ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Car - Lets Do Stuff

My Clio Authentique 1.2 (somewhat-project) thread.

Something I thought I’d write up on and share with other folk as well.

This is my very first car (at 23 years old, I know what you’re thinking), and money has been a little tight for insurance and upkeep since I’ve been living off a student loan.

Mainly this will be a very cheap “upkeep” of the car and to have it looking better than it does right now since it looks like I’ll be keeping it for a little longer than what I had initially anticipated. It runs somewhat alright, but could be better to say the least, but it’ll do the job well just now to get from A-to-B. I’ll get on to the mechanical stuff after I’ve got a little bit of cash in my pockets.

So, the car (washed it to make it look at least presentable!):

Front.jpg
Left.jpg
Back.jpg
Right.jpg

Ugly, right?

What do I intend to do? Not too much that’s labour intensive if I’m honest with you;

1= Remove the 3 mud guards that are still somewhat attached, there wasn’t 4 on the car when I bought it.

2= Attempt to sort out the paintwork as best I can, clearly the car as never looked after from the previous owner(s) since there’s a few deep scratches and dents present.

3= Wind deflectors, these things are a must!

4= Exhaust needs sorted, it sounds like an autistic wasp when I’m accelerating…

5= Install a shorter radio antenna, the one already on the car (OEM) is fcuking massive… - why is it 738ft tall, Renault?

6= The headlights are cloudy/oxidised, I’ve sorted these before but it was half-assed so I’ll need to do it properly this time around.

7= Wanting to sort my alloys out, the previous owner(s) has had a field day kerbing them. Ill possibly sand blast them and spray them close to an anthracite colour?

8= Looking to maybe lower the car, it sits about 18 storeys high just as stock.

This thread will be updated whenever I do things to the car. Any opinions and/or guidance is more than welcome, guys! I’m open to learn new stuff all the time, especially if it’s car related. Feel free to show your own work/projects, etc. too, would be nice to have a little comparison and influence from others.

Subscribe to the thread and give a like if you’re keen to see what follows from here.

Personally I wouldn't lower it. As you'll then start going down the proper modifying route and it'd be better to save up for a 1*2 or so

Not likely haha, I'm going to be saving for a second car regardless, this is purely for resale if I'm terribly honest, and a slight learning curve for myself when it comes to detailing.

Personally I think a lowered setup will solve the bouncy, crappy stock suspension that's already on it since it'll be stiffer anyway because it's lowered.

-What do you mean by 1*2? I've seen it a few times and never understood it!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Not likely haha, I'm going to be saving for a second car regardless, this is purely for resale if I'm terribly honest, and a slight learning curve for myself when it comes to detailing.

Personally I think a lowered setup will solve the bouncy, crappy stock suspension that's already on it since it'll be stiffer anyway because it's lowered.

-What do you mean by 1*2? I've seen it a few times and never understood it!
1*2 means either 172 or 182 mate

Clio 182 BG
I haven't done major mods to my 1.2 dynamique but when I got a sport grille and pressed plates it made a huge difference!! And I think the mk2's look unreal lowered so definitely go for it bud!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done major mods to my 1.2 dynamique but when I got a sport grille and pressed plates it made a huge difference!! And I think the mk2's look unreal lowered so definitely go for it bud!!

I was thinking on new plates but I don't think it's something I'm willing to do until my next car, if I like it that much.

Are they expensive, just for future reference?

Clio 182 BG
I was thinking on new plates but I don't think it's something I'm willing to do until my next car, if I like it that much.

Are they expensive, just for future reference?
My pressed plates only cost £30 mate

So, my alloys... oh, dear god the alloys...
Kurbed Left Alloy.jpg
Kurbed Right Alloy.jpg

I'm going to assume some sanding down and good primer wont help these at all?
so my question to you is, what is the best method to get these "paint ready"?
my assumption is to: sandblast, sand with finer wet and dry, primer, base colour coat, clearcoat.
A little guidance (that doesn't cost me too much) would be much appreciated, guys.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If you're wanting to do things on the cheap, I reckon you'll get away with prepping them yourself with rubbing them down and filling where necessary. Don't look to have any big chunks out of them so shouldn't be too bad of a job, although if you end up buying all the paint and spraying them yourself, sometimes it can work out the same or just a little bit more to have them done properly by a proper refurbers.

Be good to learn how to service the car yourself and do odd jobs like that, if you don't know already.

If you're wanting to do things on the cheap, I reckon you'll get away with prepping them yourself with rubbing them down and filling where necessary. Don't look to have any big chunks out of them so shouldn't be too bad of a job, although if you end up buying all the paint and spraying them yourself, sometimes it can work out the same or just a little bit more to have them done properly by a proper refurbers.

Be good to learn how to service the car yourself and do odd jobs like that, if you don't know already.

There's no big chunks out out them, just really bad damage from kerbing them and de-lamination of the stock paintwork.
Any recommendations for good primers and fillers? And is my thought process of how to spray them correct? Don't want it to look shoddy because i've done something wrong on the prep.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
There's no big chunks out out them, just really bad damage from kerbing them and de-lamination of the stock paintwork.
Any recommendations for good primers and fillers? And is my thought process of how to spray them correct? Don't want it to look shoddy because i've done something wrong on the prep.

