ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 15 Year-long Mini Rebuild Project (LOTS of pictures, go and get a cuppa!)

Glad you still own it, here's mine, owned it over 20 years now.

Attachments

• Matt_Woods_Photography (55).jpg
    Matt_Woods_Photography (55).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 52

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Oh they’ll be plenty mate, I’d guess the majority of the regulars on here are around 40 and likely started off with minis or had mates who did.
I’ll have to find some pictures of mine, albeit they were taken pre digital cameras!

That looks proper that mate!! 👌

Clio 197,with megan'
I had a Mini Cooper S many years ago, I've been told, it's in the Heritage centre now. Many happy memories with the wife, and three boys in the back.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
That looks like a fairly serious build @T3gav - great to see it!

More updates on mine - and I got the head back on, and thought it was running ok (usual lumpiness due to the cam, and needing a tweak when we set it for emissions), so pulled out of my drive to go the 3/4 mile to the garage for retest, and it would hardly move - I managed to get to the top of the road in 1st at a max of 14mph, and then did a little better once it was downhill! Obviously, I had one hell of a misfire - in fact cylinders 2 and 3 both resulted in no change to the idle when you took the leads off the plugs. Bugger!

My first thought was that I had changed the cap and leads, and that must be the culprit, so ran home and fetched them - and no difference. At this point, I was getting worried that the head gasket hadn't sealed and so I had no compression on the two cylinders. Thankfully, I had a set of plugs with me, so decided just to bung them in to see what happened - and amazingly it was transformed and back on all 4 cylinders. I have never known a plug fail such that it won't spark - especially when they were visually fine - let alone two at the same time!

With that little test complete, it was then the moment of truth to retest the emissions, and thankfully it went straight through at the first attempt - which was a massive relief!

Now I need to make use of it and get some miles added to it, so that was the perfect excuse to join my mates from work for a pub lunch and then pop for a run up to Wirksworth and round some of my favourite local roads - which it managed without breaking down, and ran really nicely - so that's the first 40 miles of shakedown testing complete! I do however need to raise the suspension a little (and possibly stiffen the dampers) - as I am getting some rubbing of the wheels when it hits an especially large bump on the nearside, but that should be easily resolved!

So good to be out in this and not be a bag of nerves in case it doesn't work!

IMG_0537.jpeg