ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Car Red 197

No there is no real need for a spoiler or wing on any road going car.....
That diffuser looks far to small to cause a proper venturi effect and therefore downforce, I would have thought?

Simon

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
yeah the diffuser creates more downforce than the use of a spoiler, but it looks mint when there is a spoiler.. someone on this forum has it that blue one with 18s chrome 5 spoke

Believe that if you want to. Its all marketing bullshit.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
An F1 car doesn't need it but they have it because it makes more downforce, so why wouldn't you get more downforce from having it on the clio, the answer is you do, that's why it handels better than if there wasn't an air defuser. Just because it hasn't got 600 bhp it doesn't mean you can't go round corners quickley, it just means you don't have to slow down as much for them.

i dont like the clio 197, i think the back end looks like a yaris too much and the front end just looks like every other car out there atm. Peugeot, renault.. citreon all exactly the same.

I agree the back ends on all modern cars are designed to be more arodynamic but at the end of the day if I wanted any of your said cars when I bought my 197 I would have bought one, which means that the 197 has made more of an impresion on me than the other said cars. I've just been on the Toyota website and I wouldn't say the 197 looks like a Yaris even from the back, I can see the arodynamics that have gone into it but the 197 is far superior IMO.

I can't believe you're actually comparing an F1 car to a flipping Clio.

The stupid plastic thing stuck to the back of your car is not what is making you go round corners faster. The three things that are are:

1.Chassis
2.Suspension
3.Wheels/tyres

The chassis is excellent on the 197, which is why it is so damn good.

Clio 197
I can't believe you're actually comparing an F1 car to a flipping Clio.

The stupid plastic thing stuck to the back of your car is not what is making you go round corners faster. The three things that are are:

1.Chassis
2.Suspension
3.Wheels/tyres

The chassis is excellent on the 197, which is why it is so damn good.

The reason I was comparing it was because it's where Renault nicked the idea from, I know the clio is nothing like a F1 car.

Although it looks like I'm trying to fight a losing battle here and although your right with your 3 pointers as well but I'm convinced that the defuser makes a difference if nothing else because of the logic behind how it works. It's plastic because plastic is lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03
it doesnt matter how much BHP it has.. its just to keep the car glued to the road at high speed

missing my point completely.

if it was a very fast car (that better?) then it would need the downforce.

its a hot hatch clio. hardly needs planting to the roads as it hits the speed of sound.

The clio does 132, there aren't any cars that can go round a normal country lane corner at that speed so just because it doesn't go at the speed of sound doesn't mean it shouldn't be good on cornering, I'd understand your point if it didn't do anymore than about 40 but it does and it does it well especialy round corners

Punto/Clio GTT
so you do 132mph round country lanes :rolleyes:

pointless arguing, you can argue til your blue but im still convinced it does not a thing at all or very very very very minimal

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
]well how bloody fast do u want to go! at speeds of around 200mph!? 100mph is fast enough... if ll of you say the diffuser does naff all then is there any need of a spoiler on anycar? (hot hatch)

No they are for show. the very last of the current shape impreza turbos do not have a rear spoiler. Its all show. The diffuser on the 197 looks good though :)

Clio 197 - Just Ordered!
Just ordered mine! Del 1st Aug! 15K inc White Speedlines got a red C2 GT at the mo so used to the Looks!!!! No Recaros........can't have it all!!

J

Surely the diffuser would only be functional with a near flat underbody?

Winner!

It's completely useless on the 197.

I've seen no technical evidence to support it's presence other than a promotional gimmick... which seems to be working it's magic with the average joe.