ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mx5 build thread

Adz

Work van
finally i came across a good little car for a project, ive been looking for something jap now for quite a while and i couldnt really make my mind up on what it was to be, then i saw this little 5 on ebay for a good price and couldnt really turn it down. Its a 1997 Classic black - Special Edition (1 of 400) with only 49K miles on the clock. The body work is really good apart from some small rust patches on the rear arches and a repair to the sills need to be redone as it wasnt done to the good of a standard. The plan of attack is good coilovers something like hsd, minilites front 15x9 -5 and rear 15x9 -10 , hard top, nardi steering wheel, garage vary lip and some others bits and bobs, hopefully if everything goes well it should turn into a nice little 5 and a good project.

$(KGrHqF,!hUE5qbS1bYSBOeFhGn9SQ~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!hUE5qnL01SiBOeFhOl7zg~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!g8E5oNCy3JHBOeFhbFdTw~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKooE5j8Zw+jHBOeFhdddO!~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!icE5gJTN0KCBOeFhWDngg~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!loE5YQPF,C-BOeFhTsnJw~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqF,!lEE5zwQOpy4BOeFhYmT6g~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!lsE5ZUojfCgBOeFhdWI2Q~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!jIE5eKtBB!9BOeFhgiyKw~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!lIE5cpHfnzIBOeFhhJV8g~~60_3.jpg

Adz

Work van
yeah its nasty stuff but its all gone now along with the front plate which is sitting in the window ;)

Disastra Coupe
Looks quite a tidy example. I nearly bought a mk1 mx5 a few month back... Still want one deep down.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I have a pang for one of these. Worked on a number of them now and I really want to do something silly

Adz

Work van
make sure the roof is waterproof!

my roof isnt that great tbh, i need a hard top lol

Little bit of an update, until the clio is sold funds are abit tight and i need to get the car lowered and on some nice wheels, this means ive gone and bought some raceland coilovers .. yep i know they are rubbish but they are very cheap and will do the job until funds are better, also ive got to contact minilite and order the wheels i think im going for 15x9 -5 all round as this is the fitment on the car below

IMG_6683-1024x682.jpg

Sounds good. The Racelands will be fine until you get some extra cash.

If the racelands are anything like my 't.a. technix' ones, they'll be Very bouncy. I'd recommend chopping a Large amount out of the rear bumpstops if you're going to have it low - improves the ride loads!
Can't wait to buy some HSD's tbh!

R53 Cooper S
racelands:dead:

Personally, i'd have waited a little longer untill you could afford a decent set of coillies tbh.

The racelands are very bouncy to the point where it felt unsafe going anything over 60mph lol, even at a sensible ride height!

I've now got MeisterR's on mine and it feels like a completely different car!

Thanks Joe - a mk1 mx5 is an itch I need to scratch! Summer next year hopefully :)

Definitely do it. Brilliant cars. Is buy during winter when they're slightly cheaper. It'll give you a bit of time to sort any niggles before summer too!

racelands:dead:

Personally, i'd have waited a little longer untill you could afford a decent set of coillies tbh.

The racelands are very bouncy to the point where it felt unsafe going anything over 60mph lol, even at a sensible ride height!

I've now got MeisterR's on mine and it feels like a completely different car!

This!

172 Cup
Definitely do it. Brilliant cars. Is buy during winter when they're slightly cheaper. It'll give you a bit of time to sort any niggles before summer too!

This!

Fair point but I only work term time so summer is ideal for me having time to sort things out with my time off.

