ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well had the car on the ramp tonight to give it a thorough look over and spanner check, all is well. No signs if damages, nothing loose, broken or hanging off, can't believe it if I'm honest!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411682271.323123.jpg

The only issue was the suspension geo had been understandably knocked out, was miles more camber on the n/s/f wheel and it was now towing in slightly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411682366.355912.jpg

Adjusted it all to the proper settings, or at least as close as possible using the camber gauge and tracking gauges.
All ready for oulton park now, just needs a proper wash and a good clean up before then as its filthy.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Latest weekend report from Oulton Park then.
It was all about the weather this weekend, the forecast looked horrific for saturday so in advance i swapped my Rainsports on to my OZ wheels that i normally have my dry Dunlops on, i then decided to leave the dunlops at home!
I arrived at the circuit about 4pm, the paddock was pretty quiet although there were some cars out testing.
Got unpacked and setup @Tony Hunter is now my official shelter erector as its just impossible to do it on my own, cheers mate. Weather all good at this point, dry and bright. Got @khj100 's 200 unloaded and setup up too while he made the long trip up from brighton.
31434319631792-vi.jpg

32434319632023-vi.jpg

After @dinger had turned up and unpacked we went to the pub before a bit of a track recce in the dark with @Mini182 and his mate. Time for a good nights sleep, weather still dry, not sure what all the fuss was about!
Well about 5am i found out! Sleeping soundly in the Audi one minute, woken to the sound of torrential rain hitting the roof of the car and everything else outside, the next! The wind had picked up and wrecked a few gazebos around the paddock, Dingers included!

Qualifying
The rain had set in and was still coming down at 9am for quali. Getting a clear run in quali is important normally with a grid of 30+ cars but its even more so if its raining as driving around in someones spray is not ideal! Rainsports fitted and car ready to go, i was the 2nd car in the assembly i was a happy bunny. just after cascades i was in front and clear air, no spray and no need for the wiper even. Managed to get 6 laps or so clear to get the hang of the conditions leaving me a couple of fast laps for the end of the session, my fastest lap was lap 7 even though i hit traffic, lap 8 was shaping up to be a fair bit faster but i locked up into hizzys and couldn't stop the car so ran on and had to abandon the lap. Was setting myself up for 1 more quick one when the flag came out!
barc-oulton-park-04102014-20.jpg

Looking at the dash and seeing a 2.15 lap in the conditions i was pleased but unsure of our position. It turned out we were the fastest french car by over 3 quarters of a second from kevs clio 200 who was half a second faster than the next car too. The only thing in front was James in his 4wd R32 Skyline. Chuffed to grab the first pole since Rockingham at the start of the year.
Video

Race 1

After quali it stopped raining and started to dry up with more cars lapping, there was a decision to make with regards tyres for race 1 as it was still damp/wet in places 30mins before the race, we have to be in the assembly area 20 mins before the race. Going with the majority i fitted my R888's which are now well past their best with the tread on or just over the markers, hopefully there'd be no standing water left! In hindsight i should of put the suspension back to dry settings as well as it was a touch soft now it had dried out.
It turned out there wasnt and it was near enough dry everywhere as long as you didnt go off line.
Got a decent start i thought, but seen John Whelans Yellow 306 come screaming by before the first corner.
barc-oulton-park-04102014-327.jpg

I couldnt stay with him or james' skyline and had a fairly lonely race with kev getting smaller in the mirror. It finished like that, 2nd in Tricolore Trophy behind the 306 and 3rd overall with James Jannikki's skyline out front winning the Nippon race.
Video

Race 2

Now fully dry and bright, It started as race 1 finished really with james and john getting away in front, however kevin middleton had launched his impreza up the inside before the first corner. Just what i didnt need as i really wanted to try and chase the 306 this time after some suspension tweaks and tire pressure adjustments between races. It wasnt to be as i couldnt get past the subaru for half the race and when i did my tires had had it, should of brought the Dunlops after all!
barc-oulton-park-04102014-373.jpg

Good fun nonetheless, it's nice to have a battle regardless of who/what it is. Finished as race 1, 2nd in Tricolore and 3rd overall.
A special mention goes to Ian Collins @mitsiman after having a massive shunt in race 1 on lap 2 the car was wrecked but he and a few others managed to bend it back to some kind of clio shaped vehicle and start race 2! Not only did he start, from the back i might add, but he stormed through the pack to 5th overall i think and 3rd in Tricolore! On a mission sums it up perfectly!
Video

