ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Much higher number of Flickr views than before?

I'm not Pro on Flickr any more, so can't see my exact stats.
However it seems like I'm having a lot more views in general than I ever used to.

Had a photo in Explore today for example and it's hit 12k views already with 150+ favourites.
I'm sure even Explore only used to net a few hundred views or maybe a thousand if you were lucky.

Does anyone else think view counts are increasing and does anyone know why?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think there are a lot more people using Flickr now.
I had some make explore recently and they have over 200 favs and a few thousand views each where last year they might have got hold the views, and a quarter of the favs. Also, more and more views from unknown sources, so the images are hosted somewhere else, blogs etc.

Interesting stuff.
I don't use groups any more, rarely use tags and only share photos on here.
I still seem to push 300 views per photo after a few days, regardless of subject!

The new layout of flickrs home page and one click faveing (click on the star) makes it much easier than before to fave an image. I have had my highest faved pic this year with well over 200 faves when actually it's inferior to a pic of a few years back with the same number. I take fave numbers with a pinch of salt since the new flickr.

Wow, I've only one picture that has over 1000 views total. And favourites, about 40 is my top. Need to up my game ;)

Yep definitely, very popular Explored photos for me used to be hitting 1k ish, on Monday one of mine got 4500 (and over 100 faves) in a single day without being in any groups and just with about 6 tags. About 10% of views are coming from unknown sources these days, much higher than previously where nearly every non-Flickr view could be attributed to a forum or something.

Uploading small numbers often seems to boost views dramatically, something many people appear to have cottoned onto based on the number of people I follow that seem to upload one of a set at a time over a number of days!

Haha, no-one needs to see a selfie of me - make up or not!
It does seem like photos are getting a lot more views.
The photo I had in Explore went up to 16th place.
It had about 10.5k views yesterday.
Now up to 29,300 views with 235 favourites in 2 days!

The photo in question:
13240260323_64e4df2ecd_z.jpg

No Problem. by v15ben, on Flickr

Clio 182
Such a shame that cyclist is there, so distracting to me with his stupid red jacket. Still a great photo though and ten times better than anything I can get!

Thanks, Brad.
Funnily enough it was only a snap really, taken while sitting on a bench by the road.
Quick edit and 30,000 views is the result apparently!

I don't mind the cyclist but shame his helmet is slightly cropped. I'm not going to pretend it's anywhere close to your best photo Ben but that's a remarkable number of views/faves so congrats!

Totally agree.
It's funny as my second most viewed (with 21k or so) is just a car parked up in Hong Kong.
Nothing special either.
Flickr is a funny old place!

Flickr is a funny old place!

Just goes to show how meaningless views are on Flickr (with no disrespect meant towards your photos!)

My motorsport photos taken with the Fuji X-E1 are another good example, 1-3k views for every single one of them, and growing every day, but only because they were taken with an X-E1. Far, far better shots taken with a traditional DSLR don't get anywhere near those views.

I often find it easier to get views/explores if I tag with a new camera that's out on the market that people are searching for. I obviously used that camera but could experiment by say tagging with a just out camera like a d4s or a Nikon 1 v3 neither if which I own but people may be searching for samples from!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
My mate often searches for pictures taken with his camera and lens so he can see what its capable of doing, night shots, ISO handling etc.
Sometimes its much better than reading reviews.

My mate often searches for pictures taken with his camera and lens so he can see what its capable of doing, night shots, ISO handling etc.
Sometimes its much better than reading reviews.

I do this all the time, gives a nice benchmark of what is possible (and therefore how far I've got to go to get there!) with a certain combo, and particularly for primes is really helpful in understanding the field of view a certain focal length offers, you can usually look at EXIF as well, which is handy.

Saying that, for Canon users the sample lens threads on PotN are far better for this, the standard of photography is extremely high.

99% of reviews are technical and offer very little in the way of real-world usefulness bar than for the very, very few who need ultimate image quality on 30ft wide prints. Far too much emphasis put on these in my opinion, it's incredibly rare for a genuinely bad lens to get released these days so the level of detail they go to to highlight the differences is entirely irrelevant for most of us shooting handheld putting photos on Flickr etc.