ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new GTI-6 P1

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great buy mate, especially at the bargain you picked it up for.

I'm going to be contreversial though and say that IMO they look really dated - especially from the front, but I think that that's half the appeal.

RB 182

I'm going to be contreversial though and say that IMO they look really dated - especially from the front, but I think that that's half the appeal.

I think this is true of the Phase 1's but the Phase 2's and 3's have aged really well (especially when you compare them to other cars the same age)

I agree though the phase 1's dated look is cool.

I'm going to be controversial and say that I think they are better looking than a 1*2

Cheers! :)

My thoughts exactly! I Love the way it looks, because it's so... 90's! lol

Absolutely love it Joey!!

Headunit looks half decent too, how much was it?

It was off eBay for around £100 IIRC, certainly does the job!

120d M Sport
Agree that they look slightly dated...the PH2 has aged well though as Benno said. Still a cool car.

I'd love a white Rallye personally. Let us know how you get on with the running costs compared to the 106, heard they like a drink.

Saw a grey one of these boot it away from the lights in Stafford the other day, sounded gorgeous.

Agree that they look slightly dated...the PH2 has aged well though as Benno said. Still a cool car.

I'd love a white Rallye personally. Let us know how you get on with the running costs compared to the 106, heard they like a drink.

Saw a grey one of these boot it away from the lights in Stafford the other day, sounded gorgeous.

Aye, I will do. Going to run it for the next couple of weeks hopefully. Will have a few long motorway runs and some B-road driving in there too, so it should give me a good idea and chance to give it a proper drive..
Not expecting to get over 30mpg though tbh! Thirsty.

LOL It certainly feels like Salford, drug dealer neighbours y0.
Yeah, at Uni of Manchester doing Engineering currently, it's not easy though...
I'll be bringing it when I move to Warrington in March; I've already had one car pinched& torched in salford, shan't be making that mistake again ;) haha

120d M Sport
Interesting to hear...thats about what I get out of my 106 GTI. Seems to be one of the main complains people have with these.

If that's true, no excuse not to own one now! Joey, did you say it was cheaper than your 106 to insure?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
You'll be lucky to get 35mpg average out one, most get 25mpg average, some 20mpg average. They are thirsty but its an old engine, no variable valve timing or owt, just an MI16 with some heavily changed internals!

Interesting to hear...thats about what I get out of my 106 GTI. Seems to be one of the main complains people have with these.

If that's true, no excuse not to own one now! Joey, did you say it was cheaper than your 106 to insure?

Not quite, it was about £100 more than the 106, but that's still about £100 less than a Saxo VTS for me!

Not expecting any sort of decent fuel consumption, but then that's not why I bought the thing!

Just had my first proper drive in it, initial impressions are that it feels like a bigger, slightly heavier 106 GTi; which it is tbh! The engine is an absolute peach! Very torquey above 3,000rpm and above 4,500/5,000 it comes alive. Sounds brilliant with the PiperX and Magnex, too. It's not OMG fast, but it's certainly a good step up from the 1600's that I've become used to. The steering is superb! Very well weighted and full of feel; if I had any criticism it would be that it's slightly too heavy at parking speeds, but that's a small sacrifice to make for proper steering feel at speed! You do sit slightly too high in the seat for my liking, and the steering wheel is a little too far away for me being 6foot. It's also a bit larger than I expected, but nothing compared to a Clio ship wheel! lol. Again though, these are things that I'd expect from a French hatch.
Overall I'm very impressed so far; can't comment on fuel consumption as I've not travelled far enough yet, but it hasn't drank too much on the 50 or so miles I've just driven. I'll be able to gauge that a bit better tomorrow when I do a motorway run.
Bargain for under £900!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one! Well looked after ones are hard to come by these days. Especially the ph1s.

RB 182
You'll be lucky to get 35mpg average out one, most get 25mpg average, some 20mpg average. They are thirsty but its an old engine, no variable valve timing or owt, just an MI16 with some heavily changed internals!

Disagree I used to get very similar economy to what I got in my 106 GTI think the extra low down torque helps. If your not driving like You were bullied at school all the time and your only gettin 25mpg I'd say it's broken.

RB 182
Yeah I used to get over 400miles to a tank IIRC. Might depend on what sort of journeys you do but unless you hammer it everywhere I'd be surprised if you get under 30mpg.

Got any plans for it or keeping it as is?

After having done some B-road and motorway driving I've averaged 33.6mpg from £30, so not too bad I guess!

Plans are to just tidy it up currently, needs a new track rod end as one's already been replaced and there's the slightest bit of slack in the steering. Other than that, I'm only really unhappy with the driving position, so a new, lower drivers seat and a dished steering wheel to bring it a bit closer (although I really don't want to stray too far from OEM tbh!)