So thats it for this season, im going to give the autumn trophy a miss and concentrate on getting the clio (and the civic) sorted over thewinter for next year, nothing major, just a few tweaks and general manintenance. Its been a year since the clio was first raced and its done 10 races since then without a DNF, yes we've had a few issues we've had to sort due to component failures and one of my goals is to make it as reliable as possible so any issues encountered have been dealt with and improvements made, we've never had a repeat failure. Its also had a Trophy everytime out, i'm my own biggest critic and i'd have liked to have won a race outright this year but looking on the bright side we've had
-x2 Pole positions
-x5 outright fastest laps
-Class 1st's, 2nd's and 3rd's
43434322163663-vi.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the comments this year and for all the help at events, hope to see you all next season.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Latest weekend report from Oulton Park then.
It was all about the weather this weekend, the forecast looked horrific for saturday so in advance i swapped my Rainsports on to my OZ wheels that i normally have my dry Dunlops on, i then decided to leave the dunlops at home!
I arrived at the circuit about 4pm, the paddock was pretty quiet although there were some cars out testing.
Got unpacked and setup @Tony Hunter is now my official shelter erector as its just impossible to do it on my own, cheers mate. Weather all good at this point, dry and bright. Got @khj100 's 200 unloaded and setup up too while he made the long trip up from brighton.
31434319631792-vi.jpg

32434319632023-vi.jpg

After @dinger had turned up and unpacked we went to the pub before a bit of a track recce in the dark with @Mini182 and his mate. Time for a good nights sleep, weather still dry, not sure what all the fuss was about!
Well about 5am i found out! Sleeping soundly in the Audi one minute, woken to the sound of torrential rain hitting the roof of the car and everything else outside, the next! The wind had picked up and wrecked a few gazebos around the paddock, Dingers included!

Qualifying
The rain had set in and was still coming down at 9am for quali. Getting a clear run in quali is important normally with a grid of 30+ cars but its even more so if its raining as driving around in someones spray is not ideal! Rainsports fitted and car ready to go, i was the 2nd car in the assembly i was a happy bunny. just after cascades i was in front and clear air, no spray and no need for the wiper even. Managed to get 6 laps or so clear to get the hang of the conditions leaving me a couple of fast laps for the end of the session, my fastest lap was lap 7 even though i hit traffic, lap 8 was shaping up to be a fair bit faster but i locked up into hizzys and couldn't stop the car so ran on and had to abandon the lap. Was setting myself up for 1 more quick one when the flag came out!
barc-oulton-park-04102014-20.jpg

Looking at the dash and seeing a 2.15 lap in the conditions i was pleased but unsure of our position. It turned out we were the fastest french car by over 3 quarters of a second from kevs clio 200 who was half a second faster than the next car too. The only thing in front was James in his 4wd R32 Skyline. Chuffed to grab the first pole since Rockingham at the start of the year.
Video

Race 1

After quali it stopped raining and started to dry up with more cars lapping, there was a decision to make with regards tyres for race 1 as it was still damp/wet in places 30mins before the race, we have to be in the assembly area 20 mins before the race. Going with the majority i fitted my R888's which are now well past their best with the tread on or just over the markers, hopefully there'd be no standing water left! In hindsight i should of put the suspension back to dry settings as well as it was a touch soft now it had dried out.
It turned out there wasnt and it was near enough dry everywhere as long as you didnt go off line.
Got a decent start i thought, but seen John Whelans Yellow 306 come screaming by before the first corner.
barc-oulton-park-04102014-327.jpg

I couldnt stay with him or james' skyline and had a fairly lonely race with kev getting smaller in the mirror. It finished like that, 2nd in Tricolore Trophy behind the 306 and 3rd overall with James Jannikki's skyline out front winning the Nippon race.
Video

Race 2

Now fully dry and bright, It started as race 1 finished really with james and john getting away in front, however kevin middleton had launched his impreza up the inside before the first corner. Just what i didnt need as i really wanted to try and chase the 306 this time after some suspension tweaks and tire pressure adjustments between races. It wasnt to be as i couldnt get past the subaru for half the race and when i did my tires had had it, should of brought the Dunlops after all!
barc-oulton-park-04102014-373.jpg

Good fun nonetheless, it's nice to have a battle regardless of who/what it is. Finished as race 1, 2nd in Tricolore and 3rd overall.
A special mention goes to Ian Collins @mitsiman after having a massive shunt in race 1 on lap 2 the car was wrecked but he and a few others managed to bend it back to some kind of clio shaped vehicle and start race 2! Not only did he start, from the back i might add, but he stormed through the pack to 5th overall i think and 3rd in Tricolore! On a mission sums it up perfectly!
Video

So thats it for this season, im going to give the autumn trophy a miss and concentrate on getting the clio (and the civic) sorted over thewinter for next year, nothing major, just a few tweaks and general manintenance. Its been a year since the clio was first raced and its done 10 races since then without a DNF, yes we've had a few issues we've had to sort due to component failures and one of my goals is to make it as reliable as possible so any issues encountered have been dealt with and improvements made, we've never had a repeat failure. Its also had a Trophy everytime out, i'm my own biggest critic and i'd have liked to have won a race outright this year but looking on the bright side we've had
-x2 Pole positions
-x5 outright fastest laps
-Class 1st's, 2nd's and 3rd's
43434322163663-vi.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the comments this year and for all the help at events, hope to see you all next season.
Russ

Nice write up Russ, really enjoyed our track walk on Friday evening as well.

