ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car what do people reckon would be a good choice of modifications to make?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
yeah pal, that's linked us to the album.

Pics are these

Hambleton-20120224-00047.jpg

Hambleton-20120224-00046.jpg

Hambleton-20120224-00045.jpg

renault clio mk2 ph1
Cheers mate, my car is a 1999 Renault clio mk2 Ph1 in green its currently on steel wheels as i did not like the wheel trims it came with i payed 800 pounds for the car and it has 55,000 miles on it. Its my first car as i have just turned 17 last october and are currently still a student

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looks in bloody good nick to be fair. I'd lower it, get some alloys on there (go for OEM, maybe f1's, or something similar) and not a lot else tbh. Just keep it looking tidy.

renault clio mk2 ph1
its in very good nick mate, it has been polished and cleaned both inside and out every weekend since ive had it, there was a tad bit of rust above right rear arch but that has been cleaned up and sorted thanks to my mate. I have made most of the interior modifactions i wish to (i have fitted an edge 12" subwoofer along with alpine speakers in the front doors and a philips head unit) i am now looking to mod the exterior a bit and so as it goes alloys and lowering kit. Would you suggest lowering springs (if so what mm) or save and get adjustable coilovers?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
its in very good nick mate, it has been polished and cleaned both inside and out every weekend since ive had it, there was a tad bit of rust above right rear arch but that has been cleaned up and sorted thanks to my mate. I have made most of the interior modifactions i wish to (i have fitted an edge 12" subwoofer along with alpine speakers in the front doors and a philips head unit) i am now looking to mod the exterior a bit and so as it goes alloys and lowering kit. Would you suggest lowering springs (if so what mm) or save and get adjustable coilovers?

100% I'd say save and get adjustable coilovers. Well worth the wait if you can manage it. Interior wise I'd look at a sport interior too! Straight swap and can be had fairly cheap if it's a ph1 interior.

For wheels don't go bigger than 16" and always get standard ones. 15" is better though :)

renault clio mk2 ph1
Yea ive been looking at the ph1 interior i have seen a few on ebay for around 100 pounds so not to bad but wasnt sure if it would fit in so now i know it will i will probably be purchasing, and yes the steel wheels are currently 14 inch and i have been looking to upgrading to 15/16 inch wasnt sure whether to go down the banded steel wheel line or to save and get some nice alloys (cant decide on colour the choices are: silver/light grey, Black/gunmetal or white

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yea ive been looking at the ph1 interior i have seen a few on ebay for around 100 pounds so not to bad but wasnt sure if it would fit in so now i know it will i will probably be purchasing, and yes the steel wheels are currently 14 inch and i have been looking to upgrading to 15/16 inch wasnt sure whether to go down the banded steel wheel line or to save and get some nice alloys (cant decide on colour the choices are: silver/light grey, Black/gunmetal or white

Banded steels look great on these. I'd suggest any alloys you do think about purchasing you should post on here LOL!. You'll get a decent opinion on whether they are GASH or good.

renault clio mk2 ph1
will do mate, thanks for the help with getting my accout up and running will hopefully have some more posts and pics to put up soon :)

renault clio mk2 ph1
ive been looking for dual optics everywhere i dont have a clue were to get them from and what price i should be paying for them? :( and i will mate dont worry the car is getting cleaned again tmro :p

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
First thing I'd do then is pay your membership on here, as you can use the for sale section. Also try renparts, they are a renault breakers with a traders section on here.

Get looking through other project threads aswell for inspiration.

Welcome along mate, car looks like it's in vgc for sure, nice buy :)

As has been said, keep the modifications pretty OEM+ and you won't go far wrong really.

Must say Rhys, it isn't like you to be this nice to anyone! Everything okay?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Must say Rhys, it isn't like you to be this nice to anyone! Everything okay?

He came on with good grammar, spelling and concept of the English language.
He has a pretty mint condition car that hasn't been ruined (I chose to tactically ignore the sub comments).
Genuinely wants advice.
Is listening to said advice.

Not very often that happens on here!

Last edited:
  renault clio mk2 ph1
Got the badges and front fog lenses sprayed yellow just waiting for them to dry before I upload some pics :)

renault clio mk2 ph1
ill see how yellow ones look and by badges i just meant the front one :) and anyone know what stud pattern the wheels are 4x100?

RS6 C7
ill see how yellow ones look and by badges i just meant the front one :) and anyone know what stud pattern the wheels are 4x100?
4X100 with a 60.1 centre bore.

Car looks really smart mate, Personally i would stick oz f1's on it and lower on coilovers. Maybe a bit of colour coding and other minor mods and then leave it :)

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Looks in bloody good nick to be fair. I'd lower it, get some alloys on there (go for OEM, maybe f1's, or something similar) and not a lot else tbh. Just keep it looking tidy.

OP is 17.

Just bolting lowzzz and rims will take their premium and send it skywards.

Welcome aboard Matty, here's some thinking for you.

Your car cost 800 quid
Would you then spend another 4/500 on wheels and suspension?
Then, probably, a big chunk more on insurance?
Being a student, there must be better things, more deserved of your money (THere sure was when I was still in education!)

You might want a "nicer" motor, but just see how you get along first. If you bolted on shiny new rims then immedieatly kerbed them, how happy would you be about that.

Plenty of time for nicer motors later, the kind you can buy that already have bigger engines, alloys, etc. JUst stay safe, dont crash, build up that no claims and enjoy it for what it is.

WOrk with the steels you've got on now, spray them in Gloss black maybe?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome !

Where you from ?

I'd just leave the car alone TBH. Your insurance will probably rape you for any modifications anyway.

Enjoy it, keep it between the ditches and try not to become a statistic !

renault clio mk2 ph1
im from northallerton :) north yorkshire, and i have a few hundred to spend on my car because i sold a few things i didnt use anymore i am not looking to spend a great deal on the car as the insurance already is sky high i am looking for some cheap alloys or might just get the steel rims clean and banded not to sure yet but thankyou all for welcoming me and giving me ideas to think about :)

ph1 clio 1.2
good car mate, looking forward to seeing it in the future, plans for it??, be good to see a nice green ph1 clio come on the scene! all the best mate

renault clio mk2 ph1
cheers mate and yea i love the ph1 ;) and just hopefully gonna get some banded steelies mate lower it and thats about it really maybe a 172 interior or some cheap buckets :p but yea moneys a problem atm :p