ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mr Christmas' Flamer Project

Ph2 Meg 225
Three weeks ago I traded in my first car a 1.2 for a measley 800 with the coilovers wheels and spacers on, in just under two years it went from this:
photo2-9.jpg

photo1-9.jpg

To this!

photo-1.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

Anyway after looking at insurance and checking I can afford it I made the punt and got a flame red 172.
2004 on a 53 plate
71,000 miles
Bodywork and interior excellent condition apart from a 6" scratch on the door which had been touched up and a knackered thumb grip.
Cruise control and speed limiter, was this an extra or standard on 172s?
New brakes all round, mot and new battery fitted prior to purchase.
Service history and receipts stacking up longer than my arm (not literally)

Price paid, £1890 only downside is the cambelt is due next year but no biggy as the rest makes up for it!
Here's some pictures,

photo1-8.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo1-7.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Since owning her the following have been done:
Skoda splitter
Led lamps in sidelights, numberplate light, boot, glovebox and interior lights
Paintwork corrected but will need doing again to remove deeper marks as I was rushed for time.
2 new tires to be fitted this week.

Plans are the following:
Refurb wheels in silver
Cup spoiler
Lower on cooksports
Replace numberplate lamp holder
Rs mats
Snappy retrim

Kyle.

Looks tidy, the CC and Speed Limiter are standard :]

It's amazing to think really how good the spec of the Sports are - even compared to new hatches now-a-days. The Fiesta ST doesn't have autolights/wipers, or CC, or leather (and many other things) as standard!

Ph2 Meg 225
Thanks everyone, I thought it might have been an extra as a few I looked at didn't have the buttons on the wheel!

I missed spacers off the list too that's a Must, I'm looking at spraying the fuel rail guard silver this week, how have people prepped there's?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Really nice. Love a decent flamer and going by your last car, I expect this to look well.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine's newer than that and didn't have it standard. Although I'm pretty sure mine is an import. No CD changer. Not sure if imports would have come without cruise though.

If yours is an import , it wouldn't have had an alarm fitted as standard as well as no CD changer . How is yours newer than a 53 plate ? Baring in mind they stopped manufacturing 172's in Dec 2003 . Maybe yours was manufactured earlier than the flamer , but not registered until later ? I was always led to believe the very last 172's manufactured were fitted with cruise control and speed limiter , just before the launch of the 182's in Jan 2004 .

There's a fair few 172s around on 04 plates. The odd one has popped up on here on something stupid like an 06 plate (background story was something like it was ordered, imported, then cancelled before it was registered, then sat at the docks for 2 years before being resold & registered)

There was a very good Fubar/Edde PDF guide on model differences that stated the manufacturing year & quarter that cruise & ESP were introduced. Can't find it though. This is all I can find and it's less precise: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/cl...hanges-facts-on-changes-in-production.162405/

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
If yours is an import , it wouldn't have had an alarm fitted as standard as well as no CD changer . How is yours newer than a 53 plate ? Baring in mind they stopped manufacturing 172's in Dec 2003 . Maybe yours was manufactured earlier than the flamer , but not registered until later ? I was always led to believe the very last 172's manufactured were fitted with cruise control and speed limiter , just before the launch of the 182's in Jan 2004 .

My bad. I thought I'd read his was 02.

And I have the immobiliser but on the slam panel there is no alarm sensor and I only have the immobiliser light in the dash surround not the red one on the gearstick surround.

And yes I do not have a CD changer.

Ph2 Meg 225
Anybody have a reply to the question I asked about prepping the fuel rail guard for paint?

Also I've found a black plug under the passenger seat, I take it these come pre wires for the cd changer?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Anybody have a reply to the question I asked about prepping the fuel rail guard for paint?

Also I've found a black plug under the passenger seat, I take it these come pre wires for the cd changer?

