ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold (no)mod thread

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Have you tried a bit of 1500 grit super glued to a thin strip of wood to clean up all the pins in the 'white plug of doom'? Pack it full of silicone grease on reassembly. Solved mine after months of hassle.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's not been on cheese springs for years now. 🤞 The B14's are still nice and intact in their covers.
@DomP182 the starting problem seems to have been resolved by new relays. I bought a new heater solenoid and that fixed the fan so all is good on that front. I'll not disturb the white plug until I need to.

Having driven it to work for a couple of weeks its now the dirtiest it's been for a year. As its only 8 miles to work I can only conclude that Rotherham is a shithole! Problem is if I wash it I'll have to wash the other two too.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody thing wouldn't start this morning. It sat there with some warning lights on the dash and did f**k all else. Obviously it's blocking the wife's car on the drive so I had to use the twingo. Guaranteed when I get home I'll be expected to go fill it up, and my car will probably start straight up.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Still chasing the knock I decided to swap out the pms top mounts to check the bearings. A nice and easy job to whip the B14's off and swap the mounts to standard renault items that I had in my stash.
IMG_20220211_113828_063.jpg

The pms bearings were fine but the rubber mounts will add a little bit of much needed cushioning on the god awful roads in Rotherham that I now have to travel.
With everything put back together I went to torque the wheel bolts and the passenger side wheel moved a bit, and there was the clunk! There was about 10mm of movement back and forth but I couldn't seen what was moving. When I came out with the matches the neighbour was out and asked what I was doing so I showed him and he kindly had a look under the car while I pushed the wheel and quickly spotted the problem, the ball joint was loose on the wishbone. This wasn't evident the other week when I had the wheels off and spanner checked everything and the knocking only started after I had the alignment done, but they wouldn't undo the ball joint surely?
IMG_20220211_132542.jpg

The rubber mounts are bloody ugly things but after a quick blast on some country roads I can confirm that my knocking noise is gone, the car still steers straight and nasty bumps don't sound like I've just driven into a wall like they did through the pms mounts! Hopefully it will just work for a while now. The belts are still due though.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
This morning on the way to work I stopped off for petrol and the bloody thing took ages to start again. I finished work at 6 pm and again it refused to start. I summoned the AA via the app and was told 2 hours so I cancelled them and summoned the wife who sent her dad to pick me up who took nearly as long as the AA would have. The f**king thing needs to stop pushing its luck when it's got a full tank, shame the fire station is over the road from work as I doubt it would have enough time to do any real damage. Looks like I need to learn electrical stuff now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This morning on the way to work I stopped off for petrol and the bloody thing took ages to start again. I finished work at 6 pm and again it refused to start. I summoned the AA via the app and was told 2 hours so I cancelled them and summoned the wife who sent her dad to pick me up who took nearly as long as the AA would have. The f**king thing needs to stop pushing its luck when it's got a full tank, shame the fire station is over the road from work as I doubt it would have enough time to do any real damage. Looks like I need to learn electrical stuff now.
When it does this, have you ever whacked the UCH to try and get it going??
I had exactly this and a new (secondhand) UCH literally solved all my woes.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
When it does this, have you ever whacked the UCH to try and get it going??
I had exactly this and a new (secondhand) UCH literally solved all my woes.
I did look for a stick last night so I could go all Basil Fawlty on it but there's no such thing as trees in deepest Rotherham. And I don't know where the UCH is, but I'm willing to give it a smack. 🔨

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
This reminds me so much of the issues I had with my MG ZS 180 back in the day, I’d go somewhere no issues, come back it no starty… then eventually it’d decide it was indeed a car and start and would allow me to get home, it was a bit like being held hostage by an inanimate object. For me it turned out to be mobile phone masts interfering with the aftermarket Clifford immobiliser I had fitted, basically it was interfering with the signal. So I had to just suck it up and hope for the best, I even started wearing a tin foil hat to protect my brain from the signals but that didn’t help…

