ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first correction attempt with the cyc rotary.

Black Sheep
After looking at buying a rotary or a DA polisher for a few months now, to try and attempt to correct my badly swirled black paint I went for the clean your car compact rotary menz kit. I decided to get this kit as it was highly recommended by many of you detailing gurus, even for beginners! and one other thing it also seemed like very good value and was.

There was a bit of interest from other beginners at the time I bought this kit so I thought I would make this little write up for anyone who was thinking about giving it a bash to show how I got on as I was a complete novice at paint correction.

Back in March I gave the car a good detail by hand so the paint was very clean. During the de tar and claying process I found very little crap on my cloths or clay ect which was good:approve:

The paint after the first detail was always very good as I was amazed at the transformation, but on sunny days the paint was swirl city, below is a pic of the bonnet as a sample but the whole car was generally this swirled if not worse in places.

069.jpg

The kit came in a couple of days and I was very impressed as the polisher its self, has a nice weight to it and it came with a good selection of pads and polishes everything you need to get started. I also got some 3m blue tape at the same time.

I started with a lot of caution at first using the final finish polish and the white foam pad. This let me get used to the machine and made me find out I was using FAR to much polish as it sprayed all over my windscreen wipers and windscreen when I turned the machine on. I was getting some level of cut but I then went up to the blue pad and power finish. I used this between the first and second speed setting, The level of cut improved but was still taking a lot of passes (due to my slow speed I think). Once I found out I wasnt going to burn through my paint like some of these storys people talk about I moved on to the yellow pad. I started on speed setting 1 moving up to 3 when the polish was spread out, This was getting rid of the swirls effectivley I just used a bit of common sence keeping the machine moving and not applying to much preasure these were my first results.

075.jpg

After a bit more refinement this was the finished bonnet.

094.jpg

I removed a lot of the swirling leaving behind A fair bit off Random Deep Scratches. I did not want to chance my luck first time round as I was happy with the results. The RDS will hopefully be removed at a later date when I have more confidence and I have read up a bit more. I did the whole car with the yellow pad and the power finish. This was hard work I wont lie, and A LOT people also think you are some kind of weirdo polishing a car two days in row:mad: Who cares though the swirls were practically all gone just leaving some RDS few at that. I went over the car with a coat of poorboys black hole show glaze and a couple of layers of red vics.

034.jpg

Next up was My new turinis I treated my self to, fresh from the powder coaters got them done in anthracite. I was amazed at how good they were £40 a wheel including the centre caps sprayed and balancing Bargain:approve: Pentland Powder coating for the record just outside Edinburgh.

I went over each wheel with three layers of poorboys wheel sealent inside and out lovley smelling stuff.

020.jpg

040.jpg

This was the car before.

018.jpg

And after.....

041.jpg

Thanks for reading hope it may be of use to someone thinking about trying to correct the paint them selves for the first time. And detailing gurus please tell me where I have gone wrong ect so I can improve next time and also make this thread more usefull.

Thanks

slob.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good mate!

As you have said though, using less polish will reduce the splatter. After the pad is primed, 3-4 pea sized blobs of polish would be about right.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Come up well mate, used mine for the first time at the weekend, a lot easier to use than I expected but man it takes time to do lol

Black Sheep
Come up well mate, used mine for the first time at the weekend, a lot easier to use than I expected but man it takes time to do lol

Cheers for the comments guys. Sanders what polish and pad combo did you use and at what speed setting. It takes a lot of effort but the thought of the finished job keeps you going when you see the paint being corrected as you work round the car was knackered!

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
That's pretty good value, I'm an utter noob when it comes to this. I have some light swirling on my roof and bonnet, I got some of it out with Scratch X and SRP but I'd like to make it perfect, plus my headlights need doing.

I'm genuinely interesting in how easy this is, I've never done anything like this before.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Cheers for the comments guys. Sanders what polish and pad combo did you use and at what speed setting. It takes a lot of effort but the thought of the finished job keeps you going when you see the paint being corrected as you work round the car was knackered!

Just a hex logic finishing pad with some poorboys diamond white polish to get used to the machine mate

RB One Eight Two
Superb results for your first attempt.

I wish someone local to me would do wheel powder coating for £40 a wheel lol.