ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Advice about a seized O/S driveshaft

2005 Clio 182 FF
Here was me thinking Id have it done in a hour and be in the pub for a pint :S.

Anyways the driveshaft splines are seized into the hub, So far methods employed:

Bottom ball joint undone from wishbone, track rod end let go. Full Lock.

Bearing pullers (Broken)
Lump Hammer (Not a budge but a seriously fucked up shaft now).

Next step is Heat the hub which I presume will screw up the wheel bearing (Im not even sure my LPG blow torch will be able to heat it up enough).

Then if that fails:

Undo the hub from the shock and pull the whole show out including the shaft, f**k it in the bin?

Any better Ideas? Seriously pissed off with this.

Clio 182,vvc metro
I presume you were replacing it,or at least are doing so now?

problem with beating it while it's still on the car is that it'll just bounce back through the cv boot if you know what I mean.

As above,soak it in wd40 for the night or vinegar,try again tomorrow or take it all out and it should be handy enough while the hubs off the car and in a vice or something similar. Another option is get another person and a pry bar,put it in behind the hub and I between the hub and cv joint and pry back whilst shocking it with the hammer. I've worked on some old s**t and never had as big a problem as you are lol

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
To late for the punch then, bigger hammer and a dose of man the f#€k up.

Soak it in wd40 and leave it overnight.

2005 Clio 182 FF
I presume you were replacing it,or at least are doing so now?

problem with beating it while it's still on the car is that it'll just bounce back through the cv boot if you know what I mean.

As above,soak it in wd40 for the night or vinegar,try again tomorrow or take it all out and it should be handy enough while the hubs off the car and in a vice or something similar. Another option is get another person and a pry bar,put it in behind the hub and I between the hub and cv joint and pry back whilst shocking it with the hammer. I've worked on some old s**t and never had as big a problem as you are lol

Yea Im in the process of doing it now, Was stripping down a mini yesterday that was sat up for 3 years and it didnt give me half as much s**t as this. The only thing that came close was a mini flywheel that was fretted onto the crank.

Dont suppose you know where to get a 182 hub this weekend ??

Clio 182,vvc metro
Yea Im in the process of doing it now, Was stripping down a mini yesterday that was sat up for 3 years and it didnt give me half as much s**t as this. The only thing that came close was a mini flywheel that was fretted onto the crank.

Dont suppose you know where to get a 182 hub this weekend ??[/]

genuinely nothing as irritating as a job which should take no time turning into a nightmare due to rust etc!so I feel your pain lol.

Where are you from? I'd say you'll be hard pushed to get one this weekend..

2005 Clio 182 FF

Dont suppose you know where to get a 182 hub this weekend ??[/]

genuinely nothing as irritating as a job which should take no time turning into a nightmare due to rust etc!so I feel your pain lol.

Where are you from? I'd say you'll be hard pushed to get one this weekend..

Dublin, Im in work all weekend too so its a pox not having a car. Suppose it could be worse, its could be under the car, at least i can work in a normal position haha

Is it possible for the splines on the gearbox end to be seized too?

Clio 182,vvc metro
Dublin, Im in work all weekend too so its a pox not having a car. Suppose it could be worse, its could be under the car, at least i can work in a normal position haha

Is it possible for the splines on the gearbox end to be seized too?

Ah was going to say if you were a bit closer I have trade accounts with the major parts places but doubt that's much use in Dublin lol.

Theyre re rare enough over here as well so a 2nd hand one wouldn't even be easy found!

2005 Clio 182 FF
Thanks man, since its a weekend theres no rush on ordering parts till monday, Ill just bate it until it either comes off or s***s itself.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Use an air chisel with a pointed bit and just keep at it if you have a compressor,shocking them out I've found works best

cheers

2005 Clio 182 FF
Use an air chisel with a pointed bit and just keep at it if you have a compressor,shocking them out I've found works best

cheers

I can use a 10x in work, ill try that before I lash it in the press, I don't want to break the press lol, 5 ton is some force.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I had a right b**ch of a time when I replaced mine. WD40, heat etc did nothing for me. I finally got them out by removing the hub with the shaft, bracing the hub against the ground and whacking the end of the shaft with a club hammer many, many times, as well as well has hammering a chisel down in between the CV cup and hub bearing to help pry it off. I had to replace the bearings as they took a beating. Use a socket over the thread when hitting it though else the metal will also damage the shaft.

2005 Clio 182 FF
I had a right b**ch of a time when I replaced mine. WD40, heat etc did nothing for me. I finally got them out by removing the hub with the shaft, bracing the hub against the ground and whacking the end of the shaft with a club hammer many, many times, as well as well has hammering a chisel down in between the CV cup and hub bearing to help pry it off. I had to replace the bearings as they took a beating. Use a socket over the thread when hitting it though else the metal will also damage the shaft.

The shaft is already that fucked from smacking it, I dont know how many planks of wood ive split off it, next question, whats the part number for a clio 182 hub!?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
not sure they are all the same tbh between the cup models etc. If the shaft is f**ked, take it down to a garage and get them to press it out using a 10ton press. Cheaper than a new hub! Get them to push a new bearing in at the same time. :)

2005 Clio 182 FF
not sure they are all the same tbh between the cup models etc. If the shaft is f**ked, take it down to a garage and get them to press it out using a 10ton press. Cheaper than a new hub! Get them to push a new bearing in at the same time. :)

Its been in a ten ton press and hasnt even shifted

2005 Clio 182 FF

my reaction too!! I have access to a 50T press too but tbh if it hasn't gone with 10, I think I'm into damaging it with 50T. Im just gunna try drill it down the middle and see if I can hammer it out but Id imagine they are case hardened so Drilling might not get anywhere.

I need the car for the weekend so It looks like im gunna have to fly to the UK to get a hub as theres none at all in Ireland and renault want €600 plus VAT for the assembly.

CursedTitanium 182FF
lol, sorry buddy. I to am desperate, need my car for Sunday's drive out to Barmouth.

I am waiting on a call back from Craig at G2 Autos, said he would have a look if he has one in stock.

I'll pm you his number.