ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my phase 1 story

phase 1 flamer 172
Not a lot to show but will start with some back ground. Back in 2010 after selling my modified ford Anglia 105e I was looking for a hot hatch, never really thought about a Renault but for some reason started looking for a 172. Didn't know back then the difference between phase 1, phase 2, cup etc but ended up with a silver phase 1.On the test drive I knew I wouldn't be able to live with the rock hard lowered suspension and the very loud exhaust but as I always modify my cars I didn't let that put me of. Had it a couple of months when I left it parked at the top of my garden, now my garden is on a slope and I obviously hadn't put the h/brake on, it had been there for a little while when it suddenly (guessing it had jumped out of gear somehow) began rolling down the garden, dropping down onto the patio and crashing ( backwards) into my house/metal waste pipe.
The front bumper valance was ripped of also damaging the wings and the rear bumper and hatch was damaged and dented. Rang my local scrappy who had a phase 1 1.4 model in , in grey which was close enough to the silver that I thought it would do until I sourced some silver phase 1 panels, so all the damaged panels were bought at a very reasonable price and fitted. It was now I realised I much preferred the look of the phase 1 non sport look, so meant I would have to get the replacement panels resprayed. However while out one day collecting bits for my mk1 golf while passing a big lorry coming the other way some thing flew into my windscreen making a huge crack and by the time I arrived home it went across the whole screen, I had also decided by now that I didn't really like the silver and decided to scrap the car, More later.

phase 1 flamer 172
So I thought I would get another, I now knew I wanted a phase 1 as I much prefer the front end and the higher gearing as it was only going to be a road car. Also not either of the silver ones, So after saving and looking around in September 2011 I bought this. (had actually owned it a couple of years by the time this photo was taken as I have replaced the wheels, wanted to run 16 inch rims.)
Clio.jpg

Came on 58,000 miles, as of today 81,500 ish

Last edited by a moderator:
  phase 1 flamer 172
Another thing I wanted to do quickly was replace the sport panels, I just think it looks much better, the wheels don't get lost in the arch,s so I don't need wheel spacers for one thing, I just prefer it although I suspect no one else will, but its my car so that's irrelevant until I try to sell it.
DSCF1525.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
As said this was only ever going to be a road car so I wanted it as refined as a clio could be, so no polly bush,s, solid top mounts etc and I fitted the k-tec super quier ss exhaust system.
DSCF1526.JPG
Actually its dropped a bit and needs some adjustment.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sorry you're right, looks hideous without the proper 172 front end! However its nice that you like it and have done what you want with it, which is the whole point!

how do you find the ktec? I have the super sport one without the centre box and its just horrible, so.....so loud and droney, I'm contemplating buying the silenced centre section but not sure it will be quiet enough and 170 quid is a lot to gamble!

phase 1 flamer 172
So when I bought it the aircon didn't work, just needed regassing I suppose but as I had not had aircon in 40 years of driving I reckoned I could live without it, so purchased the pure delete kit. Recently bought and fitted the non aircon panel so no hole in the bulkhead. Fitted new discs front and rear, changed cambelt and dephaser, gearbox oil, and engine oil/filter gets changed every 18 months/6000 miles. That's about where I am today, have thought about t/b,s and even started buying turbo bits at one time but I cant afford to modify 2 cars so it will probably remain standard, at least for now.

phase 1 flamer 172
My brakes are fine but I have spent many hours using a combination of deox and wire brushes in a drill to take this spare set back to 100% shiny metal, looked brand new. I then fitted new pistons and seals and gave them a coat of silver Hammerite, have also got some stainless bleed valves to fit.

phase 1 flamer 172
Had to fit the obligatory cup spoiler, but as the phase 1 dosnt have a brake light here, and I didn't really want one I filled the hole, not quite good enough though as its starting to crack.
DSCF1532.JPG

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Had to fit the obligatory cup spoiler, but as the phase 1 dosnt have a brake light here, and I didn't really want one I filled the hole, not quite good enough though as its starting to crack.
View attachment 1335533
The PH1 does have a 3rd brake light there, I don't understand why you didn't fit one in the cup spoiler.

phase 1 flamer 172
Are you sure? Mine has a reversing light there, which I assumed was standard, ( none anywhere else) which I don't need as the phase 2 lights have the reverse lights in them, and as said I didn't want a brake light there.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Are you sure? Mine has a reversing light there, which I assumed was standard, ( none anywhere else) which I don't need as the phase 2 lights have the reverse lights in them, and as said I didn't want a brake light there.
100% mate. There should be a pipe for the rear washer too.

phase 1 flamer 172
100% mate. There should be a pipe for the rear washer too.
Yeah I have the washer pipe which I have kept, so where is the phase 1 reverse light then if that's a brake light? phase 2 has the 3rd brake light as the reverse is in the rear lights.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah I have the washer pipe which I have kept, so where is the phase 1 reverse light then if that's a brake light? phase 2 has the 3rd brake light as the reverse is in the rear lights.
I the light cluster.

phase 1 flamer 172
NO, recently sold some phase 1 rear lights, pretty sure no provision for reversing lights, that's the phase 2 lights, I think I'm right here,(but I could be wrong) and that's my last word on the subject.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
NO, recently sold some phase 1 rear lights, pretty sure no provision for reversing lights, that's the phase 2 lights, I think I'm right here,(but I could be wrong) and that's my last word on the subject.
Lol. Posts about problem, people try to help, ignores comments.

Classic CS.

phase 1 flamer 172
Never posted about a problem, didn't ask for any advice, never ignored comments, just disagree with phase 1sr, who I know pretty well and have met several times, so unless something constructive, like your first post, please say nothing.

phase 1 flamer 172
So where are the reversing lights, I don't see a clear section, mine came with phase 2 lights already fitted and I have no memory of seeing phase 1 lights actually lit up, Here is my original spoiler with what I believe is a clear reversing light.
DSCF1533.JPG

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So where are the reversing lights, I don't see a clear section, mine came with phase 2 lights already fitted and I have no memory of seeing phase 1 lights actually lit up, Here is my original spoiler with what I believe is a clear reversing light.
View attachment 1335562
That isn't a reversing light, it's a brake light. It's just the standard spoiler one, same as fitted to none sports. Put your car in reverse, get out and have a look from behind to see where they are in the clusters.

phase 1 flamer 172
As said mine came with phase 2 lights already fitted, which have the reversing lights , the spoiler wasn't working as far as I was aware and being clear I assumed it was a reverse light, when I removed it. I never said I was right, said I could be wrong, can only go by my experience.

phase 1 flamer 172
So, and this is my last word, connected the spoiler light to a power supply and it shone white, only kidding it was red, so yes a brakelight, apologies phase1sr, you were correct.

phase 1 flamer 172
DSCF1574.JPG
I much prefer the phase 2 clusters to be honest. I have seen a couple of owners post photos of the inside of the rear section of sill, so I thought I would take a look at mine. Poor photo but rust has a hold, will get some waxoyl on that which should slow it down a bit.

Clio Williams
When you have so much rust you can trysome really hard specifics. Brunox or something similar. You put a whole bottle in atomizer and after brunox catch rust, you can put some wax etc

phase 1 flamer 172
That's not so much rust, actually quite little. Anyway pulled the hand brake on, quite hard I will admit as I was in a hurry and "twang" broke a cable. possibly the 17 year old originals so replaced both. Photo shows not a lot.
DSCF1615.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
I cannot afford to run 2 cars, and have decided I would prefer to get my project/ modified mk1 golf on the road. So any turbo/throttle body/ long term ownership plans I had for the clio have gone. Also wanted to release some funds from it, so sold the superquiet k-tec exhaust, initial plans were to replace it with a used standard system, cheaply available on ebay. However this might only last maybe 6 months before it needed replacing and then I wouldn't be saving any money. But in my garage left over from a previous project I have 3 metres of 2 inch stainless and a ss box, so will attempt to make my own system for not much money, will need to purchase a couple of bends and another box to make a 2 box system.
DSCF1616.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
Its done, not pretty but that wasn't a priority. So 2 box system, both straight through absorbtion type boxes, one large and one small. Dosnt sound too loud while blipping the throttle but yet to test drive it.
DSCF1620.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
Test drove it today, noisier than the k-tec super quiet system I had, that was expected. Too noisy for me to be honest but as I don't commute in it or even use it everyday I can live with it, till it sells or gets broken, not for a while yet .

phase 1 flamer 172
Werent sure how old the ht leads were, maybe original 17 year old items, so thought I would change them. Bought some pretty red ones which was a bit pointless as mostly hidden under the inlet manifold. While there be silly not to do the spark plugs even though I had fitted new ones not that many miles ago. Also had a new coil in my spares section so stuck that on as well.
DSCF1624.JPG DSCF1622.JPG DSCF1623.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
I sold the original wheels as I wanted to run 16 inchers, also wanted an et of around 38 to help fill the arch,s. The replacements I bought I now want to use on the golf so needed some more wheels. Got these, nothing special, certainly not the BBS the home made (not by me) centre caps proclaim them to be, but from memory not a million miles from the original design whose name escapes me.
DSCF1654.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
Its not ruined, its my car so its as i like it, its not for anyone else, its still on the road and has a full interior. Nothing has been changed thats not reversible.. Any way its still going nicely, even my home made exhaust hasnt even needed adjusting. So its time for this..
DSCF1851.JPG

phase 1 flamer 172
When i fitted new front discs i meant to fit some overhauled calipers ( taken back to shiny metal, new pistons and seals fitted) so i thopught its abot time i fitted them.
DSCF1805.JPGDSCF1804.JPGDSCF1803.JPGDSCF1853.JPG