Shame you forgot the dunlops though. I had a few tyre issues myself as you know.

You have had some really good results over the last 12 months and the car is a credit to you.

Roll on next season mate!

Great results mate. Loving the trophy cabinet too.

The race videos are on my watch list for later on today. The car has been awesome throughout the year!

Keep us updated with the winter tweaks and the EP3 build :smile:

Was 2.15 your best lap of the day?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers james. I'm sure you'll be right up there next season too.
Russ
Nice write up Russ, really enjoyed our track walk on Friday evening as well.

Shame you forgot the dunlops though. I had a few tyre issues myself as you know.

You have had some really good results over the last 12 months and the car is a credit to you.

Roll on next season mate!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well im not messing around, clio is in bits already. Removed the rear beam tonight as theres play in the bearings where the beam mounts to the car so thats a job to sort before i do anything else.
43434492083527-vi.jpg

43434492083272-vi.jpg

45434492085085-vi.jpg

Got a list to work through that includes going through all the suspension and brakes, new front subframe, new driveshafts, engine and box out, box and diff to be checked, engine stripped and head sent to have valve stem oil seals done, newclutch and flywheel, some wiring to be tidying up and some paint to do.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Most of it is just strip check and rebuild pre emptive. The head needs done as its a bit smoky. Just a few little bits I want to make right that I'm not happy with + maybe some new shiny bits while nobody is looking!
Russ

Clio 182 Race Car
Well im not messing around, clio is in bits already. Removed the rear beam tonight as theres play in the bearings where the beam mounts to the car so thats a job to sort before i do anything else.
43434492083527-vi.jpg

43434492083272-vi.jpg

45434492085085-vi.jpg

Got a list to work through that includes going through all the suspension and brakes, new front subframe, new driveshafts, engine and box out, box and diff to be checked, engine stripped and head sent to have valve stem oil seals done, newclutch and flywheel, some wiring to be tidying up and some paint to do.
Russ
You think that's a list - you should see mine!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Been getting on with the beam this week, had a parcel arrive from Nick at Pure Motorsport,
46435618406452-vi.jpg

comprising the replacement rear beam bearings and circlips. Also ordered their subframe repair washer kit for the wishbone mounts on the new subframe, going to try and strengthen it where possible so thought these made sense too.
Gave the beam a quick coat of satin black, after fitting the bearings, as it was chipped to hell after x2 gravel trap visits at Donny earlier in the season too.
50435618410465-vi.jpg

49435618409073-vi.jpg

You might notice one of PMS's new rear ARB's attached to the beam as well, should be a bit stiffer than the whiteline that has come off so will aid me in my quest for a quicker turn in before i consider even stiffer springs in the rear. Really nice bit of kit as you'd expect, hopefully it'll perform just as well.
51435618411481-vi.jpg

Got the beam back on the car, its probably the worst job on the whole car now as theres no getting around the fact its probably 50kg of awkwardness especially one your own.
56435618416585-vi.jpg

55435618415667-vi.jpg

It certainly looks better than the Whiteline once fitted as i think they look unsightly when following a WL equiped car as the bar hangs down the the drop links are visible, small potatoes probably but its a bit more out of the way from racetrack debris and gravel traps.

Ive ordered a new rear brake line for the osr calliper too as i wasnt happy with how id originally routed it, needed it to be a fair bit longer.
Gave the underside of the car a once over with some black stone guard to protect some bare metal that we welded last year and i never sorted + the aforementioned gravel rash.
Subframe and gearbox to remove next, might leave the engine alone now and buy a cheap spare motor to rebuild and swap them over later on as im happy with the performance of this one, would be a shame to jeopardize its performance or to find other bits like pistons/rings need doing while its apart. Going to get Paul at TDi north to give the map a once over as the part throttle is a little rough (highlighted in the wet at oulton) and its overfuelling especially on the overun, might be a problem with the wideband but we'll see. Dont worry @dinger no more power for me!
Russ

That new rear arb looks like a nice bit of kit, will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

I have the PMS rear stiffening kit on mine the same as you and my rear end feels just about right. Not sure if an arb as well might be a bit overkill.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
You have 182 cup rear beam though don't you tony, mine is a 172 beam so smaller diameter standard 'roll bar' if I'd of known it was bigger when I built the car if of sourced a 182 cup beam and strengthened that. I certainly found it an improvement once the Whiteline bar was fitted at the start of the season so we'll see how it goes.
Russ

I took my arb off after fitting the stiffening kit.

Looks good Russ.