May just keep my eyes peeled and see what comes up :)

Adz

Work van
If the racelands are anything like my 't.a. technix' ones, they'll be Very bouncy. I'd recommend chopping a Large amount out of the rear bumpstops if you're going to have it low - improves the ride loads!

ill give this ago lol i cant wait until the clio goes hsd will be the first thing i buy :approve:

Adz

Work van
another little update, Ive ordered the wheels... now i know there are xxr 002 in the uk but im not sure if there are any in the fitment of 15x9 offset 0 which is what ive ordered nothing special but they always look good on maitas so im happy :D

what it should look like

lowlow01-1.jpg

00259082-3.jpg

00259082-5.jpg

another little update, Ive ordered the wheels... now i know there are xxr 002 in the uk but im not sure if there are any in the fitment of 15x9 offset 0 which is what ive ordered nothing special but they always look good on maitas so im happy :D

Good effort! Can't wait to start making decent progress on mine... having no money sucks! Lol

Adz

Work van

coilovers turned up today and they turned out to be t.a technix lol what are they like apart from being very bouncy?

coilovers turned up today and they turned out to be t.a technix lol what are they like apart from being very bouncy?

Erm... Bouncy is the best way to describe them tbh! lol
They don't go that low either, mine are as low as possible on the front (no thread left!) and as low as is bearable on the rear and the arches only just cover the tops of the tyres...
Also, if you've got the same as me then save yourself the time of taking them off again and chop the bumpstops before you fit them. I've got about 40mm of rubber for a bumpstop to give you an idea - before I did this, the spring wasn't even seated properly - so the whole of the rear of the car was just resting on the bumpstop meaning no travel! Scary in the wet... LOL.

Adz

Work van
Erm... Bouncy is the best way to describe them tbh! lol
They don't go that low either, mine are as low as possible on the front (no thread left!) and as low as is bearable on the rear and the arches only just cover the tops of the tyres...
Also, if you've got the same as me then save yourself the time of taking them off again and chop the bumpstops before you fit them. I've got about 40mm of rubber for a bumpstop to give you an idea - before I did this, the spring wasn't even seated properly - so the whole of the rear of the car was just resting on the bumpstop meaning no travel! Scary in the wet... LOL.

Just had a look at the rears and the bump stop is huge needs chopping up lol i may take the helper springs out for more lows, will be crap ride but anything for more lows ;)

Just get Meisters, will last longer than HSD' too.

hsd are amzaing i dont think the Meister are really in the same league tbh.

Adz

Work van
wheels arrived on firday all the way from the states, only took 5 days for them to be delivered very quick service.

just a quick iphone picture for you guys will upload better ones soon

307785_10150490973278222_751603221_11393847_1338374485_n.jpg

CBR1K, F21 125D
Just had a look at the rears and the bump stop is huge needs chopping up lol i may take the helper springs out for more lows, will be crap ride but anything for more lows ;)

hsd are amzaing i dont think the Meister are really in the same league tbh.

You're telling me this like I don't own both ;)

And both are not in the same league as the Teins still, IMO.

(just the teins don't like our climate :( )

Adz

Work van
You're telling me this like I don't own both ;)

And both are not in the same league as the Teins still, IMO.

(just the teins don't like our climate :( )

ive always read that Meister are just really for super lows? now i would love some teins if only they did like our climate lol

Adz

Work van
test fitted the wheels and.... its going to be nice and flush also got a super jdm spec gear stick and a few other little bits, payday needs to hurry up for some real progress..... what would be the best steel or metal for a skid pan? thickness and grade?

311829_10150506342783222_751603221_11488076_181532090_n.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0559.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

VX220
some good arching rolling needed there. Mine are +13 and rub all the time. Should look good once it is lower and sitting on those wheels.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Loving that fitment! I was always dying to buy wide/positive offset wheels and fit the wide arches.

Regarding suspension I heard great things about the coilovers that Performance5 make.. PureDrive I think they're called. I drove a S/C 1.6 with them fitted and they were very nice indeed.

I put Tein Flex on mine, capable suspension (they were the friggin competition spec ones so you'd hope so!!). Able to go uber-low whilst still providing damping (although I put it back to a sensible height after crushing the chassis rails in the first week) but I can't help feel they were a waste of money compared to other popular units. Build quality was pretty average aswell!!