ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY EP3

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
As I was saying a few pages back, Im going to need some new rubber at some point on the front. Im off to Laptab at 8am in the morning to get my wheels refurbished in Hyper Silver. Now this may be a little stupid of me, I know it probabaly doesnt matter, but it really used to bug me. Basically, read this

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?631773-Different-Tyres-Same-Axle

I never thought to check eBay, but I managed to find a Tyre that matched my 3, with decent tread left. A few days later, I snuck in a cheeky bid and I managed to get this for less than £50 inc next day delivery....

7a39a0ac.jpg

93ee564e.jpg

Well chuffed! Its mint and has 6-7mm on it. So when the wheels are refurbed, I can get them to stick this one on the odd tyred wheel, and rotate the front and back tyres so Ill have a pair of 6-7mm on the front :) Happy days.

I also wanted to check out the spacing of the wheels, purely trial and error, So I started small. I will end up with 10mm Hubcentrics at some point. But for now I've got some cheap 5mm spacers.

a5fd946c.jpg

Im hoping this time tomorrow, Ill have fresh wheels, freshish matching front tyres and some spaced out (slightly) wheels :)

I dont think I've stuck a pic up of the Camber Arms and bolts needed to give the car a Fast Road Set Up, so heres whats needed.

3489e01a.jpg

I also picked up some Energy Suspension Engine Mount Insterts

0f7527cd.jpg

And some consumeables ready for its service. I've had Clutch Fluid, Brake Fluid, Air filter, Pollen Filter, Wipers and Bulbs changed within the past 2k. And it was serviced last 7k ago. So once this little lots gone in and the valve clearences are checked, I will have effectly had the cars 72month Big service, albeit it not all at once if that makes sense :S

So Oil, Filter and Spark Plugs, I need to purchase a fuel filter

061ce6f8.jpg

Ill probabaly get the Service bits and the Engine mounts fitted at a garage, therefore getting the service stamped.

:)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Right my cars been @ Laptab most of the day. Managed to get an amazing deal on my refurb (I went for standard colour, whilst I appreciate people suggest refurbing in a different colour ot its not worth it, I think a set of spanking looking OEM wheels can look cool too!)

I also got the tyres switched round, and my 5mm Spacers fitted. The Spacers were the cheapest mod Ive ever done, and yet are so effective, Im not sure if the pics show it, but they honestly make a difference! They were trial and error, but I think Im sticking with 5mm, I think 10mm+ would be a little try hard.

The cars very dusty right now but heres some quick shots.

261c7bd2.jpg

5e69929e.jpg

c167a70c.jpg

78047cb3.jpg

bacf3eeb.jpg

I also paid alot less than expected for all that work, so Im going to try and sort a FRSU next week, and maybe the oil/Plugs/Engine mounts!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That looks great!

Spacers don't half make a difference. I trust you bought longer bolts?

Essential if they're not hub-centric jobbies.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I will put Eibacks on it eventually, but they came up for £40 posted so I went for it.

Although I spoke to alot of guys on the forum and they said theres a fine.

I honestly recomend spacer to everyone, transforms how the stock wheels look IMO!

Potentially tracking it on Wednesday too....

Had a brief play in some twisties on the way home, car feels loads better, Im guessing a combination of 6-7mm of P Zero's on the front, Matching rears, spot on balancing/tyre pressures, and perhaps even the spacers (slightly) have helped :)

I honestly wasnt sure I wanted the wheels doing, They werent "that" bad and I woke up this morning in a bad mood with very little sleep and was tempted to cancel, but so glad I did now, looks so much fresher (Im sure you felt the same when you got yours done?)

Once the FRSU/Service/I.C.E. is done, I should be with a mod friendly insurer and potentially looking at K-100, Exhaust system and an inlet :) Some JDM Mats and Wind Deflectors and this ones done :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
That looks great!

Spacers don't half make a difference. I trust you bought longer bolts?

Essential if they're not hub-centric jobbies.

I asked the wheel people and they measured them and said they were long enough. Various forums I've looked on have also suggested the stock ones are perfectly fine with 5mm, its above 10mm you run into issues.

TBH, I want red alloy nuts anyway, So if I do need them, Im not too worried ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
5mm is a fair bit without longer bolts. Not something I'd like to risk to be honest mate.

You'll have five or six less threads per bolt now. For the sake of ~£1 per custom bolt, I'd get some that were the correct length. i.e. standard + 5mm.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
The newer ones are fine, but the older ones are prone to snapping. My mates went about 2 weeks ago :(

What ones are mine do you know?

Also, had a look at how you fit them, there seems to be a brake line/cable mount on the stock arm, my new arms dont have this mount?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
5mm is a fair bit without longer bolts. Not something I'd like to risk to be honest mate.

You'll have five or six less threads per bolt now. For the sake of ~£1 per custom bolt, I'd get some that were the correct length. i.e. standard + 5mm.

They are studs with nuts not bolts?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Ah I guessed it was Zip Tied. Cheers Ben!

Chris, Ill look into longer studs, people on various forums (especially the yanks!) were adamant its perfectly fine, but you have sown a small seed of doubt in my mind. It shouldnt cost too much for new studs should it? No idea where to look TBH lol!

EDIT: Found these

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/honda-fitment-extended-wheel-studs-bolts-x-5-1248/

I think 20mm is too much but it at least gives me some info on stockers!

Last edited:

DB.

BMW 440i
Can't believe i missed this thread mate.

Just read through the lot, great choices made so far, especially with the wheels, so fresh now.

Hate dark alloys.

I definitely agree with Gally on the number plates, get them sorted and get some plain replacements, looks so much fresher with plan and simple new plates.

Car's going in the right direction just avoid the chav mods as you are doing! :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Can't believe i missed this thread mate.

Just read through the lot, great choices made so far, especially with the wheels, so fresh now.

Hate dark alloys.

I definitely agree with Gally on the number plates, get them sorted and get some plain replacements, looks so much fresher with plan and simple new plates.

Car's going in the right direction just avoid the chav mods as you are doing! :)

You've met me, I am a chav ;)

I'll probably wait till I get a private plate, I'm after K20 XXX but my initials are gone so Im trying to think of something quirky to put there.

Cheers though Dave :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Yea, so has K20FTW lol

I always said if I bought a plate it wouldnt be car related though.

Although if i had the £500 ish in cash for a aplate I assure you it wouldnt go on a plate ;-) lol

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Do NOT buy a car related plate, I promise you i will slap you round the back of the head if you do. If anything, this is better IMO, http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/buy.html?plate=K13 PWL&price=255

I'm after "D8 RTN" If i get one (David Barton)

But to be honest, i'm not sure if a plate is worth it. BMW 330 Convertible is the next car, 18 months time, i'd rather my money went towards that!

My mates got a 58 plate 330M Sport Cab in Black. He isnt into his cars at all, but he wanted that one so bought it. I lolled @ him the other day when he had to pay £720 for 2 rear tyres :D

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I really wanted some wind deflectors, but JDM ones were £155. I finally decided I was prepared to pay the obscene amount. However, I went to the gym the other day and there were no fewer than FOUR EP3 Type R's haha. Got chatting to one of the owners and his was a no expense spared 255bhp N/A Monster, with a Feels Titianium Muffler, Toda Manifolds & Cams, Genuine Mugen Carbon Engine Bay Covers (£800 retail!), Gruppe M Airbox, K Pro'd etc Pretty much everything but the supercharger (Dude has some insane cars, EP3, FD2 and FN2 Civics, 400bhp Evo 9, Cayenne Turbo, Insignia VXR and a 12 plate Megane Sport that he said was over 300bhp already (Im inclined to believe him having seen the spec of his other cars, all I noticed was the exhaust on it?)

Anyway, his had JDM wind deflectors, and they looked weird. They were too big and brick like, he suggested I pick up some Heko's for £35 and see how I like them, so I have!

Also picked up a M1ke Window rattle kit off the CTRO. Im guessing its not just mine that has ratley windows when they are half way down lol?

RS Megane DCi 175
Looking sweet that! 5mm spacers have made a subtle difference - I like.
I've got Heko's on my FN, look good but do actually come in handy too. I think a wheel refurb is next for mine - anything but a diamond cut finish!

DB.

BMW 440i
It's always the small touches that make a car so impressive.

Eg. Front splitter on the 182

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Looking sweet that! 5mm spacers have made a subtle difference - I like.
I've got Heko's on my FN, look good but do actually come in handy too. I think a wheel refurb is next for mine - anything but a diamond cut finish!

Im considering anthracite as a possible refurb for my fn2.what you reckon.?

TTRS & V50
Looking smart that with all the tarting up with 'furb and spacers. Although i'd agree with Chris and get some extended bolts. (IMO)

Definitely get a FRSU, I can see the N/S/F is running pos camber.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Heko Wind Deflectors came, they are alot bigger than I expected.

Was going to fit them today, but its raining and Im off work tomorrow so I can wash it and then fit them hopefully.

1be754e3.jpg

f56d7293.jpg

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I ended up fitting them in the rain yesterday, rather than the usual clean pictures on my drive, heres something different, a filthy one on a council estate :D

09b37287.jpg

Gave it a quick wash as Im off today, dont know when my next day off is!

55f5fc96.jpg

I've decided AGAINST the double DIN and componants, as I Still dont think it looks good. So once the Engine Mounts, Service and FRSU is completed, with the £500 Ive saved Im going to buy:

Tanabe Upper Strut Brace

http://www.hondaperformanceparts.co...stec_Front_Upper_Strut_Brace_Civic_EP3_01-06/

Tegiwa Rear Lower Strut Brace

www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-civic-ep3-anodized-rear-lower-tie-bar-321/

JDM ARB

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-jdm-rear-anti-roll-bar-civic-type-r-ep3-3035/

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Only the last one will do any thing for the performance of the car so im told .

The tie bar and strut brace are just for the looks / Bling :)

Last edited by a moderator: