ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My S3

Ive wanted one of these for a while, ever since having my first A3 1.8T around 2 years ago, With winter here and snow inevitable it made perfect sense to get something 4wd, so what better excuse did i need ?

Its a pre face lift with the APY engine, 210bhp, just a couple pics atm, and unfortunately no interior pic (i will get one tomorrow)
its a great car with a brilliant interior, however atm it doesnt drive very nice, a previous owner has fitted coilovers and not had it set up correctly or the tracking done and it wonders all over the place, i also believe the bottom arm bushed have had it (very common on Audis and VW's)

Tomorrow i will have a look at the suspension as i have a sneaky suspicion its on cheap ebay crap, If it is i will buy some new stuff, along with new bushes if i need them
Mrs also wants me to get the face lift rear lights but i quite like the ones on it tbh!

s3front_zps925b63ef.jpg

S3rear_zps9951e261.jpg

Wont i have trouble changing to face lift fronts because of xenons? the S3 fronts cost a fortune ?

Facelift lights and badges

I had a ebony black pearl one with full black leather but it lost its cam belt and bent 16 of the valves.. It cost me a fortune to put right then someone keyed the door and reversed into it within the next week so off it went!

Shame as I was planning on seeing what it would be like tuned as in standard form it bored me to be honest with the annoying kicking in haldex system and to get a decent launch on standard power felt like I was going to eat the clutch!

PH2 Flamer
Mine cost me a fortune in breakdowns. 3 bottom end failures. Haldex clutches. Gearbox.

Wasn't a cheap 3 years.

There is a guide on the ASN forum on headlight upgrades.

The newer s3 8P gear knob is a nice touch for the interior.

Many.
Brother has a Facelift one with some minor mods (filter, exhaust, remap), love driving it.

Quattro system isn't the best, but gives the grip when required, goes bloody well to all while being comfy and able to cruise happily.

Get those wheels changed though, RS6 Rep's suit these perfectly (what my brother has)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Matt Black used to run a TT powered clio,he was also a wealth of knowledge when it came to spair parts for cars.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Love mine, loads of grip. While you're looking at the suspension check the rear hubs and tie bars. If it hasn't had the revised bushes fitted in the hub (replaces a rose joint) these can seize and snap the tie bars, mine are still free moving at the moment but will be looking to replace them in the spring. Have a look at an S2000 air filter (proven gains,£20 and sounds good) a badger 5 TIP, welly cooler and a remap.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nice car these, I had a 1.8t from work years ago I'm peppermint green iirc, went well tbf

Still love mine, but after four years it's definitely time for some more power and a softop.

qabezuza.jpg

Currently sits at a proven (air mass logged) 278 horses.

Clio 182
Aren't these meant to be pants in the snow due to the haldex 4wd system?
i had a cupra r which is pretty close to the audi and it really did bore me.
The clio is raw and more fun.

Confused as to why someone would think a vehicle with even the oldest incarnation of Quattro would be bad in the snow, over a two wheel drive. But no, not from my experience. Served me very well in the Lakes and North when conditions demand it.

And again, the "boring" aspect is down to personal preference. If you mean it under steers, yes it does. That can be rectified with a £90 rARB if 60 round "dem twisties" is a requirement. If you mean you don't feel as close to the road... well... less sound deadening and build quality might be fine on track, but real world, the rattles of the clio after 9k miles was significantly more than the S3 after 90k which is pretty boring, day to day.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I love your orange S3 JD, but I love your matching washing up gloves more. :D

Not getting on with mine, scanned with vagcom and came up with maf sensor and temp sensor, so both changed for genuine items and now no engine faults, however the 4wd isnt working, today i got under it to check the rear haldex plug as this can get corroded but its fine, the earth strap is fine to, so its probably the controller or pump both are expensive.

Along with that it doesnt drive very nice, the suspension needs a proper set up, its on FK coilovers and the tracking is out, it drags around on bumps/pot holes, i dont think im going to keep this car long, going to change the haldex controller and or pump then sell it i think.

Its a lovely car and the interior is very very nice but i prefer driving my cup.

TTRS & V50
It's a heavy car on cheap coil overs that are not set-up. I think that's your problem. I would have my car too if it droves like a bag of s**t.

Raise, track rod ends, bushes and FRSU.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not getting on with mine, scanned with vagcom and came up with maf sensor and temp sensor, so both changed for genuine items and now no engine faults, however the 4wd isnt working, today i got under it to check the rear haldex plug as this can get corroded but its fine, the earth strap is fine to, so its probably the controller or pump both are expensive.

Along with that it doesnt drive very nice, the suspension needs a proper set up, its on FK coilovers and the tracking is out, it drags around on bumps/pot holes, i dont think im going to keep this car long, going to change the haldex controller and or pump then sell it i think.

Its a lovely car and the interior is very very nice but i prefer driving my cup.

How didnt you notice Haldex not working? Or has it just broken? Cheap to sort with second hand parts.

Sounds like a bit of a lemon tbh.

Sorry Midge, but have to agree - thing sounds like a lemon. But surprised you bought it without doing all the above checks first?!

A45 AMG 406BHP
I love my S3! Its only got 48k on it though, so literally like new! FK coil overs are known to be pretty horrendous for comfort purposes.

Mines around 270bhp, and feels great. PS snow time is the best time!

Get yourself a haldex blue controller and then tell me its boring…..

PH2 Flamer
Try a quick haldex oil and filter service midge, might sort it out.

Tricky to do without the proper filter tool though.

If it feels like the back end is skipping whilst cornering slowly, then chances are the clutch packs are shafted. Can't even remember how many haldex issues I had, it had always been serviced on time too.

Stealth 438'd 182
I had one of these..Great interior, very comfy, quick, great in the snow and looked the part..!! Lovely noise too!

ybuzu8e7.jpg

However...

y9y4ubes.jpg

Cost me an absolute fortune.

I also had the MAF sensor go.. And coolant temp sensor.. These are common issues

An engine, a gear box/transfer box.. s**t load of electrical issues and again all mostly common faults ..

Oil L piece killed the first engine and bottom end - common 20v problem worst designed pick up pipe I've ever seen..!!

2x Window mechs, hazard switch, brake sensor.. The lines of death in the clock display.. common issues..

And people give French cars stick!

In the end it was practically a new car with a built engine.. JE pistons, scat rods, arp kit, aftermarket HG, hybrid turbo flowed head etc was running 280-290.. But by that time it had bled me dry and I lost the love for it..

Bought the 182 after and never looked back ..!

To the OP if it starts giving you grief.. Get rid haha till then enjoy it they are awesome cars.. !

As for handling.. Nowhere near the nimble clio but still fun with the bags of power you have with a basic map.. I would go with eibach sport line .. 35mm drop still comfy and handle better than crap coils :)

Stealth 438'd 182
Oh and with a map they bloody shift..! Great feeling taking off with haldex propulsion! ;) John Ashley exhausts also does an off the shelf decat pipe too. ;)