ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nakang NS2R or Michelin pilot sport 3?

LY 182
Going to the ring on the 19th next month and want to spend decent money on 4 capable tyres. I'm stuck between the above.

The ns2r's come with 7mm instead of 8.

I don't do a lot of miles, the occasional motorway journey, just wanted your opinions on what tyre you would go for and why.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I"d go for the PS3's. I've used both and think that the PS3's have the the distinct advantage in less than ideal conditions. Given the time of year and the fact that the 'Ring has it's own weather system (I've seen, like many others, part of the track in snow, part in rain and others in glorious sunshine!) I'd opt for the Michelins. I swapped back to the PS3's for this reason (i.e. the wet weather in Wales). :eek:

LY 182
I"d go for the PS3's. I've used both and think that the PS3's have the the distinct advantage in less than ideal conditions. Given the time of year and the fact that the 'Ring has it's own weather system (I've seen, like many others, part of the track in snow, part in rain and others in glorious sunshine!) I'd opt for the Michelins. I swapped back to the PS3's for this reason (i.e. the wet weather in Wales). :eek:

Yeah I understand what you mean mate, exactly what I thought tbh! I just wanted to make sure I've got some really good tyres for the track and for my every day driving. Are the ns2r's not that good in the wet then ?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I've had both. Both are fantastic in different ways. One is designed as a road going Track tyre and one as a all round high performance tyre.

I ran them on my 50 mile daily and never came across any issues with the ns2rs even in standing water.

The fronts lasted about 8-9k, they would of lasted a little longer, possibly 10k but I got a puncture on one.

Pilot sport 3s were decent too but I found I wore them out quickly with my driving style. I much preferred Pzero Nero over them.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
NS2R forget the tyre snobs they know nothing.

As mentioned above one is a road legal track tyre the other is a road tyre.

For the money nothing comes close.

I remember three or four years mentioning the RSRs got shot down, look how good they are.

I run the NS2R at present & not had any issues.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
To be fair, which ever you choose is going to provide enough grip for a trip to the ring.

LY 182
To be fair, which ever you choose is going to provide enough grip for a trip to the ring.

Yeah I agree mate. I'm just thinking of after the ring as it's my daily and won't put the car round the track again for a long time. So need a good all rounder. I think the ps3's tick all the boxes tbh

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Having just had NS2Rs fitted to my poxy little MX5 I can say, without doubt, that they are fantastic. And fantastically cheap.

Takes a bit of time to get decent heat into them but shouldn't be a problem on track and with a higher powered car.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
PS3's for me (that's what i've just fitted to the T5)

They cope with the bags of torque I throw at them no problem, Never letting go unless you intentionally make it.

Sprint 172
Having just had NS2Rs fitted to my poxy little MX5 I can say, without doubt, that they are fantastic. And fantastically cheap.

Takes a bit of time to get decent heat into them but shouldn't be a problem on track and with a higher powered car.

Same for me. I've been really impressed with them (120 soft compound). Sadly I don't have a chance to warm them up properly when hill climbing and will need to switch to another brand super soft for next year. But the NS-2Rs will be staying as they are a great all rounder to drive on the roads with - even coping with standing water. When warm = fantastic!

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Have you thought about Maxxis Victas, Uniroyal Rainsports, Dunlop Sport Blue something or other?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
PS2's. Ps3's seem better in the wet, but ps2's feel more responsive in the dry.
Or if you're not a tyre snob, try the hankook v12 or s1 (evo 2 versions). Always found the hankook held up better than the equivalent Michelin on track.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Goodyear Asymmetric 2's are a better all round tyre than the Michelin PS3's imo having used both. Great tyre in all conditions and on track plus they're cheaper and last a lot longer.

I'd get whatever you choose fitted now so they're worn in for the Ring.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
PS3's on 182 lasted 3 track days (2 Airfield days) and 15,000 miles of commuting. If you don't drive on the throttle from turn in to exit with a load of lock on they last fine. They won't last long if you carve them away trying to chase people on 888's etc. Can't fault them in the wet. Even in inches of water on a drenched airfield they remained very easy to work with. Huge confidence after the first lap. Even used the suggested dry braking boards in many places.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
For what you have said PS3's would be best especially with winter coming up, I have just fitted them on my Megane 250 and cant fault them as with all Michelin performance tyres they are good with all conditions.
If you were doing more trackdays the NS2R would probably be better.

LY 182
For what you have said PS3's would be best especially with winter coming up, I have just fitted them on my Megane 250 and cant fault them as with all Michelin performance tyres they are good with all conditions.
If you were doing more trackdays the NS2R would probably be better.

Yeah I think the ps3's are an obvious choice tbh, listening to you guys and weighing up my driving. I'm not even going to push my car hard, I have too much respect it's more for experience. The nakangs do look awesome tho!

Clio 182 FF
I run PS3's on the road and find them great in all weathers, for a road tyre i wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

However, as a track tyre i feel they fall apart. I went to the ring in easter and it was a rather hot few days and i was slipping and sliding around. Luckily i took a spare set of AD08 tyres with a couple of mm left in them and the difference was night and day. So much more confidence in the corners and faster lap times.

LY 182
I run PS3's on the road and find them great in all weathers, for a road tyre i wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

However, as a track tyre i feel they fall apart. I went to the ring in easter and it was a rather hot few days and i was slipping and sliding around. Luckily i took a spare set of AD08 tyres with a couple of mm left in them and the difference was night and day. So much more confidence in the corners and faster lap times.

Now I get that reply, it's puts me off them! God help me

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'd go for the nankangs. I love trying a decent product and across the board these are getting superb reviews.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The PS3's can be destroyed on track if you want to but they provide more than adequate grip wet or dry. The nankangs maybe worth a shot but in a country that rains as often as it does I would go with something that grips better in the wet for the road. To destroy the PS3s on the road you would have to do speeds that would you get you nicked over and over again. If you know how to get the rear steering in these you'll find the rear wears as much on the edge as the front and takes some off the strain on the front edges. My Conti's showed this to be the case at Castle Combe. if you were competing I'd say no to the PS3's

I just did a wet track day on road tyres. In the wet virtually everything on track day or dry focused tyres was in the way. 2 accidents on those tyres that day as well.

Last edited: