ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Car won't start

Black/Gold 182
My 3 month old 182 wouldn't start this morning, but was fine yesterday, anybody got any ideas? What do I do, should I phone the place I got it from, the wonderful uk car discount?

Black/Gold 182
battery is fine, just the engine isn't starting, just wondered if anyone has had this problem with theirs and if it's simple to fix so I don't need to bother using AA etc

Not a Clio
need more info mate... what do you hear when you turn the key?

Is the immobiliser off (if it has one)?

Black/Gold 182
Erm, I'm just getting the battery noise for a few seconds and then nothing. forgive me for my complete lack of knowledge, I'm absolutely useless when it comes to how cars actually work, quite embarrassing when this sort of thing happens

Not a Clio
you mean the starter noise? The battery doesn't actually make any noise.

You say a few seconds so I assume it dies off and does nothing? Battery would be my fist port of call to be honest.

Clio V6 MK I, Megane DCi
Have you tried your other key? One of my plips no longer disables the immobiliser, took me a while to work that out.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Try this..

1. Get out
2. Lock it
3. Unlock it
4. Get back in an try to start it.

:)

Williams 2
It might be the starter motor? It happened to mine the other day (i have a different clio) so i put it in 2nd with the ignition switched on then rocked the car backwards and forwards, then i tryed to start the car and it worked, if that dont work hit the starter motor with a spanner or something so the magnets unlock then try and start it that will work, it may take a few times to work tho

But then again it might not be the starter motor, till it's best to try it wont hurt.

Black/Gold 182
well I drove it, didn't mess about with it, I do switch the alarm sensor off (as it always goes off and I haven't got round to getting it fixed) though by turning the key twice so I suppose that may have done something to the immobiliser. Will try all those things when I get home. Cheers for the help

106 GTi
At 3 months old I would have been straight on the phone to Renault Assitanace!

Is the imobilliser light flashing even with the ignition on?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
does the motor sound as if its turning over, or does it just make a clicking sound for 2 seconds? if so your starter gear/engines jammed.

if its a dead battery, the motor will turn th engine for 2 seconds very slowly, it wond sound full of life.

if its the immobiliser, the starter motor will turn over for more than 2 seconds. Also to you have the new card type key (you'll know if you've got this)? or old/normal type?

Keeps us updated!

Black/Gold 182
Not yet, I was too busy to get it sorted yesterday night and am going to call Renault Assistance when I get back from work tonight, Cheers for all the opinions I think it probably is the immobiliser from the descriptions that have been posted.

Black/Gold 182
Right, here's the story, got Renault Assistance out who send a guy from a local garage, he tries disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it but that doesn't work, confirms it is the immob that's wrong though. Try and get it booked into Renault the next day and they say they can't take it till tues and can't give me a car in the meantime. Th suggest getting the AA out again and for them to try the battery again but to reset the immob code as well. The AA man then comes out and I show him that it won't start, he then sits in the car turns the key and it starts. I must have tried it like 20 times before including about 10 secs before he tried so what's up with that. Renault are still gonna look at it but I can't get an appointment with a courtesy car till the 17th and then that's still got a £2500 excess on it. Really need work to finish so I can drive my car home and remember why I bought it (if it starts).