ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Racing Season 2012.

My championship gets underway this weekend at Silverstone (on the Triangle National circuit). Had an interesting winter - decided to build a new engine to the maximum allowance in the rules in the hope of finding a few extra mph on the straights and better driveability (bearing in mind my only previous mechanical experience was bleeding brakes). Had planned for two test days and a rolling road session. In true Alex-style, progress was slow and the new engine was run-in on the rollers and had a couple of 'power-runs' to tune the carb up. Made a 3bhp increase on the old engine, to a nice round 80 at the wheels. 450bhp at the flywheel, for those who like made up figures. It's got much better torque and the power-band is excellent. Still pulling hard at 6000, the old one was all done by 5500.

One run on the rollers and no testing, meaning that my qualifying session at Silverstone on Saturday will be the first time both the car and myself have turned a wheel since October! I'm not expecting a great weekend, just want to get the car home in one piece and two good scoring finishes. Anyone in the area should pop down to watch some grassroots circuit racing with virtually full grids this weekend. Racing from lunchtime Saturday and all-day Sunday from Classic Stock Hatch (the best championship in the country), Stock Hatch A (Saxos), Saxmax (for 14-17yo), Formula Vee (entry level single-seaters) and many others.

A brief picture of the car for this year, with some added blue detailing. I'll keep this thread updated as the season goes on. Some highlights of last year's action (my first year of driving on tracks): www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cedms8w-jFQ

465605_799671761444_222304875_8267724_511955871_o.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Love it. Happy Birthday too, you big mong.

See you at Oulton, possibly Cadwell if you're doing it.

Turbos.
Saw your video on Facebook, well held!

I was testing there on Friday, the Pimlico Plumbers sponsored car was out at the same time. Shame we didn't get an opportunity to meet.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
That was a bit sideways:) well held! From that angle I feared it was coming back to bite you!

Race 1
Slow start, yellow flags put the willies up me as I couldn't initially see where the staller was, struggled early on with tyre pressures a bit too low, lot of understeer at brooklands, big slide across the track and down to 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. Forced to defend early on whilst trying to get past cars in front. Lost the rear in a big way into copse on lap 3 and shuffled even more. Started to charge back up the field, still struggling with front end grip. Trying to make use of the xr2s brakes into Becketts hairpin, my favourite overtaking spot, but being well fended off by the Swift. Got past up the inside of Luffield and set off after Dan in the Pimlico Plumbers XR2 again. Had a great side-to-side battle, eventually got past round the outside into Copse (my new favourite overtaking spot). Next up, two fuel-injection cars. Ran a little bit wide out of Copse to set up a pass into Becketts and chase down the 205 for what could be 8[SUP]th[/SUP] place! Yellow flags at Brooklands stopped the XR2i’s charge back at me. Passed the 205 into Becketts and took the chequered flag in 8[SUP]th[/SUP]!

Race 2

Starting 12[SUP]th[/SUP] for this one, a reasonable getaway, but a lot of clutch drag going up the gears. Had to duck out of a reasonably ambitious move on lap one which cost me time down the Wellington straight. Made another ambitious move on lap two into Copse, which only stuck because the other guy dived out the way. The pics show how close we came to contact at an apex speed of around 85mph. Had a couple of lonely laps, catching up to the next targets, XR2i & 205 from the end of race one. Sold a bit of a dummy to XR2i and snuck through at Becketts and set off after 205, who was having some timing problems and became a sitting duck into Becketts the next time round. Caught myself up nicely to the “chase for sixth place” battle, but only succeeded in getting stuck behind Ted in the world’s widest Nova. I tried every trick in the book bar a “Matt Neal nudge” but his defence was more than up to my advances. We had great, fair, nose-to-tail racing for the last six laps of the race and came home 10[SUP]th[/SUP] and 11[SUP]th[/SUP] just 0.3s apart at the line.

Next rounds: Brands Hatch, April 28/29.

538907_801605111994_222304875_8281267_700491881_n.  jpg

541654_801605241734_222304875_8281270_956111388_n.  jpg

564017_801605291634_222304875_8281271_513822805_n.  jpg

(token tripod shot)

Last edited by a moderator:
We're such an awesome championship, offering the closest racing outside of a one-make series, that we've even got fans making race videos about us.

Last edited by a moderator: