ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my on and off 172 phase 1 project

Im suprised i havnt done this already i usually do it before i even start my restores but anyway.

bought a phase 1 172 as i prefer the aggressive look and it was to replace my series 1 106 rallye on track etc.

Bought it cheap £1200 quid with shabby bodywork which looks like someone has gone over the car with a scoth pad but otherwise reasonable condition.
Plans were to respray the car burnt orange and make it into a 182 looker at the rear. After owning it a month i split up with the wife after 11 years and had to sorn the car. I put it up for sale but had no interest as the belts had no history of being done so i plumpted our for the cam and aux belts doing and all the pulleys ans tensioners. However after driving it home from being done i got the bug and decided to sell a few things and resotre the car in my spare time. A refurb on the wheels and dropping the suspension came in one weekend and a day later a set of toyo proxies arrived. I then decided a full service on the engine was in need followed closely by respraying the roof black with a light gold and green flick, wow looked better than i thought. Then came a clio.net meet i though great ill have a run over and check things out for inspiration however that didnt last long as shortly into the run i had a little accident as another member decided to smack my bottom even though i was a good boy. Well last week i managed to get the car back from the bodyshop and blagged the newer phase rear bumper to be fitted, straight away the newer rear lenses were fitted. As of my main ideas about the paint the rear end looked amazing and really went with the black roof and refurbed wheels so i decided i was going to spray the whole car the origional colour, the origional damaged paint didnt show the metalic effect atall compared to the new rear end, i tinted the front lights as they were awful yellow and scratched and fitted the newer side strips and bullets. Today i decided to get off my arse and rub down the headlights and give them a buff and polish and to my amasement the glare is brilliant and they look like i guess they did new. So the car is now booked in for the full respray and ive decided to put my mapped bora tdi running lms for sale instead. here are a few pics.

2010-04-09162952.jpg

2010-04-09163001.jpg

2010-04-09163011.jpg

2010-04-09163118.jpg

2010-04-09184147.jpg

2010-04-12153706.jpg

2010-04-12153712.jpg

2010-04-12135627.jpg

2010-04-12135617.jpg

the lights after i flatted them today, pics taken on my phone ill take some with the camera tomorrow showing the rear etc.

2010-04-26141640.jpg

2010-04-26141651.jpg

2010-04-26141700.jpg

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Lights look so much better! Need to keep the Bora and selling the 172 mate. Itjust so happens I know someone who's looking...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks really nice! (What is that cable tie for hanging off the front bumper, last pic??)

happened when i got the bump i pulled the fog light wire out, not bothered repairing it yet as the bumper is coming off for the respray a week wednesday.

ABOO for the right money i will sell it is on piston heads, ive put this and the bora up as im going into evo territory as soon as i can but im in no rush im enjoying the 172 a little too much

washed it this morning and a fe pics with the fresh flatted lights and new rear end, cars also doing about 35mpg around town now, its gradually running up as ive done 30 miles in it now lol. bit of ying/yang though as the car might be sold in a few hours before i get to finish it and have some fun in it however the plus side is im closer to my evo now and just need to sell the bora.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

well impressed, used the clio to go from wakefield to manchester and even with the 20 minutes of sitting in traffic when i was there i still managed this,

2010-04-27150747.jpg

the more i drive it the more i want to sell the bora and keep it even though its no where near the car the bora is, should be off to bodyshop in the morning too just awaiting confirmation if somone wants it if not fresh paint here we come. :) might even be one of the tidiest phase 1's when it comes back.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Coming on now Mitch. You gonna keep her or still after the Evo?

Calipers look so much better in Yellow. Love the contrast.

Don't suppose you fancy swapping F1's for some 182 Cups????

Hi mate. Ill put picks up in a bit or the respray so far. Erm depending on tyres I might be interested I was going to get some 182 rims Monday as it is.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Alloys have Michelin Exalto's on Mitch. Will have to meet up if you want, so you can have a look.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
I take it that's where it is till Tuesday mate!!!

Will look spot on when done. Phs 1.5 ftw eh;)

a few updated pics, sprayed a few bits black to match the roof, swapped wheels but not sure if to keep them anthracite or go gloss black again like the roof. fitted the new cheapy cheapy splitter :). oh and looky at the shine the pic of the sky is actually a reflection from the roof.

IMG_0267-1.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0261-1.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

forgot to mention new number plate arrived to replace the broken one and the rear boot catch, bumper insert and wiper arm plate will be gloss black too next week. Now its done i just need to ask about getting on the stand for FCS

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Really REALLY nice man :D lovin' the black roof, nice respray on the panels too :)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Mitch, selling up what's happening? Thought she was a keeper...

I can say to any potential buyer, this is a very nice example of a phs1:approve:

cant decide what to do mate, think its going on ebay sunday and ill see what comes of it, fancy selling the bora and getting a bmw 330ci and selling the clio to get a cheap 106gti but im getting my lms back from refrub saturday so i ight change my mind again lol

steering hasnt felt great since ive started to drive it so ive had the steering rack, bushes, rack mount and top struts replaced from a trophy and the car feels a million times better now.