ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NAS Drive - Which One ?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Way way way over the top but I just picked up a Mac Pro 1.1 for £190. It's pretty much going to be used as a Plex media server and have four 2tb in a raid setup for backup storage. It's got 2 x 2.66mhz Xeon dual core with 7gb ram so more than enough to deal with any transcoding, you can also run Mavericks on it and they are working on Yosemite.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Way way way over the top but I just picked up a Mac Pro 1.1 for £190. It's pretty much going to be used as a Plex media server and have four 2tb in a raid setup for backup storage. It's got 2 x 2.66mhz Xeon dual core with 7gb ram so more than enough to deal with any transcoding, you can also run Mavericks on it and they are working on Yosemite.
Bloody hell lol. What's total cost of that all in then?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
  Skoda Fabia vRS
Ive ordered 1 x 3TB for now, when im installing it do I need to do anything special as ill be adding another drive at some point, will the NAS be able to setup RAID if ive already got things on the first drive or will it have to wipe them off ?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The 214se doesn't run plex though does it? I've been meaning to get one of these for ages but have never got round to it.

I don't need transcoding either.

Skoda Fabia vRS
I don't believe it will run Plex, personally im not bothered as I don't use it now and don't intend to

Skoda Fabia vRS
Ive changed my mind, id never end up adding another drive to it, so ive gone for the DS114 single bay instead

Skoda Fabia vRS
quickly set the DS114 up last night, not had a lot of time to play with it, but im really happy with it so far, the desktop style interface is really good

ive also managed to play a file from it on my phone via wifi elsewhere using the video app and then it plays through VLC, not something id probably use but wasn't expecting it to be able to do that, I guess the internet at both ends must be decent enough for it to play

im also really liking the download app, I can start things downloading from anywhere really easily and they will be done by the time im home

Reactions: Nik
  Skoda Fabia vRS
any idea how i get my subfolders to show when using the xbox one through dlna ?

currently its only showing the main folders

//edit

no idea what i did but they are now showing, maybe it hadnt indexed the drive yet, no idea lol

Last edited:
  Ciio 200
Have you put your Videos in the Videos folder, Music in the Music folder?
You may need to setup different network drives on your PC. I've got X: Drive - \\Diskstation\Music, Y: Drive \\Diskstation\Vidoes, and Z: Drive, which is my home folder for backing data up.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
It can take a minute or two to pick up new files and folders sometimes. If I add a large movie file then go straight to it on my tv occasionally I need to exit and go back in then it's there.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I have the DS213J, can't recommend it highly enough. Amazon or somewhere else will probably have a deal on drives for it as well, are Overclockers etc doing Black Friday?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Wasn't a great price drop though.

I guess quite a few people thought the same as I managed to get it into my cart twice, once when it came up and then again when I hit join waitlist because I was curious how long the queue was!