ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First DA. Anything Else I Need?

Looking into purchasing my first DA.

This is my basket atm

b6be9073.jpg

Is there anything I've missed off that I'm going to need?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
how much are you planning on using it, I didn't see the point in paying extra for the pro version and the difference in cost paid for all my pads and compounds and got on just fine.

If you feel you need the extra power when polishing have a look at the EP800 rotary from CYC

I'm planning on using it a fair bit tbh. Going to hone my skills then offer a detailing service to friends family etc.

I don't quite trust myself with a rotary quite yet tbh. Want to start off with a DA then progress up.

My budget is around £150 for machine and pads etc.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I don't like the Kestrel machines, too big & heavy. Although, that was the rotary, not sure on the da?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No offence Emma but that's simply crazy that basket!

A compounding pad?

I know you don't know much about detailing but people should spend longer researching before jumping in feet first.

Can anyone find that last das-6 thread that I wrote quite a bit in? I'm on my phone.

I personally would buy an EP800 ocer a DA these days. A rotary is much much easier to use and if you listen to the right people you won't do any damage.

If you're going with a DA just stick with the kestrel. If you're spending more buy the rotary. It's a false economy otherwise.

Find that thread and read it. Then come back in here and ask away.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why would you buy polishes like ssr when there are polishes like menzerna out there. The price difference is negligible.

I hate to sound harsh again but it shows lack of research. I could count on one hand the amount of times i've heard ssr mentioned on here.

No offence Emma but that's simply crazy that basket!

A compounding pad?

I know you don't know much about detailing but people should spend longer researching before jumping in feet first.

Can anyone find that last das-6 thread that I wrote quite a bit in? I'm on my phone.

I personally would buy an EP800 ocer a DA these days. A rotary is much much easier to use and if you listen to the right people you won't do any damage.

If you're going with a DA just stick with the kestrel. If you're spending more buy the rotary. It's a false economy otherwise.

Find that thread and read it. Then come back in here and ask away.

Thanks gally. I did read the thread you mentioned.

Im not 100% sure on the pads I'll need. I'm pretty set on a DA to learn then if it works out with doing other cars then I shall progress onto a rotary.

So what pads would you guys recommend for me.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in love with my DAS-6 Pro.

Have a good read of that thread, you'll defiantly learn a few bits.

Last edited:
Why would you buy polishes like ssr when there are polishes like menzerna out there. The price difference is negligible.

I hate to sound harsh again but it shows lack of research. I could count on one hand the amount of times i've heard ssr mentioned on here.

Being harsh is fine as long as its pointing me in the right direction.

I saw someone use the ssr not so long ago and I thought it had decent results hence buying it for myself.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
hasnt AG SRP got a new formula now, which is giving good results?

Isn't it called radiant wax or something? It's still old school in essence. Especially with products like AF Tripple out.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=620334

There's simply so much info in the above thread. James' basket is still pretty spot on.

Sadly people are still a little obsessed with the word "correction". It's not really quite as simple as that.

Ok thanks Kev. I know you reccomended the chemical guys hex pads in there. I'll just order the same :)

Only reason I didn't have them in my basket is they don't have them a i4detailing and it was the cheapest place for a DA

It's better spending the extra money elsewhere and get the right stuff.

Thanks for the advice :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
offering a detailing service to people is a bit ambitious, no offence. the experience needed to do that you'll have worn out your DA. I had people asking me to do it and I was turning them down, I would only clean and seal, never correct or enhance and do it for free or an invite to a summer BBQ. I only ever did two enhancement detail for a close friend and they only paid for the products. I reserve that for my own cars, unless I particularly want to do it to a family members car.

Get it wrong and you're in the sh!t. Look at Toby, someone who I thought of as being pretty experienced :quiet: go through the clear coat wet sanding. A DA is just as dangerous in the wrong hands as a rotary, more so with a more powerful DA. I watched people burn paint with a finishing pad and compound with DA at a recent training course on scrap panels.

As is always said, start with the softest pad and least abrasive compound. even pre wax cleansers like lime prime and SRP can offer a small amount of cut when used by machine. get a scrap panel and work it to get the hang of it, try burning through so you no the warning signs. Please don't go into it without watching as many videos and reading all the guides available

Ok Dave thanks for the info.

My first stop is a scrappy for panel to practice on.

I know what you mean by ambitious. It's just something I enjoy doing by hand and have done a few cars. Just seems the natural progression to move onto a machine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Great post Dave. It's hard answering the same questions daily. I only ask you research.

I research everything I buy. Rigourosly, religously. It's become habit but it lets you understand stuff to get the best from them.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It's just something I enjoy doing by hand and have done a few cars. Just seems the natural progression to move onto a machine.

IMO a good decon wash and seal will make 75% happy, working with a filler heavy product and a good wax with all the other finishing touches will transform most cars, and a lot of people don't really notice the swirls, or they expect levels of correction that simply aren't achievable without a respray. and the time and effort in going through machine use and the results gained, unless a pure enthusiast, aren't always appreciated. I remember having quite an in depth conversation with James at AF about exactly that.

If you can make a noticeable difference to the finish, majority will be happy. And to achieve this most of the time I would use something like SRP / tripple / rejuvenate / lime prime topped up with the appropriate LSP. The difference compared to a previously unprotected car will please most.

I don't mean to put a downer on your plans but it's certainly not something you can just walk into.

PS Kev stop upsetting the GT subforum residents :p

Your not putting a downer on it at all Dave. I appreciate the feedback from those who are experienced.

I don't expected to get a DA, then start doing other cars the next day. I know it's going to take time, effort and practice on scrap panels before I can start thinking about cars.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Upsetting the resident GT fanbois I couldn't care less about.

I'll say it on here as I can't on there, changing/getting rid of the best product to hit the detailing market in years because it's more profitable is piss imo. Then again i'm not a business man.

So after my dressing down yesterday :eek: I revised my basket at cyc to the chemical guys hex pads.

Quick question though, I want some smaller 4" spot pads for the small intricate bits. The hex pads don't do the blue pad in the 4" version. What else in that size would be recommended?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I went for orange, green and black Hex spot pads, the black is very soft and have used it for finishing and glazing

Thanks Dave.

I read the black one is for lsp.

Just thought it might be a bit weird using a blue pad on the larger areas and a black pad on the small areas.

Might just order the black pad in both sizes.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
unfortunately I bought without asking, so ended up with yellow, orange, green, white, black and red 6" pads, and the above 3" pads. I use black for finishing generally