mk2
Righty then @sprentice

I have a few bits for you to try if you want, just need to grab a small box (gigady) in work.

Lime prime-cleanser.
Autosmart Polish-mmm polish
Done and dusted- qd
50cal-glaze.
And my all time fav sealent- nano sealent
Will throw in the applicator pads and a couple more

F9BC78E7-265F-4FB4-B2E7-8B03A63B28B1_zpshgxkci3d.gif
Thank you so much! It's really appreciated, just send me a message and I'll sort out the payment for you!
Cheers again, Sam

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha I know it's not cheap but I'm not going to go all out, just some of the very basics but good quality products :smile: already found out how expensive running a car is and I haven't even passed my test yet hahaha

That's what I said.

I bought an all in one bag of cleaning things one day. Now I have 4 boxes and countless bags under the stairs lol