ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My near miss

Swift Sport
Lucky you were paying attention eh! These 'Think Bike' stickers really annoy me as 90% of the motorcyclists I see seem to leave their brain at home before they set off, and that's meant to be our responsibility!? Lol

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is that the bit by Oceana etc? I can't even work out what the idiot was doing!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Lucky you were paying attention eh! These 'Think Bike' stickers really annoy me as 90% of the motorcyclists I see seem to leave their brain at home before they set off, and that's meant to be our responsibility!? Lol

Yup. I know several motorcyclists, and all of them have had several crashes whilst trying to be the next Valentino Rossi. One decided to cut a corner whilst riding along a country road at 70mph. Shame there was a Land rover coming the other way. Lucky to be alive.

In fact I know one biker who killed his pillion. Leaned into a left hand corner, right up close to the kerb. The rider ducked for the lamp post on the inside of the corner, the pillion didn't.

Good save here though. The BMW stopping give you a clue?

RB 182 FF
I hope I'm the % left that isn't....... it's unfair to tarnish all bikers with the same brush! It's like me saying 99.99999999999999999% of Renaultsport Clio drivers are twatty chavs..... It's incorrect and we know loads of tidy folk are here.... I agree there are many many s**t bikers out there and A LOT of irresponsible ones who don't respect the machine as it deserves, but I also know many good and respectful riders... A lot of bikers don't understand the full technical side to riding a bike properly, they don't even master the basics, then have 130-150 bhp at the rear wheel to contend with..! It's monumentally more technical than driving a car well, you need to understand the physics behind bike control and need to be on your absolute A game everytime you ride unlike driving a car...

In this instance however the biker is just a complete fool and will have an accident soon judging by this!

Good reactions @Paris 182 , that biker owes you a pint!:up:

RB 182 FF
Is that because when youre in a traffic jam they just roll on past you between lanes....?! :tongueclosed:

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'm sure everyone has pulled out when they shouldn't have. It simply means this biker made a mistake, not that he's an incapable rider.

Not his finest move however!

RB 182 FF
My bet would be he isn't the best on a bike purely from this move alone, he's shown no assessment of a dangerous situation at all... It wouldn't harm to get up on the pegs and get a vantage point over the bmw before pulling out across multiple lanes, pretty obvious common sense I would hope!

The computer between his ears needs a system restore or a factory reset!:smile:

RB 182 FF
Amazing how many people stop to let people out, if you wave them out and they have an accident you've put yourself in a shitty situation, although it's nice to be polite it's also risky!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing how many people stop to let people out, if you wave them out and they have an accident you've put yourself in a shitty situation, although it's nice to be polite it's also risky!

In the eyes of the law is it the persons fault for letting them out or the one pulling out not looking?

If someone flashes me out at a junction and the view is blocked, i always wait. But then the person letting you out gets pissed off then because you've not trusted them. You can't win sometimes.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's up to the person crossing.

I got let across stop start traffic. Stopped halfway across, checked the bus lane, was clear as far as it was possible to see.

Sadly there was a taxi screaming down it at 50mph, and he caught the back of my car. Was nothing I could have done to prevent it as he wasn't even in view when I started to cross the bus lane and he was going way too quick to stop in time. Right turns are banned so you can't just join the stop start traffic, and you can't go back. No chance of just waiting as the two main lanes are nose to tail for hours at a time.

The junction's being closed soon because it's so dangerous, as a result of the investigation into the crash. Insurance went against me though.

182 ff
I hope I'm the % left that isn't....... it's unfair to tarnish all bikers with the same brush! It's like me saying 99.99999999999999999% of Renaultsport Clio drivers are twatty chavs..... It's incorrect and we know loads of tidy folk are here.... I agree there are many many s**t bikers out there and A LOT of irresponsible ones who don't respect the machine as it deserves, but I also know many good and respectful riders... A lot of bikers don't understand the full technical side to riding a bike properly, they don't even master the basics, then have 130-150 bhp at the rear wheel to contend with..! It's monumentally more technical than driving a car well, you need to understand the physics behind bike control and need to be on your absolute A game everytime you ride unlike driving a car...

In this instance however the biker is just a complete fool and will have an accident soon judging by this!

