ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My steering is all over the place :s

2004 iceberg 172
As above I have a knock, seems to be coming from both sides at the front, also my steering feels like its all over the place, if I drive in a straight line, I hit a slight bump in the road and the car wants to pull left/right all the time, its bot a gentle pull either it really wants to pull, it's quite a handful at speed, not sure if these problems are related but I haven't got a clue. What should I check?
Ive just replaced both front ball joints, both track rod ends and the passenger track rod and it's all been tracked
need a bit of help

2004 iceberg 172
I've checked the pressures, there all fine, I've checked the springs to see of they had snapped but there fine, the car was fine when I bought it but over the last couple of weeks it's got bad, it needs sorting asap
the knocking seems to be when I set off/pull away, quite a big knock aswell

Sounds like a tracking issue, could be it's just needs re-aligning or you've got worn tie rods or track rod ends. I've got a worn tie rod on mine currently and I get that, pulling the wheel from side to side over bumps, it also follows contours in the road.

RS6 C7
The knocking might be your gearbox / engine mounts.

Have a search on here for the signs but it sounds like what i had with my 172 cup.

2004 iceberg 172
never really thought of that, how do you check them? there not goin to move very easily by hand

RS172 Flamer
Have you checked the steering rack? I just recently changed the track rod ends on my car and when I took it in for tracking the mechanics noticed that the steering rack was loose. He tightened up the bolts and it doesn't knock anymore

2004 iceberg 172
Will have to check that as its defo a possibility, gearbox was changed a couple of week back so the rack was unbolted, it's only really started since then. I've sent it off too the bodyshop to get the quarter painted so can't check anything till I get it back now, hopefully get it back Wednesday/thursday so will check everything mentioned above, hopefully it's something simple, I'll keep you updated

2004 iceberg 172
Just to update I couldn't find anything so just let the garage have a look, found out I fitted the wrong ball joints, ooooops!! Supposedly there's 2 types so they fitted the correct ones and tracked it all back up and now it's sorted. Thanks for your input guys

Last edited:
  Skoda fabia Vrs
What was your exact issues mate? Can you fit a wrong balljoint to a clio 182? Not sure if I have been supplied a wrong part. Steering is mega stiff to the right. Only thing I've changed is a strut top bearing, track rod ends ball joint and spring all on the drivers side and alignment done but Jesus the car will not steer right!! Im thinking ball joint is wrong? Everything is solid at the garage the mechanic said.