ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Rotary Doesnt Seem To Be Working Well.

Clive the Clio no. 2
Hi Guys,

I bought the blue silverline and the heads for it the other day, got it half price from a local hardware shop closing down FTW!

I tried it out this morning on my dads old lada jeep and i dont think it is working,

i am using the blue head and menzerna intensive polish,

my blue pad has turned red with the bonnet paint, but there is still lots of scratches noticable, then i used the pink head with menzerna final finish and the bonnet looks s**t! there are pad marks where it has been against the bonnet,

maybe i am doing it wrong, maybe somebody can give me a quick guide to it, (What speeds to use) e.t.c.

Also another thing, my pad doesnt spin around properly, it looks like it is screwed on diagnol (sp) so all the pad isnt touching the bonnet at the same time, some of the pad is lifting while the other part is on the bonnet, (if you understand what i mean)

Can Somebody give me some help please?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You have gone too far!

Your pretty much burning/sanding the paint off :(

*Look in the detailing section, there is a guide in there

You have gone too far!

yea, when polishing using a machine as far as i kno u need a layer of water on so that it keeps the machine from damaging the paint

Clive the Clio no. 2
You have gone too far!

Dont suppose you could link me to the guide please?

Good thing i did it on my dads old lada! lol.

But it still wont take the scratches out!

Clive the Clio no. 2
Where is the guide on here for the Rotary?

Thats what im after aswell!

I got one from detailing world and its so complicated.

I wish somebody on here which is an experienced rotaryist, could maybe write one for the novice rotary polishers? Wink Wink ;)

16v Dynamique
It is most probably single stage paint (no clear coat), that is why the pads are turning the colour of the car.

First of all I would bin the pads and backing plate that came with the machine. You will struggle to finish a polish down to LSP ready as they are too hard. I'd recommend the Megs ones or Lake Country ones.

Then spritz the pad with some QD to prime it, and then apply some polish to the pad. About 2 5p size blobs to start with. Then spread the polish on the lowest speed and I normally work it for around two passes. Then step the speed up to about 1000/1200 rpm for another few passes, and then 1800 for 3 or 4 passes. Then work your way back down again. By this time the polish residue should have turned clear.. You can then stop polishing and buff.

Before starting the next set always spur you pad to stop polish building up on it, and then use pea sized blobs of polish.

A very rough guide there, but it gives you a basic idea. Just keep practising and experimenting on what works for you.

VX220 Turbo
another way is to apply the compound thinly on the car by hand then use the machine to break it down (make sure you squirt the pad lightly with water

16v Dynamique
another way is to apply the compound thinly on the car by hand then use the machine to break it down (make sure you squirt the pad lightly with water

The Menzerna polishes he's using are very well lubricated and don't need water, unlike the compounds bodyshops tend to use. Plus its easier to spread by machine.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Ah, paintbrush fine i suppose. Mine don't seem to get much use before they hit the basin for a wash anyway. I.E. i'm really slow.