ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup refresh/sprint car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
So here we go again, my 4th Clio and 1st Cup. I wanted to get back into sprinting again and have done the odd event in my GT86 but it's to expensive to have an off in even a minor one as headlights are £1000 wing mirrors around £700 !
I was also going to mod it but parts are very expensive when compared to Clio's !
I have been looking for a while and this one came up. It's has had its last 3 owners on here so reasonably well known and looked after. I wanted a standard Car but there's not many about so bought this which has a few good parts on which I can sell on to recover some costs and go towards new standard parts.
I don't have many pictures yet but will get some up as I do things.
Plans are to run in the standard class for next year, why some will ask why as I had a well modded Ph1 before but it costs a lot to build a competitive car. I think without a gripper diff and lower final drive at around £2000 it would not be at the sharp end so plans are to refresh the car which will be a good base to start from and may we'll go back to modified in 2018.
Parts that I have removed are 2118s (already sold) B14's , ktec stealth exhaust, decat, APD inlets.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 158

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
So here's what I have bought so far Turini's and nearly new dampers and new wheels bolts from another we'll know Cup @cs_dave also picked up some inlets and cup springs and standard back box on my way home from Dave's.
Spent a few £££ at @renaultpartsdirect including a service kit,exhaust mounts,rear discs and pads, track rod ends ( more about these later) and top mounts.
So today I set about changing the suspension over and doing the rear brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 115

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Didn't know you went to Cs Dave's I've just bought a door and wing off him and you could of saved me on postage....

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
So here's what I have bought so far Turini's and nearly new dampers and new wheels bolts from another we'll know Cup @cs_dave also picked up some inlets and cup springs and standard back box on my way home from Dave's.
Spent a few £££ at @renaultpartsdirect including a service kit,exhaust mounts,rear discs and pads, track rod ends ( more about these later) and top mounts.
So today I set about changing the suspension over and doing the rear brakes.

looks mint mate popped to work today to find the rear shock mounts have been sent to the return pot address :-(. do you still need them ive put them in a different pack ready

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
looks mint mate popped to work today to find the rear shock mounts have been sent to the return pot address :-(. do you still need them ive put them in a different pack ready
Yes mate as the ones that were on the B14's are shagged.
How do I add pics to show in the thread rather than clicking on them / I have uploaded them to photo bucket but can't paste the img links ?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes mate as the ones that were on the B14's are shagged.
How do I add pics to show in the thread rather than clicking on them / I have uploaded them to photo bucket but can't paste the img links ?

click on upload a image pal will drop them off again tomorrow as got a couple more bits to run down

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
No mate just waiting on you and Ian also don't think lm getting a double room with you single only

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't at the min mate there very cheap from EPC tho. don't have a breaker in atm just gotta sort the stuff I have got lol.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Here are a few pictures of the rear discs etc as you can see the black grease and missing clips
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

As I had bought new a new disc and pad kit I thought the washers were included but weren't so I will have to order a couple along with the missing clips. So it all went back on after freeing off the hand brake and sliders.I fitted the standard springs and shocks and moved on to the front.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I don't know if you've seen the memo Colin but 1b tyres are approved for roadgoing at harewood 2017
Yes I have seen it but can't afford another set of wheels and tyres yet. I will be there for the Longton rounds though.
Cheers

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
So on to the front, I removed the wheels, hub bolts and removed the track rods ends to find some play in the inner steering arms ! so now I need to replace those as well as the top mounts, TRE and bottom ball joints. Its starting to add up the ££ already.
There seems to be no definitive answer on which are the right inner arms and as the gators are split I will get them from renaultpartsdirect I also will need a tool to remove them.I have been told these are 32mm so will get one of these from eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-...322979?hash=item2cb7aff4a3:g:X~0AAOSwpDdVQnbS
I had to cut one of the TRE off as I couldn't get the nut off,quite why the genuine TRE don't include a nut is strange ? anyway a few more images for you.
Thats it for now except I forgot that I have bought a replacement refurbished standard steering wheel.
IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was kinda interested in wheels! How much were they if you dont mind me asking? (Tell me £1000 or i'll be sad)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Should of been more as i got the works forklift stuck on my old mans drive lmfao i ad to pay to get it pulled off lmfao

Life of a wannabe breaker

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_0963.JPG
Managed a couple of hours today so fitted the front dampers and springs with new top bearings and bump rubbers.
Note the obvious mistake on first fit lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
So second time around correctly built up and fitted ! Even managed without spring compressors to fit them back to the arms. Need a couple of new bolts as the top ones are passed their best.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
Then as it was getting dark I moved on to the rear discs. I bought new spacers as the originals were missing , I've ordered a new brake fitting kit that's not arrived in time so just assembled the near side for now.
Think that's it for this year so Happy new year to anyone who's bored enough to read this

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
No cant change springs you could put uprated non adjustable dampers on but not seen next years regs yet so may have removed them.
Only thing to change is brake pads, remove airbags fit bucket seats and cage etc. Obviously the weight penalty of a cage is no good unless you plan on going into modified class at some point like @JohnnyE

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Shame there's not much competition in that class thesedays
I know, hoping a few may turnout with the new class structure. I simply do not have the cash to build a car that would be at the front. I will refresh all the suspension brakes etc and build towards 1B next year. I plan to do a full championship so being out there is better than sitting events out saving for a gripper etc.
What are your plans Paul ? More rallies or are you selling up ?