Just make sure it's clean and grease free . No need to prime , any aerosol spray will do to be honest , but as you're going for silver , you might as well use a can of high temp spray as it usually comes in silver as a standard colour . Nice Flamer by the way :smile:

Ph2 Meg 225
Bit of an update, nothing major unfortunately due to Christmas upcoming and saving for the belts to be done but here goes!

Passenger side headlight was in dire need of a refurb, done with 1200, 2000 and 3000 wet and dry. Was done once but wasn't happy so did it again, before:

photo1-13.jpg

photo2-13.jpg

After:

photo1-14.jpg

photo3-11.jpg

Next up was paint the coolant bottle and washer cap symbols.

photo4-7.jpg

New rear numberplate lamp lense fitted before:

photo3-9.jpg

After:

photo4-5.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

New plates thanks to @MarcR fixed with velcro coins before:

photo4-2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

After:

photo2-11.jpg

730E972B-2299-48F8-A35C-028BF994A9C4.jpg

Also fitted silvervisions which the keen eye may have picked up on, painted the fuel rail guard silver and fitted a smaller aerial which I will update once I have some better pictures, currently have a connects 2 aux adaptor box en route too

Reactions: Gus
There's two 172's I'm pining for at the moment. One being a Cup and the other being a flamer. I think the flamer is just about wining though.

Yours is looking great. I like the plans, subtle but they make a vast improvement overall. :up:

Ph2 Meg 225
Cheers guys, few more bits as promised, you may want to make this a project thread @Rob ?
Fuel rail guard painted silver, will be doing the Inlet at some point.

photo1-15.jpg

photo2-15.jpg

photo3-12.jpg

Silvervisions fitted, not the best photos but you get the idea

photo1-16.jpg

photo3-13.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

Finally I've also wrapped the a pillars in alcantara (not the real deal though) the colour isn't as purple in person:

photo1-17.jpg

photo2-17.jpg

Once the cambelt is out of the way in January I'll be looking at getting some cooksports or a cup spoiler whichever comes first.

Looks good! Look well the other week when it was disappearing at a rate of knots in my rear view mirror :)
It'll be awesome if done to the same standard as your old one.

Ph2 Meg 225
Is
Looks good! Look well the other week when it was disappearing at a rate of knots in my rear view mirror :smile:
It'll be awesome if done to the same standard as your old one.
Is that as it disappeared into your nearside mirror then infront? Hahahah cheers mate just wish I had the funds to do it all now as Im impatient!

Ph2 Meg 225
Quite Abit of an update, firstly the car is booked in for cambelt, dephaser etc with mick at diamond motors on Tuesday.
Since the last update the following has been done:
-aluminium footrest
-stainless steel engine cover bolts
-aux connects 2 adaptor
-Cliosport URL sticker
-Bosch aero wipers
-cup spoiler
-fattys induction setup

Now to some pictures, missing the odd few and need some proper photos by you get the idea,

Aluminium foot rest:

image-35.jpg

image-36.jpg

Stainless engine cover bolts although no pictures fitted

image-39.jpg

Cliosport URL

photo2-20.jpg

Bosch aero wipers

photo1-20.jpg

Bought a cup spoiler in mondial blue from here for 40 delivered with the exception of the usual cracked ends. got it painted by a mate who owns a spray shop which sanded the edges smooth making it unnoticeable there's any plastic missing. Painting cost £50 to paint the spoiler so £90 all in for buying it and a respray and £20 to paint the passenger mirror cap which I caught against a wall and scuffed.

Cup spoiler before

photo2-8.jpg

730E972B-2299-48F8-A35C-028BF994A9C4.jpg

Cup spoiler after

photo3-14.jpg

photo4-8.jpg

image-40.jpg

photo5-4.jpg

photo2-19.jpg

Nice beading shot

B363EB33-0C7D-4994-A90F-ED1BA7CFF01F.jpg

And finally came back to this the other day, managed to polish most out by hand until I get the da out again just can't think what has done it! 100% not from myself so must have been while parked up somewhere

photo1-19.jpg