ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My detail

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Ok first ill give you a quick run down of the car....

2004, 1 previous owner with 46k miles, fsh.

When buying the car the only negative point i could see was some kerbing on the wheels which were quite bad on 2 of the wheels, that aside the paintwork "looked" in pretty good condition, a light scuf on the front wing but aside from that everything looked perfect.

Im keeping the car off the road until late Janaury, mainly because if i wait until the end of the month i can get another ncb and it will save me just under £500, worth the wait im sure you will agree. ;)

Anyway onto the detail, i used the Megs G220 for the first time, ive never used a polisher before so every step was new, hence why this detail has taken just over 20 hours to do.

Products used were:

Megs polisher
Megs gold class shampoo (2 bucket method)
Megs Clay bar
Menz Intensive Polish (with Sonus SFX-1 after Menz polishing pad didnt quite cut it)
Menz FF
AG SRP (with Megs finishing pad)
AG EGP (with Megs applicators)
P21s Carnauba wax

The car was previously cleaned a couple of days before so no snaps of it with muck im afraid.

The car just before washing:

DSCF0020.jpg

Cleaned the carusing the 2 bucket method, then got ahead with the clay. Ive never really subscribed to claying, my old Saxo was clayed twice, each time i thought it was pretty pointless as it picked nothing up, always ended up been a huge waste fo time and thought maybe the reason why people get huge amounts of debris is because they dont wash it properly in the first place. Until i began claying the Clio....

DSCF0030.jpg

That was for one panel! It seemed like every panel was like this, absolutely covered. Now the previous owner lived just off the motorway, a pretty empty peice of land with a house stuck in the middle and aside from the motorway that was it. Ill never have a bad word against clyaing ever again. :p

After finishing claying, i washed again, with the 2 bucket method, dried and moved the car inside ready for masking up.

Then out came the new stuff. :D

DSCF0044.jpg

All masked up, time to look at the paint, as you can see some swirling, marring and light scratches to make it a good first challenge.

Here are the befores and afters:

Before:
DSCF0068.jpg

After:
DSCF0069.jpg

Before:
DSCF0064.jpg

After:
DSCF0066.jpg

Before:
DSCF0038.jpg

After:
DSCF0056.jpg

Before:
DSCF0019.jpg

After:
DSCF00361.jpg

Before:
DSCF0049.jpg

After:
DSCF0067.jpg

Before:

DSCF0057.jpg

After:

DSCF00131.jpg

Finished correction:

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF00101.jpg

After the Menz intensive polish and final finish i took the car outside, removed the maksing tape and gave it another clean with the megs cold class again using the 2 bucket method, probably would of got away with just the 1 but id rather not risk all my hard work. After the car was then dabbed dry using a terry towel.

Some shots of the car once dried, wheels were not cleaned throughout, wanted to purely concentrate on the bodywork, the wheels were washed on their last wash and the car hasnt been used since so they were relatively clean. :)

Reflection and hard light shots:

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Some of the car:

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

The engine bay was previously degreased using AG degreaser and then given about a half can of WD-40, then using a terry cloth cleaned up a while ago, still looks in good shape. :)

DSCF00191.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Car was then taken back into the garaged and polished, finally EGP and wax was applied.

Unfortunately i havnt yet managed to get any decent snaps of the car completely finished as with fading light i simply ran out of time. Id of waited until tomorrow but with uk daylight and my 9-5 job theres never a moments chance to see the car outside in daylight until next Saturday so these will have to do, you get the general idea though.

DSCF00261.jpg

DSCF00171.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Overall im very happy, paint is fantastic now, yes there are still niggles, some chips on the bumper, deep scratches that simply are beyond polishing capabilities and just general wear and tear that any car will get but i think its the best condition its probably been in since it left the showroom.

Next jobs are to get the 2 wheels refurbed (unless anyone can get me a set of trophy turinis in mint condition please) and give the arches a good clean as well as the interior next Saturday.

Comments welcome, just remember its my first ever detail other than swapping form sponge to wash mitt. :D

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Cheers for all the comments guys. Nothing special used on the engine Mikey, just gave it a quick clean down with AG degreaser, no dressings used yet. Theres still alot to do on the car before im happy with it so just gave it a once over for now.

Mito Sportiva 135
Top work mate, great improvement there! It took me 2 PC sessions until I was happy with mine, and still some minor marks but don't want to eat through too much cleacoat - you will always get a few marks anyway. Bet you had a nice cup of tea after all that!!

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Spot on mate thats some hard work youve put in to get the end results, deffo worth it though.

Great looking car!

Clio
christ all mighty i cant believe how much crap came off on that clay!! Cant believe you managed to get all those scratches and swirls out either, some of those looked deep. Good job though mate, all you need now is tyre shine and silver visions ;)

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Ok, finally finished waxing the car and brought it out into the daylight for some snaps. :p

I decided to give the wheels some dressing but apart from that they just had a quick clean.

Next, interior and arches. :D

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

Mk4 .:R32
was gonna say, all that an no tyre gloss!

looks minted. Need mine full detailing soon! The paint work is a state

Take my hat off to you mate. Had a crack today for the first time with my G220 on a sprint blue punto and even just doing the boot with IP and a strong pad, the difference is worlds apart. I felt like a right prick after trying to for hours to get the scratches out by hand and it taking a mere 20 minutes to tidy the boot up.

Unfortunately the temperature has dropped to -1 here now and I quit whilst I was ahead. Cannot wait to apply FF, SRP, EGP and #16 to it (could use P21s but not durable this time of year).

Well done mate, that's pretty inspiring for your first go. Can't wait to get out and finish the rest of my car now!