ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play, they're very nice figures and its good to see the manifold adding around 10lbft either side of the previous peak torque figure and more top end. Looking at your graph the manifold might even help mine out top end.

IMAG0051_zps7b1204b1.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just looked at the pic from start to finish Russ. Did try to read but wanted to know the next thing that happened too bad. Really is a jolly nice and thoroughly done car and I like it even more with that manifold; a true lush piece of engineering that. Where have I seen that garage before? I remember thinking it was an ambition of mine to get one like it!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just looked at the pic from start to finish Russ. Did try to read but wanted to know the next thing that happened too bad. Really is a jolly nice and thoroughly done car and I like it even more with that manifold; a true lush piece of engineering that. Where have I seen that garage before? I remember thinking it was an ambition of mine to get one like it!
Thanks Graham appreciate the comments. The workshop is owned by my friend and between us we look after a few cars on here so it's popped up on a few threads.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Gave it a much needed wash today, just need to clean the rubber marks off it and get this years Track Attack graphics on the car.
More importantly ive sorted my infamous flapping bonnet. It's an HR racing fibreglass one and is pretty flimsy at the best of times but the inner skin has been cut out of the front to clear the air filter so it flaps in the middle quite a lot at anything above 30mph!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426351933.717413.jpg

I've been expecting a black flag all season but been lucky I guess. Looked at all sorts of solutions but wanted it to be as neat and discrete as possible. Found demon Tweeks selling these ball and socket quick release panel fixings so got one ordered up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426351916.049883.jpg

Drilled the hole in the middle of the bonnet at the front
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426351977.038445.jpg

Found that the stud part would sit nicely at the angle provided by the upper grille plastic but obviously wouldn't be strong enough to hold the bonnet. Knocked up a simple bracket to mount unseen under the grille/bumper.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352102.581098.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352130.218117.jpg

Just needed riveting in place and the stud put in to check it all lined up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352196.222263.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352211.240151.jpg

Socket fitted to bonnet and stud cut to length.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352247.493971.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352261.295213.jpg

Fitted up nicely and should stop the flapping, more top speed now maybe lol
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426352308.098682.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
£10 says you stab yourself in the b****cks on that stud when you go under the bonnet and forget it's there! Lol! I like those fittings though. Seen them on ebay before. Very neat solution.
My de-skinned steel bonnet flaps like mad as well. Ordering a cm composites one soon.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
£10 says you stab yourself in the b****cks on that stud when you go under the bonnet and forget it's there! Lol! I like those fittings though. Seen them on ebay before. Very neat solution.
My de-skinned steel bonnet flaps like mad as well. Ordering a cm composites one soon.
Haha probably! They are very useful though, could come in handy for all sorts of jobs.
Not seen one of chris' bonnets yet, I expect theyre a bit more substantial than mine though.
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha probably! They are very useful though, could come in handy for all sorts of jobs.
Not seen one of chris' bonnets yet, I expect theyre a bit more substantial than mine though.
Russ
James used to have one on the race car mate. Very high quality as you would expect with Chris tbh. No flapping either! Lol! They're lighter than my de-skinned steel bonnet as well, which is very light considering its steel.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Small update just to say it's all mapped now.
View attachment 123693

It did max the oe injectors out so has a set of megane 225 injectors in there now. Looks like one of the oe ones was leaking slightly as well which may explain why I thought it was overfuelling last season.
Very impressed with the improvements from the new manifold, it's gained power everywhere from 3krpm upwards. Peak Torque is roughly the same as before but the curve is better now. It's a lot smoother now too. See graph below. Ignore the headline figures as it was run in 5th gear but the comparison is valid.
View attachment 123692

Need to get it back on the ramp this week as the gear linkage needs adjusted after being on the dyno. Gonna change the brake fluid and spanner check the whole car ready for testing.
Russ

One of the manifold pipes looks to be running cooler than the rest as it's not turned blue? Shame it's not a back to back comparison as the injector maybe the reason for the increases.

You say it was running one injectors, thought they would have already been maxed out before remapping.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just caught up with this, top work all round. :smile:
Cheers Oli, you coming out to some races this year?

One of the manifold pipes looks to be running cooler than the rest as it's not turned blue? Shame it's not a back to back comparison as the injector maybe the reason for the increases.

You say it was running one injectors, thought they would have already been maxed out before remapping.

Steve, the 'before' results are from last time the car was mapped so was certainly healthy then, injectors were fine but must have been right on 100% duty.
Appreciate it's not a back to back test but changing manifolds between dyno runs is a bit tricky on the clio as you know so it's as good as you'll get. Pms did a proper back to back test on a standard motor on itbs and gained about 5bhp over a 182 manifold but obviously it makes a bigger difference with more revs and more aggressive cams. Tbh I'm not claiming its xyz horsepower now, but I know it's making a decent chunk more power than before + it's a lot smoother and hopefully even more driveable than before. I'm a happy bunny atm but we'll see how it goes the first time it gets driven in anger next week.
Russ

Cup In bits
Everything going good in the RussRacing camp just now, refreshing with all the other cars that seem to drop like flies.... well done, pays to be diligent.

One question on the manifold, can you still run the standard heater matrix with existing hoses/bulkhead penetrations, it looks like some heat management would be needed at the least but its hard to make out from the pics.

Nice van BTW, you going down the prebuilt furniture route for the interior or a full custom self build?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I'm hoping to Russ, cheer you guys on.
Nice one mate, look forward to seeing you sometime throughout the season.

Everything going good in the RussRacing camp just now, refreshing with all the other cars that seem to drop like flies.... well done, pays to be diligent.

One question on the manifold, can you still run the standard heater matrix with existing hoses/bulkhead penetrations, it looks like some heat management would be needed at the least but its hard to make out from the pics.

Nice van BTW, you going down the prebuilt furniture route for the interior or a full custom self build?

I'll have to have a proper look regarding the heater hoses Morgan but i don't think it would be a problem. As for the van, probably end up going for something like what these guys do inside http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111618292673
Russ

Cup In bits
I'll have to have a proper look regarding the heater hoses Morgan but i don't think it would be a problem. As for the van, probably end up going for something like what these guys do inside http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111618292673
Russ

Just the thing... at that price for the mfc board version its hardly worth bothering yourself. VW camper vans command a premium too when complete so well worth the spend. Do you plan a thread for it, I would be interested.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just the thing... at that price for the mfc board version its hardly worth bothering yourself. VW camper vans command a premium too when complete so well worth the spend. Do you plan a thread for it, I would be interested.
Yeah that's what I thought, save a fair bit of hassle and looks the part, or will do in a decent colour. Will probably just add some pics and details in here on the van as and when I can.
It Should be all painted in the next 2 weeks, including bumpers and side mouldings. There are New trim pieces, badges and lights to freshen it up along with some new standard sized alloys and new goodyear tyres. Tinted side windows to go in along with new windscreen. Fiiamma F65 awning will be going on, have the brackets/fitting kit just holding off buying the actual awning as I'm skint! Just gave it a big service before it went to the body shop too, engine oil and filter, gearbox and diff oil, brake fluid, fuel filter, k+n air filter element, x4 glow plugs and glow plug relay.
Russ

Renault Clio RS ph2
Small update just to say it's all mapped now.
View attachment 123693

It did max the oe injectors out so has a set of megane 225 injectors in there now. Looks like one of the oe ones was leaking slightly as well which may explain why I thought it was overfuelling last season.
Very impressed with the improvements from the new manifold, it's gained power everywhere from 3krpm upwards. Peak Torque is roughly the same as before but the curve is better now. It's a lot smoother now too. See graph below. Ignore the headline figures as it was run in 5th gear but the comparison is valid.
View attachment 123692
Which are engine specs (head, pistons, rods, camshaft, etc.)? Are Ktec DTH ITB with Jenvey inlet manifold and 90mm trumpets?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So successful test day at Oulton last weekend. Scrubbed in some new tyres, done some work on tyre pressures and temps and didn't give the car too much of a hard time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061050.390866.jpg

Couple of little issues ive sorted this week. Mostly heat management. The bonnet got very hot and as its FG isn't ideal do some reflective tape is on there for now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428060917.296859.jpg

Also shrouded the brake reservoir a bit more. Replaced the cap seal too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428060956.050274.jpg

So all ready for Rockingham next weekend now. Just have to sort the van.
Got it back from the paint shop last night but has a few issues, pas pump has imploded so need to change that, it's also a bit smoky and the engine management light is on, hoping its to do with the dpf/regen cycle. Diagnostics to do tomorrow.

Looks good though, new wheels and tyres on too. Still have to wire the tow bar, fit the awning, fit the seat covers and new side markers and cross my fingers it runs ok!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061495.067489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061508.696578.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061521.588077.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061534.434841.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061548.733113.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428061559.922820.jpg

Obviously there's nothing been done internally as I ran out of money a long time ago!
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I hope the sprinter isn't suffering from the black death mate!! If it is, your gonna cry buddy. There's a black tar/sludge that builds up around the injectors and it goes f**king solid mate. You have to chisel the stuff off to get at the injectors. Tbf, they don't normally want to start when they've got injector issues, but it's definitely something to look at. It's a nasty time consuming job mate.

clio cup
I had Black Death on my Vito. It's not a nice job and can be expensive if you can't take the injectors out yourself. And all because a 30 pence washer fails!
Late sprinters are not prone to this though so I'm sure it's not that. Sounds more like a EGR fault, fingers crossed mate

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
If it is injectors, and you want to do it your self laser have released a air hammer and injector tool adaptor which should do the trick if it's easily accessible. I borrowed one to changed the washers on me dads van worked a treat.
The air hammer is £65+vat new then you just need the injector tool which is £95 and then the correct screw on part which is abou £10. Brilliant bit of kit and you can buy alsorts of adaptors for removing inner tie rods and ball joints etc.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Van has packed its smoking habit in, was fine this morning and the check light was off. Code read and no faults present. Looks like it was dpf related and makes sense as its been sitting and getting shuffled around the body shop for a month and not been up to temperature.
Got the pas pump changed too, just got to sort all the other jobs tomorrow now.
Russ