ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My S1 106 Rallye Restoration.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Bought this over 2 years ago as a tatty standard example of a Series 1 106 Rallye, i'd looked for 1 for a while and have previously had a standard white S1 106 Rallye as well as Red, white and black 306 Rallyes and a Gti-6 among others. Being a black S1 and non sunroof means its pretty rare nowadays. Out of all the cars i've owned, bought and built this one means the most to me, its so mich funa dn just unlike anything built now, i'll never sell it!

IMG_0214-vi.jpg

That was how it looked when i bought it, paint had crazed all over, no sticker kit, red petrol cap, tatty wheels etc. Mechanically though it was pretty good and it drove back 200 miles when i bought it.
The plan was to make a car that looked standard but was updated underneath, so bigger brakes under steel wheels, uprated suspension slightly lower, new engine with more power etc. Also everything else was to be renewed, refreshed or replaced in a full overhaul.
Due to the paint there was no option but to fully respray it, so it was stipped down ready for paint, the engine bay wasn't too bad but while the motor was out i decided to paint it myself, any surface rust was treated and a small patch was needed on the inner wing but compared to some 106's/saxo's ive seen, mine is solid.

P240111_19_38-vi.jpg

Pics as it was being stripped.

P170411_18_46_01-vi.jpg

CIMG1192-vi.jpg

P170411_18_46-vi.jpg

While it was getting painted i could get on with building the engine up. Engine is a JP4 1.6 16v as found in a C2 VTR and similar, however it has J4 106 GTI sump, cams and valve gear fitted along with 106 GTI inlet manifold and management + stainless exhaust manifold, Peugeotsport Grp. N exhaust and Cup Car replica filter setup. Engine was a low mileage unit but done all the nessecary bits like head gasket + cambelt etc + new radiator and fan and all new hoses and cables. Engine should be approx 140bhp which is plenty in 800kg's especially with the standard 1.3 Rallye gearbox which is very short geared, only does 120mph on the limiter in 5th gear. Gear box was fully rebuilt and fitted with a new clutch and lightened flywheel. I thing it looks pretty factory in the bay.

34475964048-vi.jpg

The rest of the running gear got the same treatment, front brakes are upgraded to 206 GTI callipers with 266mm discs (biggest that would fit under the 14" steels) braided hoses all round and DS2500 pads. Suspension is Bilstein B8 fixed rate dampers all round with Faulkener front 155lb springs and S2 Rallye rear 24mm anti roll bar, lowered approx 30mm all round. Brand new wish bones, ball joints, drop links and top mounts fitted. Rear beam has also been rebuilt by IM axles and they've done a brilliant job, they fitted my Poly bushes to the beam and i also fitted poly bushes to the front arb. A quaife quick steering rack is also fitted in a rebuilt race with new arms and tre's.

31475852384-vi.jpg

CIMG1189-vi.jpg

CIMG1211-vi.jpg

All these bits were refitted to the car, not before the underside and arches were treated, painted and undersealed. All components not replaced were painted up and refurbed like the front struts etc.

CIMG1199-vi.jpg

CIMG1197-vi.jpg

Brand new S2 Rallye wheels were fitted as they're half and inch wider at 6" than the standard S1 wheels and then fitted with 185/55/14's. The original centre caps were refurbed and i even cleaned up and painted the wheel bolts.

P180411_18_38-vi.jpg

31490855920-vi.jpg

So thats it pretty much done, heres a pic when it was first finished and i put it back on the road, took me nearly a year to do it all. I've got some recent pics that i'll upload in some nicer locations shortly.
Russ

IMG_0255-vi.jpg

Leon Cupra 300
Awesome

One of my all time favourite cars. I always said I'd have one but when it came to actually buying one they were all a lot older so bought a 172 Cup instead, pretty close in character.

CS172
Great car and work! I'm also thinking about buying one black 106 rallye and do with it pretty similar thing. So, more pictures please :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the comments guys. I'm not much of a lens-man but i do have access to a couple of DSLR's so should really get my finger out and get some decent pics. See below for some when i've been out and about in it.

IMG_0254-vi.jpg

First pic is from last time i was out with the local cliosport boys on a run out, managed about 15miles before a stone went through the rad and ended my day. This is me just getting the car off my trailer while everyone else was out having fun!

44267139136-vi.jpg

Another couple from another cliosport run out upto Ayr and surrounding roads, not the best weather though. Amazing how small it looks comapred to the 197!

IMG_2754-vi.jpg

IMG_2755-vi.jpg

Last 2 decent ones i have are from Oban, went there for the weekend for my birthday in August and thought it'd be rude not to take the Rallye, would have been quicker, quieter and more relaxing to take one of the BMW's but its not the same is it, especially when the roads are as good as they are up towards oban from Glasgow!
Russ

IMG_6326-vi.jpg

IMG_6325-vi.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
That's seriously awesome. How much did the restoration cost?

Er, probably x10 times what i paid for the car originally and thats not me exagerating, far more than i'd ever get back selling it etc but seen as i'll never sell it doesn't matter. I have receipts for circa £6k without labour as all the work apart from the paint was done by me.

I take it with the 1.3 box it's pretty easy to keep the engine on the boil.

Very easy mate, it makes the car what it is imo, so short geared and its quite torquey for a 1600 means it pulls from low down the revs till the limiter very quickly, from experimentation it easily has the legs on a standard ep3 civic upto at least 100mph in a straight line.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
They are awsome with the 16v sound great with a pugsport got a red one put need to sell it :(

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
:D That reminds me of the one that a mate had back in the day. Getting better with age if you ask me. That's a credit to you.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks again for the comments guys, its very rare I actually finish a project so its good to know its appreciated. Thanks for the pic piers you'll have to take some more when it gets out this year. Currently sitting tucked up in the garage on the battery charger until spring.
Russ

Megane r26
Awesome car, would love one of these. Only ever driven one (bit of a ruff example tbh) but it was such a fun car an a right hoot.

Always loved the Saxo/106 chassis, an the tu engine is such a great power plant in my opinion.