ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Polo Turbo

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Thought I'd introduce you guys to my toy car- I do enjoy the Clio on the road, great bang for the buck, but I'll always be a VW lad at heart.

My car started as a 1991 Polo GT, seen here:

gti7.jpg

Didn't start life like that, was probably after 2 years or so, used to run a 90bhp 3f engine and 80bhp of nitrous ;D

Then, once that got boring a new challenge was set (throttle bodies on a budget- was still 18/19 then!)

Hence:

DSC00111.jpg

PoloShow025Medium.jpg

Once myself & Andy had done the megasquirt it ran well, needed more tweaking but I went turbo instead:

IMG_0195.jpg

Car before running a low 13sec @ Santa pod:

IMG_0668.jpg

Note the Subframe peeking through- proper research & development being done!!!!

Polo Show in Sept '08

DSC00135.jpg

Made 203bhp & 187lbft without nitrous at 21psi boost- G40 RR Day @ Aldon Automotive

Made 223bhp & 210lbft with nitrous ;D

Car at Oulton Park late November (more subframe testing):

JH4Q7369.jpg

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Obviously this wasn't enough, so for 2010 I've got a little something extra:

IMG_0113.jpg

Afterall I've got to stay ahead of Mark and his MK1 20v clio :rasp:

Monaco 53/468
Yoof! Hello mate, I remember you from the clubpolo forum. I used to be on there alot when I had me G40 (which I miss!), got a 172 now...

my old beaut...

025b0b81.jpg

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
I remeber that car, very clean!

I've got both, Clio is daily drive :approve:

Monaco 53/468
yeah it was a minter mate, sold it to a chap in scotland.

Wouldn't mind another tbh

Yours is frikin' mental!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Awesome! Always wanted a G40 since my '92 CL Coupe lol loved that even though it was a banger.

Keep up the good work mate. Can't wait to see what it's like with the new engine!

Qashcow
thats some impressive hp for a 1.3, fair play to you. im a vw man too, well, i managed to write enough of them off when i was younger lol

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
The eaton chargers do make good power, but I can't stand the sound! :eek:

Here's my other polo:

IMG_0143.jpg

Once I've got the red one rebuilt I'll start on that- it's waiting for a Saab 9000 Aero motor, 350bhp and 400lbft :cool:

S23

The Cleee-O
Wow! That looks fappin' epic! And the spec is just awesome, that sort or power from a 1.3? Sick! My mate used to have a white GT and that was awesome, wasn't built for speed though just looks. I'm a Dub lad at heart too :). Just looks awesome, can't wait to see 2010 when that new engine goes in :D

Yup... your deffo the guy... My mates called chris/tron... his eaton is bright green?

Few random questions while your hear.... is there much difference between a GT and G40 bottom end?.... Ive always fancied building a turbo small block but G40 lumps are to pricey.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I love that. I agree with engle the first pic is best although I know the others are for practicality at pod etc. Well done!

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Jamie- went quite well on bodies, would have been about 120bhp and 110lbft if I'd finished the mapping. I was going to fit direct port nitrous onto it aswell. However I drove my brother's G40 Turbo and sacked N/A off... I do miss the sound, but boost is the only way!

Whiteley- Hope to see you at Oulton in 2010! :)

ValverInBits
alreet norf?
Found your thread mate. Good stuff :D

Be interested to know what the GT25 is like on the road.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
A tiny turbo doesn't help...

Even so, it would cross the line at the same time as your Trevor if this is to be believed:

http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?car_id=304

:)

So would lots of things, do you want your congratulations blow job now or later?

At that pressure your turbo must be cooking your inlet air temps even with a beefy intercooler. Have you not considered a TD04/T25 hybrid? Its compressor map would be more suited to your needs, would it not?

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Fortunately it's got a decent sized cooler on it, and runs a water/methanol injection aswell.

The turbo you see in the pictures is a GT2554R, will probably run 18psi. Old turbo was a K03 removed from a 20v Passat, good for 20psi+ on the 1.8t so not really inefficient on a Polo engine.

Would consider a TD04 (as I have them readily availble) but I'd like to go roller bearing instead of journal.

I'll take my blow job later thanks.

FYI My inlet temps never get higher than 20'C above ambient- whilst on the nitrous the throttle body frosts up :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Fortunately it's got a decent sized cooler on it, and runs a water/methanol injection aswell.

The turbo you see in the pictures is a GT2554R, will probably run 18psi. Old turbo was a K03 removed from a 20v Passat, good for 20psi+ on the 1.8t so not really inefficient on a Polo engine.

Would consider a TD04 (as I have them readily availble) but I'd like to go roller bearing instead of journal.

I'll take my blow job later thanks.

FYI My inlet temps never get higher than 20'C above ambient- whilst on the nitrous the throttle body frosts up :)

The GT2554R (is yours from a skyline R34?) is a good turbo i ran one on my Turbo MX-5. Then i went to a GT2556R as the 2554 seemed to get very hot with its odd exhaust port size (I was killing my post turbo wideband sensors monthly even with a huge heat sink).
What was thinking for you was a TDO4/GT25 hybrid i just missed the T off. I half built one for the MX-5 and then i found out i didn't have room for it lol

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
The GT2554R (is yours from a skyline R34?) is a good turbo i ran one on my Turbo MX-5. Then i went to a GT2556R as the 2554 seemed to get very hot with its odd exhaust port size (I was killing my post turbo wideband sensors monthly even with a huge heat sink).
What was thinking for you was a TDO4/GT25 hybrid i just missed the T off. I half built one for the MX-5 and then i found out i didn't have room for it lol

Bought it straight from Garrett- I believe it's the standard upgrade for a Lotus Carlton (with two obviously)- as it's a 1.3 I'd struggle to spool anything much bigger, even with 9.3:1 CR.

TD04 are really solid turbos- run them at work and rarely have problems, although now need to change as they're approaching their upper RPM limit.