I still can't get over how good it sounds when giving it some stick. Sounds angry! lol

Last edited:
Hahaha, too right!
I'd definitely recommend one after having a 106 though, brilliant step up in pretty much every aspect really. Takes a while to get used to having 6 gears to mess around with though...

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Thicker rear ARB is a good mod if its not been done already, sharpens up turn in and brings the passive rear steer into play more! I picked one up 2nd hand, half hour to fit.

RB 182
Hahaha, too right!
I'd definitely recommend one after having a 106 though, brilliant step up in pretty much every aspect really. Takes a while to get used to having 6 gears to mess around with though...

Its much getting used to having a car without 6 gears afterwards...

Think i found that took the most getting used to with it was not being able to turn right much.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Lol no lock turning right is a funny thing to get used to, when you see the huge gearbox poking through the wheel arch liner though, you realise why

RB 182
I really want another one better than a 182 in most departments IMO. Trouble is we’ve only room for one car and my GF hated driving my last one :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome. Can't believe I hadn't seen this.

Love the old school look and feel of it, the seats look brilliant, shame to change them. I actually like the headunit too. :eek:

I was thinking of buying myself one of these as a weekend toy when I get a more expensive main car sorted. If they can be had for a similar price to what you've paid then I'll defo consider it!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Mines a weekend car as I have a company car, was considering selling when I got a job with co. car but couldn't part with it! Good weekend cars, look like a HDi too so surprise a lot of people!

Looks great as it is fella!

No to yellow fogs though!

Yeah, kind of thinking the same now tbh! Like the clean looking front end as it is... I'd just seen this photo of it with OEM yellow fogs and thought it looked quite cool.

Mumscamera001.jpg

Its much getting used to having a car without 6 gears afterwards...

Think i found that took the most getting used to with it was not being able to turn right much.

LOL, I've only really noticed that since you said it - I thought it was just a garbage turning circle both ways! Brilliant solution for squeezing in another gear

Awesome. Can't believe I hadn't seen this.

Love the old school look and feel of it, the seats look brilliant, shame to change them. I actually like the headunit too. :eek:

I was thinking of buying myself one of these as a weekend toy when I get a more expensive main car sorted. If they can be had for a similar price to what you've paid then I'll defo consider it!

The seats are mega comfy, they're just old and torn and you sit a bit too high - gets uncomfortable on long journeys... nothing like the 106 did, mind you!

There's a Mint condition silver Phase1 like mine on 306gti6.com going for about £1150 atm.. done 80,000 miles and it looks spotless! Definitely worth a shot as they really are fantastic cars.

Last edited:
Right, small update after having it on the road for a couple of weeks now. Fuel economy has tumbled a bit; got 25mpg from my first full tank and 27mpg from the next - that's from doing about 800 motorway miles, mixed in with some B-road driving etc... Not the best!
The drivers side door pin has also fallen out, which is a massive ball ache every time I want to get out/in. But that's a cheap fix. Other than that, it's been brilliant tbh! I still think it's the best sounding car I've owned, despite being slightly boomy at 70mph in 6th.
I've not cleaned it since the first lot of photo's had been taken, so it's currently in driven not detailed form :eek:

6621100965_fa62e903e5.png

DSC_0902 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621105447_d533c5ce90.png

DSC_0907 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621127585_6cbb74df85.png

DSC_0918 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621134389_de0fff47e9.png

DSC_0919 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621138027_abceee38ef.png

DSC_0921 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621145463_c7f0e5ca04.png

DSC_0923 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621543059_406d5caa79.png

DSC_0924 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621123829_7e775284a0.png

DSC_0915 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621120121_26f09c03d6.png

DSC_0913 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621179509_f5a74f5a16.png

DSC_0934 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621182685_f87bce2646.png

DSC_0935 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Missing door pin

6621174425_97be832dc2.png

DSC_0932 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Also fell victim to the ridiculous right hand turning circle! :(

6621163649_5cf32b7d18.png

DSC_0926 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Oh well, they were due a refurb anyway.

Last thing wrong is this clip, which has snapped. So some sort of wire is being used atm. Considering whether Aero Catches would be worthwhile too as the bonnet latch is a bit rubbish and difficult to operate...

6621187969_b32b93119b.png

DSC_0936 by j0eyD, on Flickr

6621192005_1e63ea0e64.png

DSC_0938 by j0eyD, on Flickr

So that's pretty much it!

Looking forward to running it as a daily come March as it's very comfortable, quite quick and handles superbly!

6621198941_8d34a0ee9b.png

DSC_0941 by j0eyD, on Flickr

Cheeky video too. (sound quality is kinda crap though, unfortunately.)

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/j0eyd/6621498145/in/set-72157628336969175/[/video]