ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mk1 MX5 on eBay - 47K 1996 Very Clean

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
19   0   0
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
If any members on the MX5 forums could share this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
19   0   0
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I found it difficult to put a price on it. Plenty advertised for £4k+ in worse condition and more miles. I'll be honest, there hasn't been a great deal of interest in it. Not the best time to be selling a soft top.....

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Clio Sport 182
I found it difficult to put a price on it. Plenty advertised for £4k+ in worse condition and more miles. I'll be honest, there hasn't been a great deal of interest in it. Not the best time to be selling a soft top.....

As im working with mx5's please let me tell you the reason why there is no interest in the car.
1. is the worst time of year to sell convertible and especially mx5
2. is a 1996 uk car. Means 90 bhp with no lsd no electric windows and if i remember correctly no air conditioning.
People who they know why they buying an mx5 they will go for imports. More fun to drive.

Now about the mileage. A lot people think that a low mileage car is always a good car.
NO is not. Most of the times they will cause more problems and they can cost you more.
Most of time services they haven't been done with the excuse that ohh im not using it why I should service it. I’m afraid your car is one of them. Big gaps up to 6 years between servicing.
4) 02.5.01 @26,382 miles
5) 22.8.06 @35,173 miles
6) 11.3.12 @43,393 miles
7) 08.8.15 @46,820 miles - oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs.
And you haven't mention anything about cam-belts tensioners and water pump.

I’m really sorry telling all this. Yes body work is immaculate. i can see it from the pictures. engine wise me personally i will be a bit scared buying it and the reason is the rubbers in the engine will become hard if the car is not been used. If you start using the car regularly you risking start having leaks i.e water pump.
Personally i will prefer to buy an 90k car that is been serviced yearly.
I hope you will sell it soon.

Regards
Paris

Last edited:

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
19   0   0
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Thanks for the detailed post Paris.

I bought mine on condition over engine/spec. I drove all variants 90bhp/115bhp/133bhp and felt that the MX5 was not really about power. The 90bhp still manages to put a smile on your face in the twistys.

I did not want one that had been repaired/welded etc. The mileage did not make me think the car would be any better mechanically than an example with 145k on the clocks. However it is because of the mileage and the fact that it has only been used in dry summer months that it is in this condition. Underneath it looks like a car that is 3/4 years old.

It's surely worth £2995? I can only see it increasing in value.....

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Swift Sport
Mine's a V-Spec on 80k miles and is an import 115bhp with an LSD, leather, Nardi wooden steering wheel & gearnob, electric windows, air conditioning, hardtop and genuine Watanabe RS 15" wheels. It's all fully waxoyled and very clean and never had any welding or repairing and it only gets used on dry summer days.
I'd be delighted with £3000.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
19   0   0
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Mine's a V-Spec on 80k miles and is an import 115bhp with an LSD, leather, Nardi wooden steering wheel & gearnob, electric windows, air conditioning, hardtop and genuine Watanabe RS 15" wheels. It's all fully waxoyled and very clean and never had any welding or repairing and it only gets used on dry summer days.
I'd be delighted with £3000.

A trader has offered £2600 for mine. Maybe he'd sort out the couple of minor jobs and sell it on in the spring....

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
90bhp?? wow didn't know that. I had a go of my mates 1992 import - guess that would've been 115bhp - so slow!
No idea on how much they're worth tho, looks tidy though - would've thought more aimed at an older buyer whos got a hankering for one or a collector. GLWTS

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
19   0   0
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
90bhp?? wow didn't know that. I had a go of my mates 1992 import - guess that would've been 115bhp - so slow!
No idea on how much they're worth tho, looks tidy though - would've thought more aimed at an older buyer whos got a hankering for one or a collector. GLWTS

Thanks.