i doubt your issue is the same but it’s really similar in its intermittentness…

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
On Tuesday I took the wife's car to work and summoned the AA again to see to mine. For the first time ever an actual AA man arrived instead of a recovery wagon. A quick look around and a waggle of the loom above the starter and it fired up first turn of the key. As he was a rather old rotund short chap he was unable to reach the starter to check the wiring and determine exactly where the problem is but he did tell me about a common wiring issue on 1.2 clios which was of no significance at all and then he suggested I buy a new starter motor. Now I'm not a mechanic or an electrician but I'm pretty sure that as the car starts instantly when the starter gets a signal and a wiggle of the loom seems to restore that signal if it doesn't work then the starter motor isn't at fault. When the weather picks up I'll check the connector to the solenoid is sound and the earth and see how it goes then.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
On Tuesday I took the wife's car to work and summoned the AA again to see to mine. For the first time ever an actual AA man arrived instead of a recovery wagon. A quick look around and a waggle of the loom above the starter and it fired up first turn of the key. As he was a rather old rotund short chap he was unable to reach the starter to check the wiring and determine exactly where the problem is but he did tell me about a common wiring issue on 1.2 clios which was of no significance at all and then he suggested I buy a new starter motor. Now I'm not a mechanic or an electrician but I'm pretty sure that as the car starts instantly when the starter gets a signal and a wiggle of the loom seems to restore that signal if it doesn't work then the starter motor isn't at fault. When the weather picks up I'll check the connector to the solenoid is sound and the earth and see how it goes then.

A mate of mine had nothing but problems with a spade connector on his starter motor, it kept coming off.

Was fine after that was sorted.

Yours is probably a similar issue.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
A mate of mine had nothing but problems with a spade connector on his starter motor, it kept coming off.

This 👆

I replaced the spade connector on mine with a ring terminal. I think it's a 10mm socket to remove the male connector which attaches to the spade, then just tighten back on. It's a bit of a fiddle removing it with the upper inlet off but doable and i'm slightly rotund :LOL:

All the issues with intermittent starting on my 182 were starter/loom related. Never missed a beat since then.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

I had that issue too on one of my old 182's. You should be able to get your hand down between the exhaust manifold (middle two pipes) and feel around for the spade connector. Pull it off and use pliers to squeeze the spade connector a bit so it makes better contact and is less likely to come off in future .

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I think I
View attachment 1581919
Just to prove that it does work and can get me to places. It was mucky again by the time we got there.

And it refused to start when I wanted to got home too 🙄. Bit of wiggling sorted it though. So glad I wasn't in a field full of car enthusiasts at the time. 🤦
Pretty sure I saw you this morning in Sherburn. Your car was working and not being pushed.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Fixed the starting, or lack off starting problem. It was caused by the exciter wire being loose on the spade connector. Probably because when I had the starter off I'd cleaned all the corrosion off it 🤦‍♂️. When it was pushed fully on it was loose but sliding it off slightly it became tighter and the car started fine. I managed to get at it with some pliers and gave it a little squeeze to tighten it up and the cars been fine since. I went to look at a clio 200 that was near work so I've driven all my usual bumpy roads and it started fine afterwards, I had to wiggle the wires 4 out of 5 days leaving work last week! 🤞That's the end of it now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I had that issue too on one of my old 182's. You should be able to get your hand down between the exhaust manifold (middle two pipes) and feel around for the spade connector. Pull it off and use pliers to squeeze the spade connector a bit so it makes better contact and is less likely to come off in future .
Fixed the starting, or lack off starting problem. It was caused by the exciter wire being loose on the spade connector. Probably because when I had the starter off I'd cleaned all the corrosion off it 🤦‍♂️. When it was pushed fully on it was loose but sliding it off slightly it became tighter and the car started fine. I managed to get at it with some pliers and gave it a little squeeze to tighten it up and the cars been fine since. I went to look at a clio 200 that was near work so I've driven all my usual bumpy roads and it started fine afterwards, I had to wiggle the wires 4 out of 5 days leaving work last week! 🤞That's the end of it now.

200.gif

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Mot passed today. My tester had a visit from DVSA so no cheating. After 20 mins of revving the emissions actually passed, now that's a first 😂.
Screenshot_20230224_113441_com.jvelimited.vehiclesmart.jpg

Advisory for cup brake light not working, misting on the headlamp and slight damage to the windscreen (a 6" long crack😆). Not bad for its first voyage after been stood nearly a year. Its going to be my daily for a while until the 200 is fixed and then one needs to be sold, or turned into a track car🤔.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Well that didn't last long! Left work at 7 this morning, requested AA recovery at 5 past and got home at 10.25. Now have 2 broken clio's on the drive again ☹️. I'd just made a left turn in 2nd gear and put my foot down and something gave way and the revs flared followed by a rattling noise and no drive. I just managed to clear the police station entrance and waited for the AA.

You can just about hear a noise a car shouldn't make as the clutch is lifted, it was more rattly this morning. If you can't hear it it sounds like "I'm fucked, I'm Fucked, in fucked.. ".
So now I need to decide which one to fix. 182 may need another gearbox or clutch and the white one needs a clutch master, swivel hub and a load of warning lights sorting. What a predicament! Answers on a postcard please folks.