Have a search on here, there's a few guides knocking about. I was going to do some f1's I've got but decided against it as I've only got a dusty garage to do them in and didn't want dust getting into the paint which, without a doubt, it would have done.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So, my alloys... oh, dear god the alloys... View attachment 186687 View attachment 186688

I'm going to assume some sanding down and good primer wont help these at all?
so my question to you is, what is the best method to get these "paint ready"?
my assumption is to: sandblast, sand with finer wet and dry, primer, base colour coat, clearcoat.
A little guidance (that doesn't cost me too much) would be much appreciated, guys.

Superturismos! Cool!

Have a look in my project thread. I refurbished my track wheels for the price of some filler and black paint.

Key the surface inc the curb marks.

Fill with metal filler.

Sand flat

Prime

Paint

Lacquer

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sweet, thanks!
When you say to "key the surface including the kerb marks" do you mean LITERALLY key my wheels?
I'll be sure to update asap when i've gotten round to doing anything on the car!

No! Sorry, keying is the phrase used to sand (with fine paper, p1500+ job dependant) the surface to give the paint something to 'key' (stick) to.

You're not aiming to remove any paint when keying, just to dull the finish. I'll link something later when my stupid internet decides to work

No! Sorry, keying is the phrase used to sand (with fine paper, p1500+ job dependant) the surface to give the paint something to 'key' (stick) to.

You're not aiming to remove any paint when keying, just to dull the finish. I'll link something later when my stupid internet decides to work

Good! You had me well confused there. (I'm new to this whole refurb/detailing stuff)
No worries buddy!

[Update 1] – Mud guards are gone!

These clips:
Clip.jpg

What a b**ch they were to get off!

I had 2 rusted screws well and truly stuck, which I’ve had to work around carefully to remove the 2 front mud guards.
Rusted screw left.jpg
Rusted screw right.jpg

Anybody have tips on how to remove these? I rounded off both of my torque pattern bits trying to remove them slowly and i tried to break the s**t down on them.

So, before they were removed:
Back left guard on.jpg

After they were removed:
Back left guard off.jpg

Both guards off left.jpg
Both guards off righ.jpg

They’ve collected a fair bit of crap too:
Debris collected.jpg

Over all I’d say this is the easiest job I’ve done in my life even with stubborn screws!

Again, please let me know how to get these out! And how can I remove the evident marking of the guard’s scratch marks? (this wasn’t my doing, I took proper care and time to remove them!)

I think the car will have a slightly cleaner look to it after washing the damn thing again now that the guards are gone.

I’ll get around to ordering some bits online and begin fitting them asap since I’m beginning to have a lot more time as I’m in the last week of my diploma!!! With the hope, I’ll manage to get straight into work within a couple of months of officially finishing!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Got myself a membership today with yours truly...
Probably the best £12 you'll spend (to do with the car obviously)
Mole grips could be of use to get the rusted screws out if you get a firm grip on the head. Worth a try.
Looks good, certainly an improvement by removing the mud flaps.

Probably the best £12 you'll spend (to do with the car obviously)
Mole grips could be of use to get the rusted screws out if you get a firm grip on the head. Worth a try.
Looks good, certainly an improvement by removing the mud flaps.

Oh wow... That's a massive screen capture!
Yea, they just looked hella tacky, i prefer rally-style mud guards but they'd look dumb on this particular car i reckon.
Headlights are on the to-do list today!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd clean up the guards and put them back on rather than have those marks on the bumper.
Sell the wheels, buy some standard 5 spokes and just keep it tidy.

I'd clean up the guards and put them back on rather than have those marks on the bumper.
Sell the wheels, buy some standard 5 spokes and just keep it tidy.

It only had 3 mud guards on it anyway, I'll touch up the marks later on when I can get some paint to do so and the wheels are staying on I'm afraid. Even though I could possibly sell them for ~£250-£300! But I can't be bothered doing anything else to this car since I'm only keeping it for a year. I'll take the time to do more stuff to my next car if it's decent.

Clio 172 - Track Car
Just taken my wheels to a place in brum. Dip and powder for 20£ a corner. Can't complain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
Was gonna suggest a simple rattlecan plastidip on the alloys - if the car is just to teach you some tricks and get your hands dirty, I would set yourself a firm budget and do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you can do, within that budget. Better getting a 1*2 in a year when your insurance has came to renewal & at 23/24 you'll be fine for insurance! Best of luck with it. Paying the £12 membership will probably be one of the best purchases in your budget

Was gonna suggest a simple rattlecan plastidip on the alloys - if the car is just to teach you some tricks and get your hands dirty, I would set yourself a firm budget and do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you can do, within that budget. Better getting a 1*2 in a year when your insurance has came to renewal & at 23/24 you'll be fine for insurance! Best of luck with it. Paying the £12 membership will probably be one of the best purchases in your budget

I doubt I'll have another Clio for my second car to be honest with you and I'm very picky when I do refurb work of any sort... it's done to the best I can or not at all haha, the kerb rash on these wheels are pretty dire, photos do it no justice. Plastic dipping wouldn't do anything to help, would just look the same if not worse haha

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
I doubt I'll have another Clio for my second car to be honest with you and I'm very picky when I do refurb work of any sort... it's done to the best I can or not at all haha, the kerb rash on these wheels are pretty dire, photos do it no justice. Plastic dipping wouldn't do anything to help, would just look the same if not worse haha

ahh, well at least you can mess around with the car and when it comes to your second car you'll be much more in tune with fixing it and sorting it out. This is probably the best place for technical help online!