ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Music through the house whats your set up?

6/468 17poo
Going to be moving to my first house soon and want to either wire it all up so that i have music in each room or set up some kind of wireless music solution like Sonus or the Apple Airport Express/ Apple TV2.

Just wanted to know what peoples setups are so far for some ideas?

I have a Mac, Iphone, wireless internet and quite a big amp...

Ryan

Z4
I'm in the same position as you mate, looking into av setups, the sonus streamers seem like the best solution although very expensive.

Get on the av forums, there's some epic instals on there.

My plan is to have xbmc on my mac in the living room, with sonus in the bedrooms/kitchen/bathroom interlinking it all.
Sounds like an expensive hobby, mind.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Decent speakers .. volume to 11 .. done ;)

Detached bungalow FTW.

When I get my own place .. I'll have to sort something out as I'll not be lucky enough to get a place like this, I'm sure !! Sonus looks ace, but I wonder if it's really worth it :S

6/468 17poo
I have most of the sound equipment just cant work out how to distribute through the house as ill have all the floor up so can possibly run speaker wires throughout the whole house.

Sonus is the nuts, but alot of dosh, its only an end of terrace house so gonna have to limit my dj-noise!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah that's fair enough !! Don't want to P the neighbours off too soon ;) Being able to run cable anywhere is a bonus though !!!

Where abouts in Essikz are you (going to be?!) ?

Si

RS Clio 172
Glad you started this thread. I'm looking for a similar kinda thing now I'm moving out.

6/468 17poo
Moving from Clacton to Colchester, cant wait! ive got to modernize the property so its a bonus to install exactly what i want and where!

Apple airports and apple tv's seem like a good option other than Sonus, seems slightly cheaper!

6/468 17poo
after reading loads last night, i think Apple TV2 is the way to go then if i want another room to have wireless music just buy an Airport Express or I believe you can buy a digital audio splitter so technically i could split the digital code from the APTV2 and send one cable to main stereo then feed a cable to kitchen or bedroom and should then play in each room.

Thats the plan, for £10 more the apple tv seems a better deal as the airport express doesnt have optical out (red light signal) where as the apple tv does.

Do people agree with that?

Ryan

Bus w**ker
Logitech do the Squeezebox range, could be worth looking in to depending on your budget.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
after reading loads last night, i think Apple TV2 is the way to go then if i want another room to have wireless music just buy an Airport Express or I believe you can buy a digital audio splitter so technically i could split the digital code from the APTV2 and send one cable to main stereo then feed a cable to kitchen or bedroom and should then play in each room.

Thats the plan, for £10 more the apple tv seems a better deal as the airport express doesnt have optical out (red light signal) where as the apple tv does.

Do people agree with that?

Ryan

Airport express does have a digital out. But yes i agree.

How do you intend to control the split?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Didn't know there was a second ATV. Maybe things have changed, but when I was looking at them a while back, it appeared as if they would play films you rented from Apple .. and that's about it. Non-Apple .avi's wouldn't work for instance.

Xbox/Ps3/DVD/BR player mostly will play anything these days and most people have one or more of them already.

.avi onto a USB stick .. pop it into the Xbox/BluRay player and voila.

Just my humble opinion but I couldn't see any advantage to buying an ATV apart from not having to copy files to a flashdrive.

Listerine & Poledo
how much do you want to spend and how big a house are you going to?

I used Logitech Squeezeboxes for a while, which are a cheaper alternative to Sonos. Provided you dont cane your router to death with 101 other deivces, they work just as well in most cases.

The only thing they dont do is synchronise music across rooms. So, depends, if you want to play different tunes in different rooms, Squeezebox is OK, but if you want the same tracks, beat-perfect, across the house, then Sonos is your kiddy,

6/468 17poo
House is only a 2 bed end of terrace mate so not massive, but big enough for one person!

Cost- as little as possible just want the right set up and home most stereo equipment, amps speakers etc

I think ill port the music i play in the front room, through to the kitchen and into the conservatory, so speaker wires maybe easier for this.

with the apple tv2 if your computer is off can you still stream music to it over airplay from say ipod touch / iphone? i think apple is the way to go Logitech i always think they go out of date etc and sonus is just too much money

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Would i be really sad to just suggest a simple network share off your main pc.... you could stream stuff to whatever kit you like. thats what i do...fair bit cheaper than all that apple s**t