ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nankang Sportnex NS-2R Fitted

Cup In bits
30% reduced anyway chi, there will be no meat on the bone at that. Not a bad price IMO. I'm happy to pay that.

Cup In bits
£118 which is around what all the cheapest are doing them for anyway. So..... a bargain. I'm going to order 225's instead of the 235's the r26's run because they will be a wider tyre anyway and a £15 saving per tyre over 235's.

LY Megane R26
Did you go for medium? I have them on the front of my Clio but can't remember what wear rating they're.

Yeah I did, I drive on the road more than I do trackdays, plus I thought for my ring trip in May the medium would be a better option.

£83 each for my 225/40/18 £332 together, can't grumble at that!
As said I went for 225 as semi's are normally a little wider, and they were cheaper.

PH1 172
Got these last week from Camskill, only done a few hundred miles on them, still bedding them in, weather has been pretty more as well lately, hopefully after about 500 miles on the road and warmer/dryer weather there start coming alive!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just had these fitted to the front, wanted to test them before I bought the rears. Seriously grippy on a dry road. A proper laugh with the ecsta sports on the back!

Renault Clio 172 cup
Finally had a chance to try these on track on the front of my Clio. Had them on the back for 3-4 trackdays and they are good, take a little bit of time to warm up , but fine.
On the front.... well they definitely arn't 888's. Did a couple of sessions around Brands last night , Nankangs ( 120 tread wear ) on front and R1R's on the back.

Bearing in mind I have used this set up previously but the other way around (R1R fronts, Nankang backs ) , I dont think they are as good as the R1R's. They grip well enough up to a point but when pushed hard understeer a fair bit ( more than the toyo's anyway ).
Neither of these are a patch on 888's which basically go where you point them . I was pushing quite hard admittedly, but on the exit of Druids, Graham Hill and especially Clearways they were struggling to hold on. On a plus point they were very predictable, not at all squimy and never actually let go completely. It was certainly fun but I think they'll be staying on the back from now on where I am perfectly happy with them.

Cup In bits
Finally had a chance to try these on track on the front of my Clio. Had them on the back for 3-4 trackdays and they are good, take a little bit of time to warm up , but fine.
On the front.... well they definitely arn't 888's. Did a couple of sessions around Brands last night , Nankangs ( 120 tread wear ) on front and R1R's on the back.

Bearing in mind I have used this set up previously but the other way around (R1R fronts, Nankang backs ) , I dont think they are as good as the R1R's. They grip well enough up to a point but when pushed hard understeer a fair bit ( more than the toyo's anyway ).
Neither of these are a patch on 888's which basically go where you point them . I was pushing quite hard admittedly, but on the exit of Druids, Graham Hill and especially Clearways they were struggling to hold on. On a plus point they were very predictable, not at all squimy and never actually let go completely. It was certainly fun but I think they'll be staying on the back from now on where I am perfectly happy with them.

Im not sure how much you have or do push but IME R1R melt to pieces on the front when dry.

Im going to go for the tread wear 180 on my Meg, has anyone got an idea of mileage they are getting from these or even the 120 tread wear.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
On the road with the 180s, I saw just over 8k. They would of lasted slightly more, I reckon 10k, but one got a puncture so I just swapped them both. That was with very hard driving on the roads.

Renault Clio 172 cup
Im not sure how much you have or do push but IME R1R melt to pieces on the front when dry.

Im going to go for the tread wear 180 on my Meg, has anyone got an idea of mileage they are getting from these or even the 120 tread wear.

Yes I agree R1R do cook up easy if pushed on the front ( I mainly use them as wets ) but from a grip point of view , my opinion is they are better than the Nankangs.
As for longevity, I have now had the Nankangs on for 4 full trackdays and 2 Brands evening sessions including driving to and from each circuit ( donington, cadwell,snetterton, bedford and brands ) so a good few miles and they are wearing very very well, probably still only half worn . They are the 120 tread wear one's and all on the back except the one Brands evening.
As for how hard I push, I dont claim to be any driving god, but if you are pushing hard enough for them to understeer quite badly then surely thats hard enough. I know that with 888's on I can push a lot harder.

Cup In bits
On the road with the 180s, I saw just over 8k. They would of lasted slightly more, I reckon 10k, but one got a puncture so I just swapped them both. That was with very hard driving on the roads.

Would you recomend the 120 or 180 from your experiences?

Yes I agree R1R do cook up easy if pushed on the front ( I mainly use them as wets ) but from a grip point of view , my opinion is they are better than the Nankangs.
As for longevity, I have now had the Nankangs on for 4 full trackdays and 2 Brands evening sessions including driving to and from each circuit ( donington, cadwell,snetterton, bedford and brands ) so a good few miles and they are wearing very very well, probably still only half worn . They are the 120 tread wear one's and all on the back except the one Brands evening.
As for how hard I push, I dont claim to be any driving god, but if you are pushing hard enough for them to understeer quite badly then surely thats hard enough. I know that with 888's on I can push a lot harder.

