ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My audio setup for the trophy

200 cup & 106 GTi
Let's face it, the standard system is acceptable at best. I can't see the point in some £30 speakers and a cheap/std head unit so bought some decent stuff. Of course i could have spent much more but there's a limit to how much i wanted to spend for now.

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
Speakers: Focal 130A1 components front & JBL GTO coax rear
Accessories: Autoleads steering wheel & Display interface, Ipod Nano(gen2) & Lacie skwarim 30GB miniHD

The head unit;

Picture040.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Bit of Jimmy Eat World(Display shows folder/album(Bleed american) and track name(Get it faster)

Picture047.jpg

I worked in car audio for a good 4 years so have tested every make from goodmans to nakamichi throughout their whole ranges. Technically for quality i should be looking at Alpine and Naka but as an overall package i stick to pioneer for head units. I bought this one because of the many standard features. USB control being most important, this allows full control of the LaCie skwarim hard drive, it loads the TOC for 30gb of music in around 5 seconds, better than the several minutes my old kenwood usb unit took. It also allows direct ipod control & charging and will access music on more or less any mp3 player as well as a simple 3.5mm aux in on the back. On top of that you get the usual MP3 WMA etc compatibility on normal CDs and great sound quality from the CDs.
Another thing that draws me to pioneer is the great inbuilt EQ settings, can change freq for std EQ settings, width of eq band, High pass filter for inbuilt amp & preouts(freq adjustable) LPF as well, variable loudness(always turned off), great resolution to volume settings(0-62 compared to usually 0-35ish) it comes with an IR remote included as well. And just the general build quality and looks. Only ever had one of thousands of units back, compared to jvc and sony which i used to see on a daily basis.
Downsides: Not easy to use, one control knob does more or less everything, requires quite a bit of force to get it to work properly, rather concentrate on driving. That's it really.
Bargain at £118+P&P

*Plugs http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html *

Lacie hard drive:

Picture044.jpg

skwarim_1.jpg

Great bit of kit, looks a bit camp but whatever. Had mine almost 2 years now, been dropped, abused, plugged into hundreds of computers, been on for days at a time and still looks and works spot on. Bear in mind this is a small internal disc which uses much less power than the larger portable drives so is much more reliable when using it with a car stereo.

Sure you can find somewhere on google that sells them, think i got mine from scan or ebuyer.

Front speakers(usually with grilles fitted) aren't noticeable to even the eagle eyed:

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Sans tweeter cover:

Picture046.jpg

What a ballache to fit.
Anyway i've always liked the sensitivity of focals and the sweet treble that they give. Also they are french so should keep the snail-eating car happy, i doubt it'd like english or japanese speakers.
With the crossovers set at -3db on both sides the treble isn't too bright and overpowering, midbass is great and they seem to be sounding very good, sure they'll loosen up after a week or so of easy listening. Also a great value buy from CAS @ £80+P&P. I'd definitely recommend buying these over some mainstream speakers that cost the same or a little less.

Rear speakers:

Picture048.jpg

Piss easy to fit compared to fronts! Just using them to fill the rear of the car with sound, faded forwards by 5 so that they don't dirty the lovely sound of the fronts but they are a million times better than the standard crap anyway and will keep back seat passengers happy. Treble is overpowering as always with JBLs

Inferno 182 cup
Hey mate can you post a link to the autoleads you used which makes a pioneer head unit compatible with the steering wheel/display interface? Cheers!

vaux cavalier
Those Focal mids would respond well to a well deadened & sealed door, MDF baffles and a nice amp to wake them up....

Just my opinion of course....

Enjoyed reading your post, very informative....

200 cup & 106 GTi
Using this interface, well i will be when it arrives. It's supposed to do the display as well as the steering wheel controls apparently, new version just out, we'll see how it goes. I'll post in here when it arrives(this week hopefully) i'll be one of the first with the new adapter.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6913.html

Then obviously the correct patch lead for your make of unit(if your HU is compatible with steering controls, often needs cd changer capability)

I did really want to seal and deaden the doors but i have only had the car for a 8 days today so i'm gonna give it a bit longer before i start taking door cards off and stuff. Same with the amp, i have several new ones sitting around in boxes and the wiring etc so will sort it when i get round to it. Going to try and avoid fitting a sub to keep weight down.

vaux cavalier
I did really want to seal and deaden the doors but i have only had the car for a 8 days today so i'm gonna give it a bit longer before i start taking door cards off and stuff. Same with the amp, i have several new ones sitting around in boxes and the wiring etc so will sort it when i get round to it. Going to try and avoid fitting a sub to keep weight down.

Will watch this space with interest then.....

Only had car 8 days and your already fitting extras, normally takes me 6 months to decide if I can be bothered lol.....

200 cup & 106 GTi
I don't hang about though, don't think i've ever had a car(of 8 or so) that has had a standard stereo for more than a few days. I love music so it has to be good, and driving 2 hours a day to work and back requires it to sound good! I put my kenwood HU and the usb drive in last weekend till this stuff arrived.

Saying that the standard speakers are comparatively good for a cheap french car, it's the standard head unit that's useless.

200 cup & 106 GTi
yeah, i "customised" the standard tweeters to keep these in place, they look at a strange angle but the dash is curved, the tweeters point straight up.

i thought it was going to be really hard to get the dash off but it was easy!

Your surname isn't pendlebury is it? ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I wouldn't mind some sounds for the vee....Now that i can hear myself think with the polyplex screen!

Works...kind of...
Nice and stealthy. :cool:

Are the Focals amped?

Also hope your doors are sound deadened or you don't deserve them. ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
Your set up looks great!

I've just got some Focal Slim speakers for the Meg but I can't f**king fit them yet because the screw heads are too big.

I am still f**king raging about it and B&Q is shut.. ARRGHHH.

200 cup & 106 GTi
As said further up the thread, sound deadening and ampage will be added in due course, only had the car a week.

Firstly Bleed Smerica, schweet album dude. The middle=:D

You may want to consider trimming the plastic speaker mounts on the door card, if you do this you can then mount and mdf/ply baffle on the door its self, this will improve you're midbass response from the speakers, as will sound deadening once its done.

Focus RS Mk1
yeah, i "customised" the standard tweeters to keep these in place, they look at a strange angle but the dash is curved, the tweeters point straight up.

i thought it was going to be really hard to get the dash off but it was easy!

Your surname isn't pendlebury is it? ;)

yes why? who are you! lol

200 cup & 106 GTi
I'd like to add some baffles, another time! Should be able to fit some thin ones without cutting grilles.

It's Alex ;) Chose your saxo as best overall on ssc stand at trax 2007 ;)

Focus RS Mk1
as in alex robinson? the Alex! lol

yuo bought porkys motor? still got it then...

loving the trophy!

200 cup & 106 GTi
Yup that's me mate :)

Still got it, starting the next stage of engine work etc over the winter, sold the current setup. Will see how things go, think i'll be stuck with a standard engine for next year lol it's light enough and with enough suspension mods etc to make it plenty of fun even with little power.

So happy i have the trophy now, my fabia vRS barge was so boring!

Might catch you at trax or similar if i decide to go, won't be tracking the trophy though.