ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Named & shamed

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Black latest shape Clio driving around north east (today in South Shields) with not just silver 16v badges on the rub strips but 2.0 16v badges. What a joker. Looked nothing better than a 1.2/1.4

**03 FN*

Why do people do this? It just makes people think theyve wasted a 172. I hate it when like the other day I saw a VTR with VTS door badges and 16v rear quarter badges. New it wasnt a VTS because of the wheels and lack of rear headrests.

But the Clio, sorry but 1.2s look nothing like a 172 to those in the know, even the black colour isnt right.

If you have a 1.2, be proud of it, still a smart litle car. We all start somewhere.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Pretending your car is something it isnt is indeed for chumps imo. Only time I would approve is doing a Q car job like CB1As clio, proper street sleeper.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

To be honest, its been more fun driving my VTS since I had the 16v badges knicked, I get far more cars trying it on, to much amusement when they work out its a VTS.

Badging up a car falsely is just an inferiority complex - which is why I cant be bothered to put the 16v badges back on, I dont care.

Indeed if it has been badged up because its had an engine transplant, Id still sooner leave it with normal badges.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 28 May 2004 at 6:33pm]

if it was a early vts then it would of had vtr alloys and no rear head rests, 97 models didnt have them

Alfa Mito 155TB

I have seen a 1.2 or 1.4 Black Clio with 172 badges and sunroof (LOL) but with chromed front grill mincing around south shields...But also seen a metallic green type clio with full 172 body kit with sunroof...again another wannabee...

It is wrong to pass off a car as something it isnt, but nothing wrong with having a car as a discrete Q car.

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 28 May 2004

To be honest, its been more fun driving my VTS since I had the 16v badges knicked, I get far more cars trying it on, to much amusement when they work out its a VTS.

Badging up a car falsely is just an inferiority complex - which is why I cant be bothered to put the 16v badges back on, I dont care.

Indeed if it has been badged up because its had an engine transplant, Id still sooner leave it with normal badges.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 28 May 2004 at 6:33pm]
My VTS looks exactly like a VTR, purely because its a very early one, same wheels etc as you probably know and yep it does suprise quite a few peeps;) (gonna be for sale soon if anyones interested) anyway just to let you know i havent purposefully made it look like a VTR lol

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 28 May 2004

if it was a early vts then it would of had vtr alloys and no rear head rests, 97 models didnt have them
sorry just saw richie made my point for me! :oops:

I colour coded my Clio 1.2 and thought the silver 16v bits would look nicer than the grey plastic ones. My choice, its obvious its not a 172 so I dont see the problem.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 29 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 28 May 2004

sorry just saw richie made my point for me! :oops:
Jons 97 VTS has rear head rests. My 00 VTR had them too (factory fitted op).

Pretty lame dressing up your car to be something it aint but then again he will probably just be accounting for something else thats lacking. One thing I am pissed at is the Dynamique is part of the Sports collection yet we dont get a funky "Sport" badge.

Remapped derv Golf

How many more times! Its not a "Renault Sport" its just a "Renault"

Mike172sport sells the badges on his ebay site though

The Cup,172 and 182 are made by Renault Sport

Alfa Mito 155TB

There is no problem putting 16V badges on a Clio...it is the lame wannabees who put 2.0l badges on 1.2, 1.4 and when they get beat by a 1.6 saxo...the saxo driver then tells people he thrashed a 172/182

Ah I get the whole Renault/Renault Sport thing now...Im happy with my car although I really want a 182, not really do-able for a first car. Cant wait till my 3yrs are up so I can trade this in and get me a sexy Yellow 182.