Good reactions @Paris 182 , that biker owes you a pint!:up:
most bikers make better drivers...the biker(knob) in the video,will be just as bad in a car..its the person not the vehicle...no biker with a brain would ride like that,as for country lane riding, you never go near the white lines on a bend..its not a race track, dont take the racing line..its common sense..my life saver saved my life so many times.on a bike and in a car.... bikers have to look for dangers more,and cover the brakes,and to anticipate what you car drivers are going to do..how many of you clio drivers cover your brakes, when passing a junction.if a car is there\? just in case they pull out? how many of you use the life saver too?
every car driver should have to ride a motorbike for a year, before being allowed in a car, the roads would be a safer place..

182 ff
My bet would be he isn't the best on a bike purely from this move alone, he's shown no assessment of a dangerous situation at all... It wouldn't harm to get up on the pegs and get a vantage point over the bmw before pulling out across multiple lanes, pretty obvious common sense I would hope!

The computer between his ears needs a system restore or a factory reset!:smile:
hes just brain dead.. or on a mission to kill him self... when i am on a bike, i think i have no metal box around me.,if i get hit i die..so it makes you more careful and look more for dangers..all common sense..you wait for a safe gap,and go,its not rocket science..you seen the angle he came out at?..worse angle to be seen by the outside lane. the car should of hit him ha ha

Last edited:
  RB 182 FF
Ever since I started driving I've always covered the clutch everywhere other than motorway driving, and always covered the brake in congested areas where there's potential for needing them.. to me it's common sense as a split second can be all it takes between survival or disaster.... I'm sure a lot of keen drivers do but millions of drivers who haven't a clue as well...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that's not great by him, the person letting him out was fine to do so, the chap shouldn't have proceeded as if it were clear though.

Personally being quite new to it all I'm double careful when I'm out on the proper bike.

When I'm out on the cub however, on my way to work, I'm worse.

What an absolute prick.

Although 99.999999% of bikers are.

Glad I'm that 0.0000001% then. :p

182 ff
Ever since I started driving I've always covered the clutch everywhere other than motorway driving, and always covered the brake in congested areas where there's potential for needing them.. to me it's common sense as a split second can be all it takes between survival or disaster.... I'm sure a lot of keen drivers do but millions of drivers who haven't a clue as well...
i rode a bike for 10 years before i got in a car,so i guess i took the bike way of riding to the car,on my car test,the examiner said,he expects my driving to be above average ,as i had a full bike licence ..i did kangerooed at the 1st set of traffic lights,,only got 3 ticks over all,i asked shall i do the advanced driving lessons,he said no, you dont need them,you've better than most instructors i test.but did state,if you would of kangaroo again ,i would of failed you ha

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that's not great by him, the person letting him out was fine to do so, the chap shouldn't have proceeded as if it were clear though.

Personally being quite new to it all I'm double careful when I'm out on the proper bike.

When I'm out on the cub however, on my way to work, I'm worse.

Glad I'm that 0.0000001% then. :p

I get increasingly dismayed with the regularity in which you admit to riding me. It is worsened by you brazenly admitting riding me recklessly no less!!! 😂😂😂

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
There are two things here that caused the collision @Paris 182 managed to avoid;

1. Wholly inappropriate courtesy
2. Taking a flash of headlights from someone you do not know as confirmation that a situation is safe

Why did the BMW stop to let the biker out?

To feel good that he'd helped one person out for the day? What about the queue of cars behind him that had to stand on their brakes as stopping in a line of moving traffic is the last thing they expected him to do. Help one person out while pissing off several others in the process by doing something unpredictable = retarded.

Why did the biker feel that a flash of headlights from a driver who's a complete stranger to him was all he needed to then move away with his eyes closed? Because he's an idiot.

I let people out if I can do so without inconveniencing others but I never flash them to indicate it's safe to go, I leave space and let them decide. If they sit there unable to make a decision I move on again. If you flash you're leaving yourself open to a world of pain when someone dies as a result of your actions. If you go when someone flashes you without being certain you're safe to do so...you deserve to have an accident!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with Danny - bikers in my opinion are the most impatient and uncourteous road users going. Rarely do I ever see a biker and think the behavior they exhibit is acceptable. The percentage of riders who use the road like that I'd also say is incredibly high - much higher than four wheeled users.

