ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 won't go above about 5,500 rpm when in gear.

Abarth 595
Started s few days ago, when the car gets to about 5,000 rpm it just increase the revs really slowly, almost feels like its just hitting the limiter, which of course its way off.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Abarth 595
Yea it still happens if the car has been running for an hour.

I had the timing belt changed about 6months ago and its been fine up until the last few days, could it just suddenly slip or something?

Does it misfire when it reaches 5500rpm? Possible dodgy coil pack / Leads?

Check engine earths are good also!

Abarth 595
Mmm...well it did have a new coil pack a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps thats the issue. Is there a way I can check myself before taking it to the garage?

As Mick said, deffo sounds load related. I had a very similar fault years ago, wouldnt rev up and shift light was coming. Turned out to be a bad engine earth, took ages to find.

Abarth 595
Ah fair enough. This car is pissing me right off recently. Every other week it seems to have an issue. Must have sunk about £1500 into it in the last six months.