Fair enough mate it was just your comparison to R1R's which are known to melt. The 120's have held up quite well for you, I might go for them for their little extra grip. The options for 18" tyres can get quite expensive so the NS-2r's at 105 pounds cant be ignored. If there anything like the federal RS-R'rs ill be happy.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Would you recomend the 120 or 180 from your experiences?

I ran the 180s on the road, but if I had of ran them again on the clio I was going to run 180s on the front and 120s on the back.

A mate is running 120s all round on his 360 evo 9, but hes barely used them since fitting so he hasn't really commented on them yet.

Ph2 Clio 172
My RSRs are nearing the end of their life and I was simply going to replace with the same, but these look interesting in the "middle ground between R888s and decent road tyres" category. Looking at peoples reviews I don't think they will last as long as my RSRs, which have done 5 track days and 10k motorway miles. My main issue with the RSRs is the shoulders wear a lot faster than the centres due to the Clio leaning on it's nose when cornering. Swapping front to back and running camber has helped, but I'd like something with a squarer profile ideally.

So... should I get some Nankangs?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I thought following you and Bobby J home was bad enough other day but last night when it was hammering down on the M20 it was a whole lot worse. However they got a massive kicking around the lanes when it was dry, damn they're good when it's hot and sticky out, you can smell the rubber when you've stopped.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Whoops - just bought 4 of these!

They are fine on a wet road but standing water seriously is a no go, i'm just having to be a bit more sensible when it's hammering down outside that's all instead of aiming to under and oversteer everywhere because its funny.

You'll be impressed with dry weather performance for such a cheap tyre thats for sure. They aren't as noisy as I was expecting either tbh.

Range Rover Sport
Comparing to the Toyo T1R:

Much much better feedback from the tyre. Seems to have far superior grip levels.

I'm using the 120 compound, guessing they'll have a shorter life span however the pro's certainly out weight the con's.

Car is only used as a clear weather car so no feedback in damp/wet conditions. Reason I compare to the Toyo T1R as pricing ( at time of payment ) was £12 more than the Toyo £10 less than the Federal RSR. A fair comparison would be RSR vs NS2-R.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I found them fine in the wet, maybe I just chilled out a little more when it was wet compared to how I drive when its dry lol.

I know my current Kumho v70a's are awful if you try to make progress across standing water.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Mine seem fine in the wet too, only seems to have trouble in puddles every other tyre I have had struggles in

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Drove home yesterday from Kent ~30 miles on very wet roads and motorways. Absolutely fine in the wet when not being a pellet...

Progressive and predictable when .. er.. pressing on.

Driving very sensibly, you'll have no issues.

In the dry they are hilariously grippy. Need a little bit of heat in them though, went round a big roundabout about 1/2 a mile from work the other day and the back end went another direction hahaha :eek:

Don't get me wrong - there was no budget-rubber snapping or anything.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I agree they are fine in the wet, its just the standing water and puddles. Noticeably worse than the 4 other brands of tyre i've had lately.

FF Racing Blue 182
Is the ns2r ok for just road use, i can get them for £63 a corner. What compound/number should i be going for ?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Is the ns2r ok for just road use, i can get them for £63 a corner. What compound/number should i be going for ?

I bought the harder compound for road use and will get a 2nd set of wheel with the track compound for track days/ hill climbs :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
What's the difference in lifespan and performance between the soft and medium compounds?

they're coming up £40 cheaper than potenza re050as after a quick search

Well the track has a wear rating of 180 and the street spec tyre (hard compound) is a wear rating of 120 so I think the wear for normal road use would be considerably different looking at what tyres fit into each rating group

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Well the track has a wear rating of 180 and the street spec tyre (hard compound) is a wear rating of 120 so I think the wear for normal road use would be considerably different looking at what tyres fit into each rating group

Wrong way round.. Lower number is softer compound.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
So how many miles do you expect from each compound for a car doing mainly dual carriageway driving with the occasional B road blast?

Soft to give back about 6k and harder to give back about 8-10k with good hard use 12+ if you are easy on tyres...... Jenson button esc lol

Renault Clio 172 P1
Do NOT waste your time on these tyres. A friend and I went to the 'ring last month, both of us purchased clio 172 phase 1s and these tyres in the 120 compound. Quickest lap was a 9:08. Had we had Toyo 888 tyres, we would have been in the late 8min laps.

The tyres lack bite, so you end up compromising corner entry speed and exit. Under steer!
They also get hot and fold over, we had to run 40 psi up front in the end so that once hot, they didn't run on the sidewalls.

Get Fed RSR or better still Toyo 888.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I don't think they are made for out and out lap times at the price they are set at, for me they are a good middle that last and give good grip on track for track days with cooling time between sessions