I'll never forget approaching a right hand turn which was part of a single lane A-road, when a biker overtook me at significant speed (as cars were waiting for oncoming traffic to clear before turning) - he must have been doing triple figures, and he knew he couldn't slow quick enough, so had to go around. Outrageous. With so many deaths you'd think riders (in general) would be more sensible. If I see a biker, I slow down and make it easier for them to overtake, as I don't want them anywhere near me. Apart from if I am in stationary traffic, f*****s can wait like everyone else.

Clio 172
Why is it that he's on a bike is he an idiot biker and all bikers are idiots. I've seen things like this happen lots of times, with cars, does that mean all car drivers are idiots!? It was poor judgement, it was a mistake, it looks like a 125 so may only be a young lad. We've all made mistakes. I had a lady flash me out of a junction the other day with a row of cars coming the other way so I didn't pull out and she cursed me for not going, when I couldn't go. She was in a car, doesn't make all women drivers idiots, she just wasn't thinking. Same as the biker in the video above, if he had hit this guy's Clio he would of been at fault end of. But being an ex biker, the amount of times I got pulled out on, cut up ect by car drivers is crazy. Most bikers not all have a lot of common sense when it comes to riding, they have to as they are at greater risk if there is an accident. This biker has learnt a lesson one he won't do again.

The only thing I see in this video is great reaction from the @Paris 182 and also from rider. Could have been a lot worse

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Is that because when youre in a traffic jam they just roll on past you between lanes....?! :tongueclosed:

Haha, no not quite lol.

I always look for bikers (my old man rode Harleys for 15 years - i rode pillion for most of those) so i'm well aware of the dangers!

I actually give more space than most but that seems to count for f**k all lol.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Why is it that he's on a bike is he an idiot biker and all bikers are idiots. I've seen things like this happen lots of times, with cars, does that mean all car drivers are idiots!? It was poor judgement, it was a mistake, it looks like a 125 so may only be a young lad. We've all made mistakes. I had a lady flash me out of a junction the other day with a row of cars coming the other way so I didn't pull out and she cursed me for not going, when I couldn't go.

Just to be clear, idiocy applies to those that think a flash of headlights from a random stranger means you're safe to just blindly go.

Yes, the biker in that case was a bit of an idiot, a car driver in that situation would also be a bit of an idiot.

You are not because you assessed the situation on its own merits. Anyone that doesn't do that...is an idiot!

Clio 172
Just to be clear, idiocy applies to those that think a flash of headlights from a random stranger means you're safe to just blindly go.

Yes, the biker in that case was a bit of an idiot, a car driver in that situation would also be a bit of an idiot.

You are not because you assessed the situation on its own merits. Anyone that doesn't do that...is an idiot!

I get what your saying, I'm saying it's a learning curve as is life. I disagree that it makes them an idiot. I bet you've made mistakes when driving and I bet that rider won't do that again. So that would mean he's not an idiot any more, no!?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I get what your saying, I'm saying it's a learning curve as is life. I disagree that it makes them an idiot. I bet you've made mistakes when driving and I bet that rider won't do that again. So that would mean he's not an idiot any more, no!?

The trouble is people that view driving or riding as something that has a console reset button. In reality when it goes wrong you are lucky if you get a second chance.

A moment's inattention may well seem to have no serious consequences 90% of the time...but the other 10%? How do you know if today is the 90% of times or the 10% of times? Leave it to chance?

Driving/riding should be taken seriously and people should realise that generally they are in control of a lethal killing machine with far more power available to them than from your average 30 round equipped AK47. There's no excuse for leaving things to chance!

The problem is that requires people to pay full attention at ALL times. which seems to the majority to not be at all possible when there's coffee to drink, messages to read, and social media to update.

Clio 172
Totally agree, but mistakes happen. I've lost friends due to mistakes, professionals gave died due to mistakes, mistakes happen, in cars, on bikes, at work. Common sense is not great in some folk, sadly we have to live around these (idiots) people so we have to take chances even if we are thinking clear