ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 got written off... replacement suggestions?

So having just spent £500 and many hours on my clio to get it through the mot it was written off by a Zafira on tuesday...
IMG-20170905-WA0003.jpg
As I'm due to start commuting about 80 miles a day mainly on the motorway I am looking for suggestions on what I should replace it with that will give me good mpg whilst still being an enjoyable drive?

Or do I just replace it with another 182 and put up with the mpg!

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Personally I'd be getting something more modern and frugal.

To be honest if you average say, 30 mpg from a 182, that's not so bad. But then it's not averaging twice that which most diesels would do.

Having only just graduated from uni I should probably have mentioned that my budget will be about 2k! If I had the money I'd be getting something newer thats for sure!

And yep the mpg isnt tragic on a 182 by any means and did enjoy mine, hence if a good one with belts done was availible I would be very tempted!

So you'll be doing around 20k a year, I'd be going derv with that mileage. I have a mk3 Mondeo ST155 at the minute and get a real world 50 mpg, tax is only £16 a month and insurance is peanuts at £350, mine has 8 way adjustable electric/heated Recaros, Focus ST 320mm front brake kit, rear sensors, front heated screen, cruise, climate control, decent Sony sound system etc. To drive its very good for an older diesel as the mk3 platform is very good from Ford, and with 265ft/lb of torque on tap it shifts in any gear as well, add a remap and they will annoy most newer German rep mobiles on the road.

They can be picked up for £2k these days and mine has been uber reliable in the 20k miles I've put on it so far, and they still look good IMO.

Last edited:
Thats certainly an option that hadnt crossed my mind yet but I have always been a Ford Fan so I will certainly look into it!

50mpg is exactly the sort of thing im after! As are nice seats, air con and cruise control.

Is the brake upgrade something you bought it with?

Thats certainly an option that hadnt crossed my mind yet but I have always been a Ford Fan so I will certainly look into it!

50mpg is exactly the sort of thing im after! As are nice seats, air con and cruise control.

Is the brake upgrade something you bought it with?
No mate, I managed to get hold of a pair of Callipers from the Focus ST, well Mazda 3 MPS actually as they share the same set-up. You can get them from eBay dirt cheap though and discs and pads aren't to bad either from ECP with their discount, I'm running Brembo High Carbon discs and Brembo OE pads at the minute, but the pads are a bit gash, got some TRW pads to go in though. The OE brakes on the 155 are a bit wooden TBH so the FST upgrade was well worth it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Fabia vRS or Ibiza FR with the 1.9 PD engine. Still quick enough but you'll get 55-60mpg on a motorway.
6-speed box cruises well on the motorway, as does knowing you're not spending half your wages going to and from work.

A remap will see 165-170bhp and 300ft/lbs, which on a motorway makes the car tons quicker than a 182.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Fabia vRS or Ibiza FR with the 1.9 PD engine. Still quick enough but you'll get 55-60mpg on a motorway.
6-speed box cruises well on the motorway, as does knowing you're not spending half your wages going to and from work.

A remap will see 165-170bhp and 300ft/lbs, which on a motorway makes the car tons quicker than a 182.

You had a vrs?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Definatly more Fabia's about than the cupra Ibiza. Standard Ibiza looks a bit meh, fabia is no beauty queen either.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
So having just spent £500 and many hours on my clio to get it through the mot it was written off by a Zafira on tuesday...
View attachment 1334052
As I'm due to start commuting about 80 miles a day mainly on the motorway I am looking for suggestions on what I should replace it with that will give me good mpg whilst still being an enjoyable drive?

Or do I just replace it with another 182 and put up with the mpg!

Any suggestions are appreciated!
That Zafira did a good job! You're lucky to not be injured bearing in mind how much damage was done. Not got any experience to offer car recommendations but good luck on the hunt and hope the insurance claim goes smoothly.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Definatly more Fabia's about than the cupra Ibiza. Standard Ibiza looks a bit meh, fabia is no beauty queen either.

The Cupra is a step up from the FR and the vRS spec, not really fair to compare the two.
Cupra has 160bhp and big 4-pot AP brakes as standard, simple remap has them over 200bhp easily as they come with a better turbo and big Seat Sport FMIC.

Listerine & Poledo
The Cupra is a step up from the FR and the vRS spec, not really fair to compare the two.
Cupra has 160bhp and big 4-pot AP brakes as standard, simple remap has them over 200bhp easily as they come with a better turbo and big Seat Sport FMIC.
Yes, but Ibiza's rust under direct sunlight.
That said, I'd have had a Cupra if I could have found one that wasn't 2-tone or silly-money.

dan's cast offs.
if you were in the car at the time it got hit you'll have more than £2,000 to spend on a car :cool:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yes, but Ibiza's rust under direct sunlight.
That said, I'd have had a Cupra if I could have found one that wasn't 2-tone or silly-money.

Actually the paint fell off mine in direct sunlight (factory paint), I'd be chuffed if it was just a few rust spots.
You're right though, a Cupra would be ace if you could just find one that wasn't silly money or hadn't been to the moon and back.

if you were in the car at the time it got hit you'll have more than £2,000 to spend on a car :cool:

My neck hurts just looking at it!

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
Id agree definitely get something like a vrs... Octavia vrs would be my personal choice you can pick one up reasonably cheap.. The Zafira did a good job on your Clio!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Brakes need a fluid change or something? Shouldn't be spongy?
PD130 remaps easily to about 170bhp, a DIY job you can do at home for about 40 quid.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You remap it through the OBD port using an MPSS cable and laptop, either buy one yourself or find a friend who has one. Then you buy the remap file off Blacksmoke and upload it.

Takes less than five minutes to do, is mega easy.

Edit: Tell a lie, the remap file is £45 quid not 40.