ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mysterious suspension noise

Clio 172 ph2
Video : Some info:
-Very loud and harsh vibrations all across the car. Sound a bit similar to heavy understeer.
-Only happens when the steering wheel is turned at least 3/4 of a turn - either left or right.
-Only happens when moving, even at a crawling speed.
-Only happens after a cold start, stops after 1-2 minutes. When driving in the rain though, it doesn't stop even after driving. *Seems related to moisture\heat.
-Started after changing the engine (subframe went off), and raising the front coilovers, about 2 months ago. Lowered the coilovers again, but no change.
-The car is on a few months old BC Racing coilovers and genuine top mounts. Both front and rear springs were re-seated.
-No play in any of the wheels, brakes don't seem to be binding, front caliper slide ok on the pins.
-Front tires are almost out of tread, will change them if it could be the cause.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Tyres won't be helping! Have you had the vehicles tracking/alignment checked?

Tyres won't be helping! Have you had the vehicles tracking/alignment checked?
Alignment was ok before the engine swap and changing the coilovers height,
However I set the height back to where it was before, the car does not pull to the sides, the steering is centered, The car feels the same as it used to, so I believe it's ok. Also it happens only when the car is cold , so it's unlikely to be bad alignment causing a tire to slide.
Anyway there's only 1 place I trust for alignment in my country, which is very far from me, very expensive, and require a day off job, so I will only go after I fix this, as messing with most suspension parts will require another alignment.
Again I'm sure it's not an alignment issue, for the reasons I mentioned.

dan's cast offs.
hard to tell from the video but i'd say same as mick and get alignment checked. sounds like it could be scrubbing? you don't need to adjust things much to throw tracking out, i took camber bolts off the wife's car the other month and forgot to get tracking done, was bloody miles out and awful to drive.

what's it like at speed in a straight line?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
But that's not scientific... Scrubbing is scrubbing. The alignment check could highlight an issue with the geometry or it could be something really silly like a worn balljoint.

The problem is (as above by Bloke) that without seeing the car, all we can really do is tell you to check the basics first and go from there.

RB Clio 182
Sounds like a tyre is rubbing on the arch liner to me, hows your power steering fluid, im not sure if it would make this noise mind.

Ps fluid is ok, also the noise doesn't come from the act of steering (no noise when steeeing stationary), but rather when moving with the wheels turned, even if I hold the steering in a fixed position.

No polybushes, all suspension parts are stock except ths coilovers.
No rubbing marks on tire/wheel, bumper bracket, arch liner, or the shock.

Also on cold start, the noise is really bad, it sounds and feels like driving on rocks, and like something is about to break, a lot worse than the video.

Clio 172
It sounds like very bad scrubbing due to alignment. It could stop doing it once the tyres are warm and the rubber softens up, and it could stop doing it in the wet as the water makes it more slippery.

Clio 172
Swapped tires front and rear, so far so good :smile:
Would be funny if this was actually the problem, tried to figure this out for 2 months already .
Most likely alignment is out then, I would get it re-aligned to stop it scrubbing the tyres bald in a few thousand miles.