ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a crash course in Flash Photography

ITB BG 182
Basically wondering what are the best or better settings for portrait photography when using a 430 exII on a Canon 7D with a 24-105 F4L lens?

I dont like using auto mode as things tend to come out too bright and its lazy anyway But I am just after a starting point as I will be off to a shoot tomorrow and would like some sort of a head start.

Different scenarios of what could be good for inside, outside, cloudy etc etc please?

Cayman S Edition 1
I use a lastolite softbox when I've done portrait stuff in the past. Gives a nicer light with the speedlight than using it on top of the camera.

2005 Clio 182
Just make sure that you dont use direct flash. Use a diffuser or brolly to soften it up. Check your results and adjust until you get the results that you like. Try Premier ink for mail order if you need any bits.

Cupra
Direct flash used as fill outdoors can give good results, if the flash is your main lght source then bounce it or soften it to avoid harsh shadows.

You can get some decent shots shooting into the sun, as you can get nice rim lighting on the subjects hair, then use the 430 to balance the exposure and fill in the front.

Shooting in Av with the flash power dialed down will normally give decent results for indoor shots.

You'll want to shoot at the long end of the 24-105 for a more flattering shot, and it should help separate the subject and background. You've got a 70-200 too don't you? That and my 80mm are my favourites for portraits. The 24-105 rarely gets a look in.

Last edited:
  Camel gti
Andy has given some good advice. I could talk about it all day, but here is the very short version:

1. Get the flash off camera (get some cheap wireless triggers such as Yongnuo)
2. Bounce flash off the ceiling or walls (when bouncing off the ceiling use the bounce card otherwise you will get shadows, especially under the eyes)
3. Having more than one flash helps....a lot
4. Use manual, the ONLY time I use ETTL is when shooting outside sometimes
5. When using flash your camera settings are more important than the flash settings (e.g. get your ambient exposure you want using the shutter speed)
6. Try to diffuse the light with a umbrella or softbox
7. Experiment
8. Practice

As a starting point indoors use: iso 1600 125/1 f5.6 flash 1/16+0.7

HTH

My advice would have been (as I note you asked the afternoon before your shoot!) to ignore flash altogether and focus on natural light, maybe with a reflector!